Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

OzarksReef ADA 30-C Trimless

OzarksReef

I've decided to take the plunge into an ADA Cube Garden Trimless tank setup! I'm maintaining a 50-gallon display and 40-gallon prop system - so have plenty of nice stuff to stock this little tank with. I really like the quality of the ADA tanks and look forward to getting this going!

I ordered the 30-C from ADGshop.com. They offer great service if you're looking for one of these tanks, and have a great selection of sizes available. The package arrived late last week - they really know how to pack these to avoid damage!

ADACube-001.jpg

ADACube-004.jpg

The silicone work is amazing on these tanks - virtually invisible!

CornerMacro.jpg

ADACube-012.jpg

Lighting for this beauty also arrived last week ... the tank will be lit complements of Cree B)!

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Glad to have everyone along - I'm hoping to make it worth watching ;)! I need to get schg to add me to the ADA Reef Owner's Club ... but it's probably not official until it's full of water. And speaking of schg - here's my new light:

LED1.jpg

This fixture was made by Sammy113 for schg earlier this year. He sold it to AdrianBryce .... who sold it to me (whew)! It's a nice fixture - but I'm still trying to decide how I want to mount it over the tank. Here's some more shots:

LED2.jpg

LED3.jpg

LED4.jpg

The blue & white LED's are adjustable using the pots. I think the optics are 60-degree - though I'm wondering if I will really need them for a 12" x 12" x 12" tank. Hoping some the LED experts can weigh in on this for me.

I'm hoping to get the light mounted this weekend and get it filled up!

I recognize that light! Pictures are really great, I can't wait to see what you'll do with this tank. I'll add your tank to the thread in a few minutes, tagging along for this one.

Hey supernip and schg - thanks for stopping by! Your tanks inspired me to go with the 30-C ... they're amazing setups!

I picked out a stand :)! I wanted the overall impact to emphasize the clean lines of the tank and add some interest. I found this little accent table at target and had the glass sitting around already. I'm going to try to find some type of sculpture or other artwork to sit on the lower level. Anyway, the stand is sturdy and the circular shape leading to the cube tank should be interesting.

Stand.jpg

My next dilemma was how to suspend the light over the tank. I wanted to keep it as clean as possible. I looked at LCD arms, wire suspension ... but couldn't find the right solution. Then I came across this gooseneck stand at Music123. I ordered two 19" pieces. They thread together to make a single stand and are only $3.99 each!

494975.jpg

I really thought I had this thing figured out!

The gooseneck stand is pretty rigid - but not rigid enough for the light :angry: - back to the drawing board.

I stopped by HD and found a 3-foot aluminum rod. The rod slipped down the center of the gooseneck and provided the extra stiffness needed to support the light!

I drilled out a small "foot" for the stand and attached it to the back of the table. Here's a shot from the back:

Stand2.jpg

I'll attach the light (I hope) using a couple cams I found at Ace Hardware. Here's a shot of the finished light support - you can see the cam that will be inside of the light at the top.

Stand3.jpg

I should be able to run the wiring from the light down the gooseneck stand using black zip-ties. More to come...

What a day! This light stand was a real battle - it's amazing how much strength it takes to support 3 pounds at the end of a half-inch rod. I ended up making an acrylic platform mounted to an oak block to support the light. I plan to paint the oak black at some point in the future. Here's some quick shots - water goes in tomorrow B)!

Setup3.jpg

Setup2.jpg

Room shot:

Setup1.jpg

Water is in! I used sand, rock, and water from my established system - instant reef B). I'm not sure if I should expect a cycle or mini-cycle ... or none at all. Here's a few of the first pics - let me know what you think!

I needed a place for the cords - had this little cedar chest sitting around and routed the cords in it...

FTS1.jpg

FTS3.jpg

The aquascape:

Aquascape.jpg

Closeup of the front of the 'scape:

Acans.jpg

I was surprised how quickly the corals opened up under the new lights. I've got the RB's at 100% and the whites at around 55%. It looks like around 20K. One thing of note is that in the shots I took, my camera was still shooting at around 1/200 - makes me think the light is fairly high intensity. I'm anxious to see how things shape up!

Thanks - I really love the way these lights look over the tank! But I'm struggling with capturing it on camera - will have to continue to experiment. The lights look awesome - I can adjust from a crisp 10K to 25K++... I'm lovin' it!

Whoa! Instant reef alright! This tank is so clean, even with the aquaclear filter.

Are you hiding the heater in the HOB filter?

Archived