Cultivated Reef

my new planted macro tank!

briansbelle

briansbelle

i set this tank up about 2 weeks ago with all live rock(mostly from my sump) and macros from my 40 breeder(left some pieces in the 40B so i can grow them in both tanks!!)

all of the macros came from maria(got2envy) except the fern caluerpa.

here is a list of equipment and live stock in the tank:

equip:

k1

100 watt stealth heater-will be replacing with a 50 watt soon

mag float small

fluval3 internal filter

30" nova 2x24w T5HO fixture(2x10000k) will be replacing with better bulbs soon(any recommendations?)

30" coralife t5 2x18w(NO) also need better bulbs for this light(1x10000k and 1x actinic)

livestock:

flame algae

red spotted macro

blue ochtodes-grows like crazy!!(little pieces were stuck in my overflow, and its now turned into a bush..lol,will also grow on the glass, i have a little bit growing on the glass in here)

red titan

blade caluerpa

fern caluerpa-from a local reefer

codium

20+lbs of live rock

1 emerald crab

firefish

yellow clown goby

6 sexy shrimp

2 porcelain crabs

1 pom pom crab

tons of stomatella snails

cerith snails

nass snails

2 sand sifting crabs

ok enough rambling, on with the pics LOL

DSC02493.jpg

DSC02496.jpg

twitch my firefish:hes sooo pretty, the purple line on his head glows and looks holographic...

DSC02507.jpg

birdsnest that was severely bleached by my t5s on my 40B, put it in here on the sand bed and color is coming back:

DSC02508.jpg

red flame with lots of O2 bubbles:

DSC02497.jpg

blue porcelain crab(and his molt lol) he hangs out by the intake of the filter, pretty smart! LOL!

DSC02474.jpg

blue again, guess he thought i was gonna get him, notice the claw in the air..lol

DSC02472.jpg

blue shrooms

DSC02477.jpg

shroom/feather duster rock(lower left)

DSC02476.jpg

red porcelain crab filter feeding

DSC02504.jpg

red again

DSC02502.jpg

zoa/paly rock

DSC02481.jpg

yellow clown goby on codium algae, hes teeny lol

DSC02466.jpg

HUGE asterina starfish-hard to tell how big he is in the pic but hes about the size of a nickel.

DSC02518.jpg

sexy shrimp on a blue shroom, sorry for the blurry pic :)

DSC02513.jpg

DSC02512.jpg

thanks for looking!!

belle

• Replies 133
  • Created
  • Last Reply
briansbelle

thanks!!! i will post there too!!

i looked for a velvet damsel for a while and found him at my LFS for $7......he was the most active, and no clamped fins so he came home with me...

briansbelle

Thanks maria, if it wasnt for you i would not have been able to set this tank up and do it right :) Thank you again for the sweet macros and let me know when you start fragging that awesome macro you just picked up, i love it! :)

meganistkrieg

Are you not running a filter on this, or did I just miss it?? Looking to start my own macro tank soon and reading up on it. What type of substrate is that, too? Everything looks GREAT!

Thanks maria, if it wasnt for you i would not have been able to set this tank up and do it right :) Thank you again for the sweet macros and let me know when you start fragging that awesome macro you just picked up, i love it! :)

:blush:

Ok I will let ya know :)

briansbelle
Are you not running a filter on this, or did I just miss it?? Looking to start my own macro tank soon and reading up on it. What type of substrate is that, too? Everything looks GREAT!

Thanks!

No filter, i will be adding an ac20 on there just to run carbon for a little b/c there is a film ontop of the water.

The substrate is the bagged live sand(caribsea) which i know doesnt really matter if i buy it live or not, i just bought it bc i like the size and color ;)

This tank is chock full of awesome!! Fantastic use and mix of macro algae.

I look forward to following this one....and also getting my hands on some of Maria's macro myself :)

-Adam

briansbelle

Ordered the new livestock for the tank.

Going with:

4 sexy shrimp

1 pom pom crab

2 porcelains

emerald crab(hes in there now)

fire fish

yellow clown goby

will get pics of the new scape and livestock once they arrive on weds.

briansbelle
tank looks awesome im jealous!!!!!

wouldnt put a mantis in with all that though!!!

Yeah no mantis is this tank.

AM- i cant wait either, i just hope i dont get an evil pom pom crab. Read that some can be real pricks and kill porcelains, gobies, and sexies :( hopefully with the tank being a 20 long everyone has enough room and they will def be well fed ;)

Uhuru-thanks!!! That fern i got from you is growing like a weed :)

Archived