Top Shelf Aquatics

Custom 50g DIY Rimless Cube

Justice

Let me start by saying I am still new to the hobby only having my BC14 for six months, but I got the itch like most do to start a larger tank. After tons of thread browsing and researching I decided a shallow rimless cube was what I wanted. Again after much research I decided I would try to build as much of the project as I could to save money. This was a huge decision for me because frankly I suck at building things, lol. It all is/was a little overwhelming and I am still trying my best to research and gain more information on things that still confuse me. Anyway, lets get to some pictures!

Here is a shot of some of the glass for the tank. Dims are 36x24x13 with three sides in Starphire glass.

glass.jpg

I decided to build my own 20g sump even though it went against my whole saving money philosophy as it cost more for the glass than it would have to go buy a 20g tank. Buuuut I wanted to have some experience actually putting it together from scratch so when I did the main tank it wouldn't my first time.

Items used to build the sump. Dow corning 732 clear silicone, Dow corning 1200 primer (for the silicone), duct tape, caulk gun, respirator, and some acetate. Had safety glasses and rubber gloves on the other side of the table.

Stuff.jpg

All done! I let it cure for a week and then did a leak test and no leaks!! I was surprised, lol.

Together.jpg

Now onto the stand! Dun dun dunnnn. I am in no way close to being a carpenter and suck with tools so this was what I was least looking forward to. In the end it turned out decent, but in no way is it perfect. It has many flaws on it, but it will do it's job of supporting the tank.

Progressive pics:

b45vb.jpg

34343t.jpg

2010-04-30182654.jpg

Stand3.jpg

The doors are done, I just have to put them on.

Random stuff for the build.

Stuffz23.jpg

I plan to build the tank this coming weekend! Thanks in advance for anyone who takes the time to check out my build. I will update when I progress with the build.

NaClCrocodile

Very cool. Nice silicone job for someone who "sucks at building things" lol. Mind taking some close up shots of the silicone? The one thing I'd change in the stand is having a lighter inside than the dark brown. Mine is going to be white. It makes a big difference IMO.

clownfish14

sweet tank................ i mean sump and stand lol. its all looking good. what type of leds are thoes and is that an mp10 or 20.

Very cool. Nice silicone job for someone who "sucks at building things" lol. Mind taking some close up shots of the silicone? The one thing I'd change in the stand is having a lighter inside than the dark brown. Mine is going to be white. It makes a big difference IMO.

Thank you, but trust me the silicone job is pretty ugly on the sump. For some reason I didn't think to tape up the glass to keep things looking nice a neat. But like I said the sump was practice for the tank. I'll post some pics soon. Thats a good idea about making the inside of the tank a lighter color, but alas I have put a check mark of completion on the stand, lol. Already put too much time into it, so I'll have to live with it.

sweet tank................ i mean sump and stand lol. its all looking good. what type of leds are thoes and is that an mp10 or 20.

Thank you! The top LED panel is just a cheap light I'm going to use for the sump. The bottom box is the LED light for the tank which is a Maxspect G2 110w. I'm hoping it will be enough light and I think it will be given the height of the tank is only 13" but if it turns out not to be I'll add a PAR 38 most likely.

Update!

Built the tank today. For my first time ever making one it turned out well.

Blacksun.jpg

Put the doors on the stand, so that now is finished.

DDB.jpg

Un-boxed my skimmer!

BMnac6a.jpg

Now I have to figure out this sump and plumbing thing! Getting close.

i think it all looks sweet. Not fond of the stand color, but thats just me. Nice job

Thank you very much!

nice build. great job on the stand

Thanks.

Great DIY ! I think it turned out fantastic and I love the dimensions u chose for the display!!

:happy: Thanks! I'm very happy with the dimensions as well.

Hey J, where you get yer bubble magus?

I got mine from Socal Tropical fish outlet. I ordered a few things from them and I was happy with the service. The BM took almost two weeks to arrive due the fact that their shipment was late and got hung up in customs.

pismo_reefer
I got mine from Socal Tropical fish outlet. I ordered a few things from them and I was happy with the service. The BM took almost two weeks to arrive due the fact that their shipment was late and got hung up in customs.

K... thanks. :happy:

• 2 weeks later...
Great looking DIY good work dude.

Thanks Aj! Your tank inspired my build.

Great build.

Thanks!

Couple new progress pics.

Tank and stand finished and moved into the house (finally!)

ohyea.jpg

Trying to figure out a scape.

DSC_0002-3.jpg

Sump area.

Sumparea.jpg

Right now I'm stuck on figuring out how to plumb the tank. Like I've stated this is my first custom tank coming from a BC14 and the plumbing is confusing me, so hopefully someone will be kind enough to help me out.

I have a glass-holes 700gph overflow box which comes with a 1 1/2" elbow.

I have a 3/4" hole for the return line.

Return pump is a mag 9.5 that will be submerged.

From the sump to the tank is about a 4.5' lift.

Now in the instructions for the Mag 9.5 it states that for optimal performance the plumbing should be 1 1/2" ID, which seems huge to me, and why is the outlet connection 3/4"? So I'm not sure how to plumb it honestly. I'm just confused about if I should just follow the instructions and do 1 1/2" or go 3/4" since thats what the outlet is sized at. Thanks in advance for anyone that takes the time to help.

Everything is looking good. I like it a lot and I admire your courage on building your first sump and tank.

I'm curious how you finished the stand. Is it painted? What brand and color did you use?

Everything is looking good. I like it a lot and I admire your courage on building your first sump and tank.

I'm curious how you finished the stand. Is it painted? What brand and color did you use?

Thank you! The stand is just stained with a Behr wood stain. The color I used is called Russett. The inside is just a high gloss white paint and on both I coated with a polyurethane clear coat.

Looks like a very well thought out DIY. Sometimes you surprise yourself with DIYs when they come out like 10 times better than you thought they would. Unless you have very high expectations, I would be proud!

Looks like a very well thought out DIY. Sometimes you surprise yourself with DIYs when they come out like 10 times better than you thought they would. Unless you have very high expectations, I would be proud!

Thank you! I did indeed surprise myself with the build as I didn't think it would turn out so well at all. I am very happy with it, but since I did build it I am over critical about it and can of course easily spot the mistakes I made. Overall though I'm very happy with it and once I figure out this plumbing stuff I can fill it up.

To go from 3/4 what I would do is actually step it to 1" pvc then get 1.25 I'd hose and slip it over the 1" pipe and then do the opposite for the connection to the tank or get a female reducing barb for 11/4 to 3/4". Screw into a slip screw bulk head and complete. Now if you want to add a backflow(antisiphon device you will have to add a few more fittings but can b e done.

• 3 years later...

nice DIY build, One question, the back part of the tank (black) is that glass or did you use black acrylic? Did you rest the sides of tank on top of the bottom glass and the front and back in fron and behind the bottom glass?

nice DIY build, One question, the back part of the tank (black) is that glass or did you use black acrylic? Did you rest the sides of tank on top of the bottom glass and the front and back in fron and behind the bottom glass?

this thread is from 2010, the OP hasn't been online in 4 months.. good luck getting a reply from the OP on this..

This thread is almost 4 years old ;)

beat me to it

Archived