Pod Your Reef

Cadlight 12G w Retro LED for SPS Reef

nano_tank

After taking a break from reefing for 2 years, I've decided to research and learn from you all to find the ideal equipment and environment to support a Mixed reef of SPS and softies in a Nano sub 12G tank. I chose the following equipment

Cadlight 12G

DIY retro LED

Vortech MP10

Aqualife 115 Skimmer

JBJ Nano LED for fuge

Digital Aquatic Reef Keeper light

BRS Dosing Pump (2) for dosing 2 Parts

DIY ATO system

Here's the picture of the tank when it was first cycling. This will be a learning experience and I hope I will learn even more from this forum as I go along.

post-52290-1286507586_thumb.jpg

Here's the picture of the tank Cycling and with Rock work. Noticed how the factory PC light is not too bright? The enclosure is very nice though so I'm going to use it to house a Retro LED kit. Let me know what you guys think about the rock work. I also made a ghetto DIY Media Rack as the default one you can only hold filter floss. If I put chemipure at the bottom, it would reduce or stop flow to the other chamber because it would clog the opening at the bottom. This new rack allows me to put filter floss on top and chemipure plus whatever else in the middle and have gap at the bottom for better flow.

post-52290-1286550451_thumb.jpg

post-52290-1286550599_thumb.jpg

Here's the picture of the tank Cycling and with Rock work. Noticed how the factory PC light is not too bright? The enclosure is very nice though so I'm going to use it to house a Retro LED kit. Let me know what you guys think about the rock work. I also made a ghetto DIY Media Rack as the default one you can only hold filter floss. If I put chemipure at the bottom, it would reduce or stop flow to the other chamber because it would clog the opening at the bottom. This new rack allows me to put filter floss on top and chemipure plus whatever else in the middle and have gap at the bottom for better flow.

You will like the LED's on this tank! Your Media rack will work good...

I made one for my 12G also...

1stChamberMediarack.jpg

Obviously, your craftsmanship is way better than mine!! Looks really nice! I've checked out your tank, pretty awesome. Your LED build is also pretty wild...... I'm not as handy, so I'm just going to stuff mine into the existing enclosure.

1 LED was bad and Rapid LED is shipping out a new one. I'm using the Cadlight T5 enclosure to house the DIY LEDs. The light consist of 8 RB and 4 White and I get a beautiful crisp 14-16K look. LED are very difficult to take pictures of, the actual color is whiter than this picture shows.

post-52290-1286735521_thumb.jpg

post-52290-1286735532_thumb.jpg

post-52290-1286735539_thumb.jpg

post-52290-1286735556_thumb.jpg

post-52290-1286735561_thumb.jpg

post-52290-1286735569_thumb.jpg

Looks like you are off to a good start. Grouping your LR in the middle (away from the sides) is good since it makes cleaning the glass so much easier. I added two LED strips to my canopy yesterday (replaced two of the stock T5s).

Enjoy the tank!

Looks like you are off to a good start. Grouping your LR in the middle (away from the sides) is good since it makes cleaning the glass so much easier. I added two LED strips to my canopy yesterday (replaced two of the stock T5s).

Enjoy the tank!

Yeah, I saw your setup. Very clean how you added it into the existing setup. Very nice and your tank is amazing!

Nice tank! that lamp came out very clean. Welcome to the club of the frustrated hobbyist taking pics under LEDs

Sammy, your Acrylic and LED build skills are amazing! I really love the light you built for your tank, it's like the Apple of LED lights. I think you should set up shop and start selling them! I wish I have a Nikon so I can take nice pics like you. I'm stuck with a crappy Cannon point and shoot and iPhone 4 for now. Your tank is definitely very inspiring, I am following your thread to learn more.

Very nice and clean set-up... Looks great and killer light!

Your Solana is very nice. Is that the stock fan that comes with your tank or did you buy that separately for the MH light? My tank temperature is hovering around 83 and I need a fan to take it down a few degrees.

• 4 months later...

Archived