Untitled by schg, on Flickr

April 15th, 2011

ADA12102010-001.jpg

Equipment

Tank: ADA 30c

Filtration: Eheim Classic 2211 w/ Aquatic Magic glass lily pipes

Lighting: Custom rigged 27w Hampton Bay CFL 6500k

Heater: ?

CO2: 2.5lb tank, Milwaukee regulator, GLA Inline 8/12mm Atomic diffuser, brass check valve

Extras: ADA drop checker; ADA thermometer

Flora

-Utricularia graminifolia

-Elocharis acicularis

-Vesicularia dubyana

-Anubias nana "petite"

-Rotala Sp. nanjenshan

-Rotala indica

-Microsorum pteropus

-Rotala sp. colorata

-Cryptocoryne undulata

Fauna

-Otocinclus sp

-Neocaridina denticulata sinensis

Dosing

-1 pump of each Pfertz bottle every 4 days

-1 gallon water change twice weekly with Novaqua

-Purigen in filter

Backstory

After going from reef tank to reef tank, without the financial stability we desperately needed in order to successfully operate one, we decided it was best to take a hiatus from the hobby. The decision was made to break down our 33 long, which was the aftermath of our original failure with this ADA 30c as a reef. I never actually got a chance to sell the 30c, so we brought it out of the closet and decided to try our hand at a freshwater planted aquarium, which is also new to us. We are going to learn how to do all of this FW planted business, but our goal is to maintain an attractive and CLEAN looking setup without breaking the bank.

Index

1. Intro of plans, first hardscape.

2. First planting, dry start.

3. Tank filled, glass pipes.

4. Problems.

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply
?

Photobucket ####ed me and deleted whole albums, so I figured id just restart the thread instead of having all the broken links. Guess I need to back up my stuff more often...

Welcome to my thread on my first planted tank, hopefully this venture will work out well!

At this point in time, I have the majority of my equipment already in hand (although some are just temporary until a better option is within my budget), but I have yet to actually start the tank. My wife and I made a deal where I could only actually FILL the tank once I sell the rest of my reef stuff, and I still have a 4ft 4 bulb TEK light left to sell. So for now, all I have is the hardscape done, which I'm actually quite pleased with. I know the substrate is a little high, so I might take everything down an inch or so, but other than that I think I did well.

ADA010611-001.jpg

The plans for now are a carpet of UG toward the front, some micro mini sword toward the back, christmas moss on the driftwood as well as some mini pellia, and perhaps some anubias nana petite.

forget the rest, just add water. that is a really nice scape. fw? should look nice

Thanks john, yes it is going to be fw. I think I found a buyer for my tek light, so filling should be soon.

schg - Package is on the way :) Co2 for you! Sorry it took longer than expected but you will see it early this week.

-Dave

Lol, thanks! Sorry ive been so annoying, im just always paranoid a package got lost or stolen or something. Ill let you know when I get it.

Nice, bro. Chill with a glass in front of the tank. :D

Can't wait till you fill the tank. Nice job

Ooh on anther note Aquaria studio has a decent selection of plants in stock.

Nice, bro. Chill with a glass in front of the tank. :D

Can't wait till you fill the tank. Nice job

Ooh on anther note Aquaria studio has a decent selection of plants in stock.

lol, the TV will have to do for now, since the tank isn't filled. Although, I will admit, I still spend a lot of time staring at my empty tank....Not to toot my own horn or anything, but I'm actually quite proud of this scape, it being my first planted tank and all.

And I know! They actually have UG in stock, although it is expensive. As soon as my light is gone, I am going to buy some UG and dwarf hair grass to start my carpet. They also said they could order almost anything I want, and they are trying to get more into the planted scene with nice glassware and ADA style stuff.

Ooh ya, I've ordered some stuff from Vin. He can get you a good plant variety. What fish are you deciding on? A carpeted bottom will look pretty sweet.

Ooh ya, I've ordered some stuff from Vin. He can get you a good plant variety. What fish are you deciding on? A carpeted bottom will look pretty sweet.

Only planning on a trio of zebra ottocinclus cats for now, may eventually go for some micro rasboras down the line though. I am really planning on going with some shrimp, not so much for breeding but just for keeping. I was planning on starting off easy with some cherry shrimp, but I think I have enough experience with stuff to start off with the crystal red shrimp.

ya, you'll be fine with crystal reds. I've kept both. Ocean blue used to cary both a while back. The cherries will breed like mad. I might start a tank in my room and keep the salt in the living room. If I keep on following your thread, you might inspire me to get mine back up..lol I have always wanted a pair of cockatoo dwarf cichilds crusing the planted carpet. ha ha

ya, you'll be fine with crystal reds. I've kept both. Ocean blue used to cary both a while back. The cherries will breed like mad. I might start a tank in my room and keep the salt in the living room. If I keep on following your thread, you might inspire me to get mine back up..lol I have always wanted a pair of cockatoo dwarf cichilds crusing the planted carpet. ha ha

DO ITTTT.

I'm going to start a NR revolution.

Cockatoos are sweet, too bad I'm really not too concerned with fish.

My wife really likes regular oto's, and I like the zebras so I think I'm going to go with a trio of 2 zebras and 1 reg (see how this relationship works?). She's not a fan of the shrimp, but I start a little planted tank at work and got some free cherry shrimp so I'm having fun learning with them. I doubt I'll have a problem with the CRS as well.

I SOLD MY LIGHT TODAY!

No LFS had any UG or dwarf hair grass, so I bought some from a guy on the planted tank forum. It will be here Saturday. Be excited.

schg - Package is on the way :) Co2 for you! Sorry it took longer than expected but you will see it early this week.

-Dave

Still no package :tears:

My check from Marineland hasn't come yet either. The postal gods are not smiling down on me...

Very nice.

Is that dwarf sagittaria or micro sword in the foreground?

or is it the same as the dwarf hair grass in the bowl?

Nice. Hey sc does the dhg grow fast?

Thanks. I'll let you know soon! lol. I have to keep it submerged, which is why it is separate from the display.

Very nice.

Is that dwarf sagittaria or micro sword in the foreground?

Thanks. The plant in the display is UG, or Utricularia graminifolia. The bowl contains Dwarf Hair Grass, or Elocharis acicularis.

I had a couple people interested in my light fixture, so I thought I would share more. The lamp is the boostled par30 all white bulb, and the fixture is an outdoor bulb socket screwed into conduit fittings, and wired to a powertool replacement cord. All materials for the conduit fixture were found at Home Depot for under $25 I believe.

ADA011611-001.jpg

ADA011611-002.jpg

It is really a nice crisp white, and has a good amount of light to it. For the 30c, it has a solid spread of the whole tank, but when I get the 60p I will probably get another for better coverage.

I have a secret love for planted tanks that I just discovered. You're totally feeding it too with this lovely tank. I'm glad this one is here amidst all the reef tanks. I get my little dose of planted without leaving the site.

I'm definitely following along. Loving the scape so far.

Do you have any recommended reading or recommended sites for planted tanks? I wouldn't mind learning more about them.

Archived