• 17g 60-L from Green Leaf Aquariums
  • Dimension: 23.6 x 11.8 x 14.2in
  • Glass Thickness: 5mm

p949740914-3.jpg

p646272659-3.jpg

The Equipment

• Vortech MP10
  • Ryujin LED Lighting -- Made By DFason
  • Stealth Heater (eventually will be an in-line)
  • Deltec MCE300

The Concept

I have been reefing for close to 6 years now and I've always longed for a rimless tank. Although I've considered my past tanks each successful in their own way (each running at least 18 months), there are things that you learn with each tank that always make it to the "Next Tank Wish List." This is hopefully the tank that I will finally be able to implement all of those ideas. The overall idea is to build a simplistic yet colorful mixed reef; including some select SPS, top-notch Euphyllia and Acans, and hopefully some Zoanthids and Palys.

Coral

As some of you may know, I have pretty much a tank chock full of SPS in my current 20H. Some of these will make it over to the new tank, while others (mainly Monti Caps) will keep their nose out of this one to minimize coral creep. A lot of this is still up in the air so stay tuned.

SPS

• Icefire Echinata
  • Pink Lemonade
  • GARF Bonsai
  • ORA Cali Tortuosa

Euphyllia

• Green/Purple Frogspawn
  • Todds Torch (eventually)

Others

• Pink Panties Chalice
  • FnF Sunrise Acan

I am about 3/4 of the way through constructing my aquascape so I'm hopeful that this will be up and cycling sometime this weekend, especially since tomorrow is my birthday :) . I won't have the lighting from DFason until near the end of this month so it will have plenty of time to cycle and "do its thing." In the meantime, I'll snag my Aquatinics T5 fixture every once in a while from my 20H for picture purposes.

As with my past threads, feel free to ask questions, post observations, let me know when I'm off in left-field, and general heckle from the peanut gallery (I'm counting on you D). Hopefully you find the information and discussions useful.

Since photography is one of my hobbies and side businesses, there will be plenty o' pictures to come.

-Adam

• Replies 821
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thanks!! I can't wait to get these bad boy going as well. I was simply "amazed" when I opened the box when I first got the tank. Simply stunning!!! I'm still amazed at how the tank stays together with such thin silicone bonds :scarry:

By the way, they were an absolutely great company to deal with. I actually got this tank for a really discounted price after talking to one of the managers. Told him that I was torn between an ADA, Green Lead, and Do!Aqua and he said he'd "sweeten the deal." Couldn't turn him down and since they're located in Jacksonville, FL I had the tank in 2 days.

Pictures of the scape so far coming tomorrow....

-Adam

AdriftQuasar

I've been having the same internal debate for my next setup! I am torn between having price be a factor or just ignoring it and spending the cash for the ADA.

I feel like we are at similar spots in reefing. My 20 high has been up and running successfully for three years, there isn't really a whole lot I can do to it, but I don't want to dismantle it. An upgrade would be ill-advised since I am going to be moving four times a year in and out of a dorm room. I am more and more leaning towards doing a smaller, simpler set up that will be easy to move with a bucket or two. Who knows though, maybe I'll take the plunge into freshwater since I never have successfully before.

Can't wait to see more from you!

I've been having the same internal debate for my next setup! I am torn between having price be a factor or just ignoring it and spending the cash for the ADA.

I feel like we are at similar spots in reefing. My 20 high has been up and running successfully for three years, there isn't really a whole lot I can do to it, but I don't want to dismantle it. An upgrade would be ill-advised since I am going to be moving four times a year in and out of a dorm room. I am more and more leaning towards doing a smaller, simpler set up that will be easy to move with a bucket or two. Who knows though, maybe I'll take the plunge into freshwater since I never have successfully before.

Glad I'm not the only psychotic one that gnaws my fingers over these decisions. Sounds like we're pretty much in the same place with our current 20H....no more room for new coral and pretty much on auto-pilot.

I look back at the last couple of years of reefing and it's funny how the normal progression in the hobby is to go larger and larger with each tank. In my case, I've gone progressively smaller (55-29-20-17). I just find it more of a challenge, yet easier to keep and maintain a smaller tank. Plus, I just find that you can create really cool niche reefs in smaller tanks.

Although the ADA tanks will no doubt have a little better overall design/construction (cleaner seams, lower iron glass), I really don't think you can go wrong with the Green Leaf tanks as another option.

Sweet... I love all these rimless builds going on... B)

All-In-Ones seemed like the rage for a while there and now it's definitely the rimless era.

I just ordered my GLA 12gal long rimless, should be in next week. Im pretty excited! Good luck!

Congrats on the new tank. I have a feeling you're really going to be happy when you receive it. Get ready for about a 10,000 biodegradable packing peanuts. I just tossed the box full in our composter and went on my way :)

Got my attention! I'll be excited to see how it turns out and following it when ever I can.

Glad you'll be following along.

Im glad to hear it bud cant wait to see to it filled up!!!Are you planning to acclimate the sps to the leds?

Thanks for swinging by bud. Once I have the LEDs, I'll definitely be acclimating the SPS that I decide to move over. I'm currently running a 5-bulb T5 fixture over them now, but going to take it slow. I know how painfully slow some take to regain their color after bleaching.

Yeah what she said!

B)

following along :)

Glad you both are following along :)

really excited to watch this one grow. i've been a lurker on your 20h thread and you have some really great photos/ corals and insights for people just learning everything.

Oh my Adam... That is one damn sexy tank right there!!! :o

I have no doubts you will do amazing things with it!!!

Congrats!

B)

really excited to watch this one grow. i've been a lurker on your 20h thread and you have some really great photos/ corals and insights for people just learning everything.

Glad to hear that you gained some knowledge on the 20H thread. I hope that this one is just as informative for you and others.

Oh my Adam... That is one damn sexy tank right there!!! :o

I have no doubts you will do amazing things with it!!!

Congrats!

B)

Thanks David. I'm picking up a stand this afternoon so I'm hopeful this bad boy will FINALLY be up and wet this weekend....that didn't sound right :P. I'm really happy with the way at least 3/4 of my scape looks. I should have a couple of weeks to tweak it before my lights arrive and before the tank has fully cycled.

Hopefully sitting itself on the shelf at Target ;) Although I could have popped for something different, I'm going with the same stand that I'm using for my 20H. Really sturdy, features a removable shelf, and fits in perfectly with our home styling.

I may have a friend of DFason make me a stand in the future....

Can't wait to see this one up and running for sure! If Dave's friend you're referring to is the one that built my stand I'd definitely recommend him.

Archived