Rainbow Milli

4 other unamed acropora

Orange Gorgonian

Purple Gorgonian

Sea Rod

Fish:

Royal Gramma

Invertebrates:

Porcelain Crab (Neopetrolisthes Oshimai)

Anemone Shrimp x 3

Ceriths, dwarf ceriths and nassarius

Tridacna Derasa

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The ADA is a great start... omgomgomg

I was originally going with a canister and Lily pipes (Still have them NIB) but decided to go with a Mame M-overflow and sump...

I will be following your build...

:Subscribed:

MySafeWordIsWhiskey
Plans sound great, ill add you to the ADA thread when I get home later.

Thanks Schg. Your tank is looking beautiful. I am looking forward to seeing the planted tank develop.

Thanks Schg. Your tank is looking beautiful. I am looking forward to seeing the planted tank develop.

Thanks, lets hope it looks good when I start plants! Lol

Im planning on doing another ADA reef eventually, and was going to do either dual 60p's or 60f's, one planted one reef.

Are you going to do sump or stick with the canister filter? Cause a display fuge to the side of the tank in one of the sides would be awesome.

MySafeWordIsWhiskey

This is coming. :)

IMG_0539_SM.jpg

A display fuge would be too cool. I think it would have to be something custom though.

Crap, now you got me thinking.

pai-mei.jpg

MySafeWordIsWhiskey

I looked at the set-up and if I did a 45F I could fit it in one of the spaces to the left of the main tank.

So, this would be a display fuge, and I could hide a sump behind the cabinet doors.

Slide1.jpg

I am no plumber, so I would need some help getting something like this plumbed up. I was thinking a MAME overflow for both.

Any thoughts on this?

You will have to make sure that your tank is the highest point. If the fuge is higher than the tank, and where the circle for it it looks that it may be, you will have to pump the water from the tank to the fuge the the water would drain to the sump and the be pumped back into the display. It would be almost impossiable to get the to pumps to match up. But if you keep your fuge lower than the overflow then you can let gravity do its job.

If he drained to the sump, then pumped water up to the fuge, then drained from the fuge to the tank wouldn't that work?

2 MAMEs would be awesome, but Aquatouch is pretty unsure of when they will get anymore in and are still trying to fill pre-orders. So you might want to look into a temporary option until then. Perhaps a canister filter that returns into a display fuge and then some sort of return from the fuge to the tank?

MySafeWordIsWhiskey

I am intrigued by the idea of a display fuge. I am not sold on the tank in that spot... I have another nice piece of furniture that would allow me to place two tanks side by side and with a small sump underneath. I have seen some set-ups with a DT, display fuge and sump, but I really do not understand the plumbing. It seems like it would be difficult to do.

I keep going back and forth between the above and something very simple like this:

http://www.advancedaquarist.com/2010/4/aquarium

I could have this thing up and running with a MarineLand Duetto 100 in short order. If it works great. And I can always, change, tinker and add later.

Sounds like a neat idea. You may consider building a shelf or something to prop the main tank up some. Maybe it's just the pictures, but it seems like the tank is too small for the large opening.

Put in a shelf, and maybe find a way to put the display refugium underneath it?

If he drained to the sump, then pumped water up to the fuge, then drained from the fuge to the tank wouldn't that work?

2 MAMEs would be awesome, but Aquatouch is pretty unsure of when they will get anymore in and are still trying to fill pre-orders. So you might want to look into a temporary option until then. Perhaps a canister filter that returns into a display fuge and then some sort of return from the fuge to the tank?

That would work fine and probably would be more beneficial to the pods to not be chopped up in a pump, rather go down a nice overflow. I am a fan of the refugium being above the tank!

MySafeWordIsWhiskey

Still trying to get my head around this. :huh:

I want to make this as clean as possible.

So, assuming I use the MAME overflows:

1. Display tank drains to sump by MAME overflow.

2. Sump pumps to fuge (MAME return).

3. Fuge drains to display tank (into MAME return?). It just does not seem like this part would work.

What happens when I lose/regain power?

You cant break up mame overflows like that. The overflow and return are connected together and they use a venturi to start the syphon again after a power outage.

If you are wanting to do the display fuge, it might be an idea to look at what we were talking about with a canister replacing your sump. You main tank drains into the canister, the canister pumps to the fuge, and you have some sort of gravity fed overflow pulling water from the display fuge into the display tank. That would probably be the simplest way to get that done.

Otherwise you'll have to do a lot of pump matching to get the flow between all three tanks to stay even. With the method mentioned above, all you'd have to figure out is how to feed the display tank from the display fuge.

MySafeWordIsWhiskey
You cant break up mame overflows like that. The overflow and return are connected together and they use a venturi to start the syphon again after a power outage.

If you are wanting to do the display fuge, it might be an idea to look at what we were talking about with a canister replacing your sump. You main tank drains into the canister, the canister pumps to the fuge, and you have some sort of gravity fed overflow pulling water from the display fuge into the display tank. That would probably be the simplest way to get that done.

Otherwise you'll have to do a lot of pump matching to get the flow between all three tanks to stay even. With the method mentioned above, all you'd have to figure out is how to feed the display tank from the display fuge.

This makes much more sense. Anyone have any ideas on a way to get water back to the display tank?

You could make a pod water slide. Make an over flow for the fuge and run pipe down to the DT. If you did not want to see it you could run the over flow out of the back of the fuge then down behind the stand then bring it back in just above the DT so It will spill into the tank. You could make a little waterfall into the tank. I know that you would not have a silent set up then so you could see if that would bother you or not. I think the sound could be peaceful. The only thing with this set up is you will have to rely more on your powerheads for flow in your DT since you would only have a soft flow back into the DT.

MySafeWordIsWhiskey

Got new stuffs. :)

Rock is from ReefCleaners. This is beautiful stuff. There will be dry sand added too. This is a first go at aquascaping. Let me know what you think.

Minimal:

P1030246.jpg

A little more:

P1030247.jpg

More still:

P1030248.jpg

Just waiting on the light from Nanotuners.

• 2 weeks later...

how many quantity rocks did you order? i am trying to order some and only need about 4-5 rocks only, how many quantity do you think i need for my ADA 30c?

MySafeWordIsWhiskey
how many quantity rocks did you order? i am trying to order some and only need about 4-5 rocks only, how many quantity do you think i need for my ADA 30c?

I ordered twenty pounds from ReefCleaners. They contacted me right away to ask what type of rock I was looking for. I explained that I had a small tank and that I was looking for small pieces and nothing flat. Two days later I had exactly what I was looking for and then some. I think I have a little more than half of the order left over. Those guys are great.

Archived