Innovative Marine Aquariums

Diy Moonlights With Pics

FISHHEAD

here is my version of moonlights from target stores (cobbs 3 adjustable blue led's) They are called mood lights

I found them in the auto section. ($9.99) is what i payed.

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

i had laying around an old universal ac/dc power adaptor (COBY BRAND)I cut off the tip and connected to the led lights. The adaptor is rated at 110 volts 50/60Hz output is swicthable so i have it at 3 volts dc is 1000mA.You can buy an adaptor at TARGET,WALMART,K-MART,FRY'S thay run about $9 to $13 bucks.

led's on ( nice and bright )

If i move the switch on the ac/dc plug to 1.5 volts the lights are not that bright

If i set it at 4.5 volts it is just to bright for my 10 gallon might be great for a bigger tank.

(my moonlights are set at 3volts)

Here is a photo of the led's in action on my 10 gallon tank,sorry that all the photo's are not so good(just got the camera)????????

"Enjoy" this project ran me about $10 bucks not bad..... man i need to learn how to use this f^%#$#&n camera !!!!!!

hey phinhead thanks.. this is on my 10 gallon tank. Iam right now doing mods on my jbj nano (lights , surface skimming , moonlights , two fans and sealing the back so water will flow right and also a top off system. I will post pics when i am done with mods.?.?>?

What lights are you putting in the nano . . . I'm probably doing the CSL 32W retrofit kit and now probably some moonlight LED's :)

Ever since I put a purigen filter in my nano, I haven't had any surface buildup problems.

You dont need moonlights, but they are cool. They give you better polyp extension, less stress on the fish, and make night viewing easy. There are many LED DIY jobs out there and they work great. Looks good, makes me want to fix the two the rusted off on my 75...thats what I get for not using liquid electrical tape.

I have the same fixture for my 20L except I got them off of ebay for $5. They're really bright. I'm thinking about modding them into my hood so that they shine up and reflect back into the tank as opposed to having the three circular spotlights.

Ok, just went out and bought the moodlights, and stopped at RC and bought a 3v ac/dc adapter 1000ma 100v 50/60Hz.

Rigged it up and the LCD's are pulsing on and off. What the heck is going on with it? When i plugged it in the car on the way home with the plug it came with it worked fine.

Any ideas?

I hooked it up to a 5.9v adapter and it worked fine. If I leave it on there it will burn out though right?

I don't have another 3v adapter and I just spent $20 for this one, and I can't bring it back cause I already cut the wires.

Originally posted by JG1

Ok, just went out and bought the moodlights, and stopped at RC and bought a 3v ac/dc adapter 1000ma 100v 50/60Hz.

Rigged it up and the LCD's are pulsing on and off. What the heck is going on with it? When i plugged it in the car on the way home with the plug it came with it worked fine.

Any ideas?

Ummm.... yea... Car is 12volts.... your adapter is 3volts... You are not getting enough power....

FISHHEAD said he's using 3volts. Thats what I'm using tghe 3v adapter. I have a 5.9v adapter it works perfect on but I don't want to burn the LED's out with it poushing too much juice threw it.

?????

Don't use 12 volts. I made that mistake with mine, they pop. I was wondering if they have a resister in the car plug in? I haven't taken the time to looks in the plug. I'm ####ed I blew them up and wasted the 10 bucks,

Archived