Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

Marine Planted Tank Aqua Scaping

bitts

The purpose of this thread is to provide a guide to aqua scaping with macros & there selection for that purpose. topics to cover would be growth patterns, attachment, growth rates. anything that may prove to be usefull to a noob trying this for the first time. please post any recommendations or experience that could be usefull.

Here are some tips from what I have done to attach macros...

Some macros like flame algae, red spot, titan need to be held with a rubber band or held down with a piece of rubble rock...rubber band works better.

Titan will eventually attach itself.

scrolling algae and ochtodes is better wedged in a crevice in the rock...glue may work on the edge of scrolling algae but me kill the area the glue touches...better to be safe than sorry :P

ochtodes will take a few days to attach.

Be picky about what you macroalgae to add to tank. All are beautiful IMO but nutrients will be taken up by the faster growing macro and starve out the slower growing ones.

when aqua scaping leave room in the sand for the macros that have runners (caulerpas) or they will root on your rocks and it is a PITA to remove them.

will add more as it comes along :flower:

Is there anyone who could address the differences & similarities, of fresh water & marine planted tanks.

brown macros should almost ALWAYS be put towards the top of the tank. as they tend to require much higher lighting needs.

also flow makes a big difference in growth. you will need to place the macros according to flow. and the tank will generally come out in a way that is aesthetically pleasing as long as you place the macros according to their light and flow needs.

i also HIGHLY recommend starting your seagrass bed FIRST. and then adding the macros. for some reason it seems to work out much better this way. (i cant say for sure why but just in experience in my multiple macro tanks)

thats all for now

johnmaloney

Also what kind of flow is important. A member who used to be here eklikewhoa, had an awesome macro tank that looked way better in video than in pics because he used wavemakers. Wave makers can be useful because they open up the amount of macros you can keep, some macros aren't supposed to stay still, they only survive by being pushed back and forth by wave action in the surge zone, or in turbulent water. The nice looking mature Asparagopsis taxiformis is this way, some dictyota species for sure... The wave action also exposes the macro to more light coverage and improves growth much in the way a tumbler does.

are there combinations that work better together than others. i have seen types discussed as pulse & fast, but still have not caught on to everything.

AdrianBryce

What setting is best for an MP10 in a 20L macro tank? I have it set on lagoon random turned up to about 2/3s power. I get good wave action on the end with the vortech, but not so much on the far end.

That should work...all the Halimeda I have was already attached, but It look like you can also stick it between rocks to hold it till it attaches.

maybe someone else can chime in here :)

speaking to the topic of setting up a biotope specific tank. one thing to maybe consider would be depths to which specific macro's will grow. an example would be Halimeda which will grow at lower depths (130m) than most others. making it suitable to most displays.

• 3 weeks later...

mmm...

now I know that all of this is about planted fresh water setups. but there has to be something to steal.

Archived