Cultivated Reef

Bottomless 10g

racerfreak

FTS

IMG_1345.jpg

IMG_1353.jpg

• EQUIPMENT
  • 10g AGA
  • PAR38 6500k LED bulb (from ledwholesalers.com)
  • Current USA Nova Extreme Pro 20" 6x18w T5HO Fixture
  • R2 Moonlight
  • MP10
  • Subcurrent filter
  • AC30
  • HOT Magnum canister filter
  • 3 x digital thermometers
  • 100w Jager Heater

• CORALS
  • 1 x Yuma
  • 6 x Ricordea
  • 2 x Mushrooms
  • 1 x Zoa Colony

So I inevitably sold my NanoCube 28G, I just wasn't happy with it. I had to put the little guys somewhere, and looks like the only tank I had in the house was a 10g. Luckily my NEP fits, and works well with just the dusk lights. Now I just need to figure out what tank to get. I am considering GLA 18x18x18 , BioCube29, Cad 22g, or a Finnex M tank. I guess we will see, but till I make my final decision, here is my current tank:

IMG_1080.jpg

IMG_1083.jpg

IMG_1087.jpg

IMG_1094.jpg

IMG_1095.jpg

IMG_1110.jpg

IMG_1117.jpg

IMG_1125.jpg

IMG_1130.jpg

IMG_1121.jpg

IMG_1122.jpg

IMG_1127.jpg

So finally after 3yrs of trying to buy a tank during the Petco $1 per gallon sale I buy a 20H :lol: I've decided to go with a 20H to a 10g, 15g, or custom 20x12x12 sump. I was originally going to go with the 29 gallon but finding a lamp that fits a 30" is not worth the extra money when it uses the same lamps. Plus I have a stand that fits a 24" wide tank and it's easy to find them cheap if I want a different one.

I've never drilled a tank or gone with a sump, so I have a lot of planning ahead. I'm glad I picked out a tank setup and I already have a 36x12 piece of black acrylic to use for the sump. My first step is what overflow design should I use. It is going to go in my bedroom so I need to to me the most silent overflow possible.

My 20H tank :happy:

IMG_1143.jpg

I'm deciding now between a 24" 150w Sunpod or a 24" 4x24w T5HO Tek. I have decided to build a stand, just because the one I have is really crappy and it's cheaper than buying one for $200. Also I need to figure out what size piping I want to use, I'm thinking 3/4". Do you guys think 3/4" will be suitable for a "Herbie" overflow?

tough choice on the lights. both have pros and cons. but i am just now getting into the t5s myself. i have the 20 inch NEP fixture and love it. gonna get the nanotuners uvl bulbs when they are ready to ship.

I know a TEK light with good bulbs is better than HQI but I love the shimmer... I will have to see.

Also I am not building a stand because I found a great deal on this great office cabinet that will give me plenty of space inside for a bigger fuge. I will just need to paint it back, not bad for $60 shipped :lol:

ameriwood-industries-tiverton-2-door-storage-cabinet-expert-plum_1126397_175.jpg

Good news, I just bought a 24" 4x24w Tek fixture for $232.42 shipped with legs :happy: and I got my stand today and it matches the dining room table in the apartment so no need to paint it black.

SO I splurged on some more coral, a thing of polyps (no idea what they are, a gree/blue mushroom, orange ric, orange yuma, and some red monti. It's all doing well except the red monti, I'm thinking my water is too crappy and I noticed my blue spot blenny nibbling at it. Is this normal? :o is my blenny killing my monti?

Also I went to Walmart today to buy Distilled water for $0.83 and found this awesome clip on light for about $8. I then headed to the bulb section to see what they had. To my surprise I found LED lights, now these are no PAR38 lights but it stated Par30. I am assuming this will be enough for my refugium and I only spent $50 after tax. I am expecting to save on electricity and I already found out it gets a lot less hot than energy saver bulbs. I can touch the light after an hour and it just feels warm. It is a GE 10w 320limen 4led bulb with what seem to be 24degree optics. I'm not 100% on the optics but it states it covers 24 degrees.

IMG_1165.jpg

IMG_1167.jpg

IMG_1169.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

PICTURES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

FTS

IMG_1183.jpg

My Clowns ( I love them if you can't tell... plus they are camera whores)

IMG_1223.jpg

IMG_1195.jpg

IMG_1214.jpg

IMG_1217.jpg

IMG_1222.jpg

IMG_1218.jpg

IMG_1252.jpg

My Blenny (he is very camera shy... poor thing)

IMG_1198.jpg

IMG_1196.jpg

My Feather Duster

IMG_1203.jpg

Finally My Corals :lol:

IMG_1204.jpg

IMG_1228.jpg

IMG_1230.jpg

IMG_1231.jpg

IMG_1232.jpg

Well I ordered a 38 par 6500k led bulb, just waiting for it to arrive. I'm thinking about saving up for a Finnex instead of doing a sump, but if I do a sump I'm going to buy a 24 x18 x18 display tank.

• 4 weeks later...

Update :lol:

IMG_1345.jpg

IMG_1353.jpg

I finally put in my subcurrent filter and ended up rearranging some rock because of some problems. First I found I have evil pods that are eating coral :angry: , I have this clear film on part of my rock, and my fan worm is missing :huh: Any ideas to what the film is and what happened to mu worm? I swear at night when I turned my lights on briefly I saw this brown proboscis like thing sticking out form a hole in the rock.

clear slime :huh:

IMG_1350.jpg

the evil pods :angry:

(look at the center of the rock)

IMG_1317.jpg

IMG_1314.jpg

IMG_1321.jpg

IMG_1325.jpg

IMG_1327.jpg

Archived