Cultivated Reef

rollei's Biocube 8 tank thread

rollei

FTS 8/15/10

IMG_0690.jpg

I started the tank at the very beginning of 2010. I finally decided on a biocube 8 because I really liked the size. I knew the stock lighting was no good, so I opted for my own DIY LED here is my story:

The LED portion was just a standard build.

Supplies:
  • Heat sink + themal epoxy
  • 5 CREE whites
  • 4 CREE royal blues.
  • 24 volt power supply
  • 2 dimable buckpuck current regulators.
  • Solder + wires + project box + switches

Here are some pictures:

IMG_1614-1.jpg

This is the powersupply and the project box which contains the current regulators, knobs for dimming, and the switches. One set is for the blue lights, and the other is for the whites.

IMG_1607-1.jpg

All glued down and wired up B) The red line is the blues, and the white is the whites.

IMG_1608-1.jpg

Let there be light!

IMG_1589-1.jpg

I installed a GFCI outlet. Safety first :lol:

IMG_1609-1.jpg

I made a mess on the carpet. DIY projects are so messy

Current FTS: (coming soon)

Livestock:

(coming soon)

Equipment:

• Biocube 8
  • 100W heater
  • Stock pump + Koralia nano
  • 27W Dimmable CREE LED Upgrade
  • 12 lbs LR + 1 in. LS

I got the rock from reefcleaners.org, and this is just normal fine argonite sand. This picture is from a very long time ago at the very beginning:

IMG_1612-1.jpg

I kept a few coral in this setup, but I quickly realized how imposing the scape looked. It was too overcrowded with rock, and needed more open space. I took inspiration from the August 09 tank of the month found here

I ended up with a scape that looks like this:

IMG_0213-1.jpg

This is a very old picture. Please excuse the algae. I accidentally overfed a TON over at least a month. The algae took away all the nitrates though, so the coral were completely safe.

The current tank has little or no algae left - it disappeared when I stopped overfeeding.

more recent pictures will come on the weekend. This is just a start

Thanks for the replies guys. I added a FTS to the first post, and here are close ups of the halves of the tank.

Left

IMG_0694.jpg

Right

IMG_0693.jpg

My favorite coral in this tank the rics:

IMG_0695.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
what size heatsink did you use and where did you get it from?

ahha sorry for the late reply, i got the heatsink from heatsinkusa.com I forgot the exact size, it was one of the 5 inch something profiles, and the length was just so it would fit in the hood.

Archived