Top Shelf Aquatics

DBarsotti's Tank On A Hill

DBarsotti

New to NR so I thought i'd share my tank.

Here's my 40g breeder as is it today. At the end of the month I will be upgrading my display to a 120g

The system now includes, 40g display, 15g frag tank, and a 15g sump.

Display Lighting: 36" Current USA Outer Orbit 2x150watt MH, 4xT5.

DSC_0055.jpg

DSC_0017.jpg

DSC_0011.jpg

DSC_0005-1-1.jpg

DSC_0084.jpg

DSC_0250.jpg

My new favorite :D

DSC_0135.jpg

DSC_0123-1.jpg

DSC_0155.jpg

Thanks for looking, I'll Post some more when I get a chance

• Replies 130
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Thanks for all the kind words, i really appreciate it.

Please show us more pics and I'd love to see how your sump is setup, etc.

Thanks everyone!

Picture of the whole system.

DSC_0041.jpg

The sump/Fuge. (just got back from vacation, it needs some cleaning)

DSC_0043.jpg

More corals.

DSC_0045.jpg

DSC_0051.jpg

DSC_0008.jpg

Some of the frags in my Frag tank.

DSC_0034.jpg

Thanks everyone!

I have seen this tank build before... Hmmmmmmmm.... Very nice though !

??

redkneecoral
New to NR so I thought i'd share my tank.

Here's my 40g breeder as is it today. At the end of the month I will be upgrading my display to a 75g

The system now includes, 40g display, 15g frag tank, and a 15g sump.

Display Lighting: 36" Current USA Outer Orbit 2x150watt MH, 4xT5.

DSC_0055.jpg

DSC_0017.jpg

DSC_0011.jpg

DSC_0005-1-1.jpg

DSC_0084.jpg

DSC_0250.jpg

My new favorite :D

DSC_0135.jpg

DSC_0123-1.jpg

DSC_0155.jpg

DSC_0250.jpg

Thanks for looking, I'll Post some more when I get a chance

OMG what an extreme looking tank. Dude, you are the master reefer.

I really don't know where to begin to say.

AWESOME

how long have this tank been up and running for.

:bowdown:omgomgomgomgomgomgomgomgomg

TOTM!

I 2nd that

OMG what an extreme looking tank. Dude, you are the master reefer.

I really don't know where to begin to say.

AWESOME

how long have this tank been up and running for.

Thanks, the tank has been up and running for 3 years in Oct. but its been SPS dominate for about 2.

Things in the tank are really starting to get crowded so the new upgrade to a 75g display is going to be awesome.

Thanks, the tank has been up and running for 3 years in Oct. but its been SPS dominate for about 2.

Things in the tank are really starting to get crowded so the new upgrade to a 75g display is going to be awesome.

LED's!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!. Did you buy that big Acro colony or has it grown that much?? Is that a Yellow Tang in the 15g frag tank? :huh:

LED's!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!. Did you buy that big Acro colony or has it grown that much?? Is that a Yellow Tang in the 15g frag tank? :huh:

Ha, no LEDs I am strong supporter of MHs. Every frag in the tank was grown from a 1-2" frag.

Yes, That is Tiny Tim the tang, he will be the new boss of the 75g in 2 weeks and the current purple tang in my 40g, Jåger, will be getting a new bigger home.

Also the entire right side of that large acro colony (ORA Miami Orchid) was cut off to let lower corals be able to get more light.

Stunning!!! Absolutely stunning!!!

Your tank is seriously TOTM worthy.

Ha I don't know about that but thank you very very much!

It really is.

Where do you get your SPS?

I used to get most of corals from Atlantis cause its about an hour from my house. Now I mostly get my corals from Neptune and other reefers. Ha i got tired of paying $80+ per 1/2" of coral

firefishbrain

Firstly, Beautiful corals! IMO, keep this tank up and plumb the 75 in with the rest of the system!

I do have some questions- Could you possibly share what/when/how you dose the system? Such regiments should be replicated by other hobbyists to verify (and produce) success such as yours!

Also... Hooray for another system set up by a window! I'm positive, without a doubt, that that surely is a reason for some of the great color and growth! yes???

Firstly, Beautiful corals! IMO, keep this tank up and plumb the 75 in with the rest of the system!

I do have some questions- Could you possibly share what/when/how you dose the system? Such regiments should be replicated by other hobbyists to verify (and produce) success such as yours!

Also... Hooray for another system set up by a window! I'm positive, without a doubt, that that surely is a reason for some of the great color and growth! yes???

Thank you. Plumbing in the 75g would be a nice but there just isn't enough room in the living room for that, also along with the need for a bigger display my 40g is a really poorly made tank, the front glass has about a 1/4" bow in it and I feel if i don't change the tank soon i'm going to have 40+ gallons of water all over the nice hardwood floor i worked so hard to put in ha.

Ok lets see.

I use B-ionic 2 part alk/ca to replenish the extreme demand for Ca in the tank. I use "Drews dosing pumps" that i got from BRS, these are hooked up to my AquaController. 80% of the dosing on the tank is done at night every 2 hours in small amounts to try and keep Ph stable. I also run my sump/fuge light at night but the night time dosing is what really helps with Ph swings. Dosing is also done at 9am and noon to help give the Ph an extra boost during the day. Even with all my efforts my Ph still swings from 8.4 during the day to 8.0 at night. (The swings before the dosing pumps were way more drastic, 8.4-7.75 or lower)

I try to maintain my Ca at 440-460ppm. I test for this every month and Ca is the only thing i test for now.

A year ago I used to struggle keeping my Mg up and this lead to an over dose and a semi tank crash and i almost lost all of my corals.

Heres are some very unfortunate pictures of the semi crash...

photo2-8.jpg

photo-25.jpg

I ended up not losing any corals and everything made an amazing recovery (took about 6 months)

I solved the Mg problem by switching to Tropic Marine Pro salt which keeps my Mg at 1500ppm.

I use 1/2 cup of "two little fishies" carbon and change it every 3 weeks. I also do a 7g (around 10%) water change on the system every Sunday religiously.

And yes the tank is right by a GIGANTIC window and during the summer the corals are in direct sun all morning.

Let me know if you guys want to know anything else that i didn't cover.

Archived