ReefCleaners.org

picotope with ac50 (cryptic fuge) update day #20 PICS!

new-b-reefer

new-b-reefer

so day 20 of my picotope reef with my AC50 mini cryptic refugium idea.

so far it has proven to be a success (knock on wood) ;)

here are the test results:

salinity= 1.024

ph= 8.0

nitrite= 0

ammonia= 0

nitrate= 0

and with the glass cover i made the evaporation has greatly reduced.

inverts:

1-dwarf hermit crab

1-nassarius snail

1-emerald crab

1-astraea snail

corals:

hammer

galaxy

green mushrooms

purple mushrooms

taro tree

including cryptic fuge, total of about 4-4.5lbs live rock

the tank is looking great, all the critters are doing fantasticly and everyday i see a new mini star :) and the cryptic fuge seems to be working out very well. i am able to see into it and i have already seen pods cruizing around in the back and the water quality is great as the tests show :) here are some pics. enjoy

more pics

more pics :)

:)

mini star at the end... woot!

new-b-reefer
Looks like a good start. Tell us more about your equipment.

equipment is nothing crazy. :)

-factory 9 watt compact fluorescent 50/50 light (only planning on low light corals)

-aqua clear 50 filter filled with live rock rubble (cryptic refugium style) also provides plent of flow

-small 50 watt tetra heater preset to 78 degrees

-a custom glass hood to cut down evaporation. and it works great ;)

-a mini sun deep blue led light (for night viewing)

thats it for equipment really :)

Mr. Microscope

You'll probably hear this from everyone. So, I'll say it first. Take the rubble out of the filter. It will eventually build up nitrites. I'd put filter floss, Chemi-pure elite, and Chaeto in it instead. Also, you'll probably want to add some additional flow. You may experience some algae/cyano build up without it.

new-b-reefer
You'll probably hear this from everyone. So, I'll say it first. Take the rubble out of the filter. It will eventually build up nitrites. I'd put filter floss, Chemi-pure elite, and Chaeto in it instead. Also, you'll probably want to add some additional flow. You may experience some algae/cyano build up without it.

i have hered mixed things. i have filter floss on top to catch thing. i have hered of nitrates but not nitrites as an issue but no one was for sure on it. i didnt want to put chaeto in there cause the tank is right next to my head when i sleep and i dont want to deal with a light keeping me up all night. i have been doing research on cryptic fuges. lightless refugiums. basically a dark place with live rock for small filter feeding sponges to grow and help water quality. so far this mini cryptic fuge has proved to be a success but then again, this whole setup is really new. the water flow is great through it, the rubble is not real small fine pieces, it larger chunks, and the flow around it seems good. the filter provides flow in the tank and every spot in the tank seems to be getting good flow. this mini cryptic fuge is sort of an experiment. i put a little ball of chaeto in the rear corner of the tank in the display to also help eat up nutrients although i think my emerald crab is going to chow on it :)

now if i do end up going the chaeto fuge route with it in the future, would it be ok to leave the fuge light on the same cycle as the display light. i would think so cause natually the chaeto would feed off the same sun that corals would and im pretty sure the sun doesnt have a split cycle ;) i know running oposite light cycles is mainly to prevent ph swings right?

as i said, this mini cryptic fuge is sort of an experiment and so far so good. i have some confidese that it can work, i have been thinking of when i do water changes to unplug the filter, using a turkey baster to blow around and suck out all the nasty stuff from the filter and changing out all that water with new water. that way the tank gets a healthy water change and it allows me to suck out some of the built up stuff, with out it going into the tank. just a thought. i am open to more suggestions though for possible near future options with the ac50 but i dont want a seperate light on all night :)

Archived