Innovative Marine Aquariums

Shallow reef-planted tank

Giga

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I really like ADA and elos type tanks so I thought I'd build a combination of the two companies. Both tanks are 20x20x12" and the reef has a overflow. My wife says I'm a man of few words so...... :lol:

The build:

This

dscn2557.jpg

plus this

dscn2523t.jpg

and some of this

dscn2561.jpg

Here you can see the floating plane dual bottom

dscn2552.jpg

dscn2553p.jpg

=

dscn2622.jpg

[/b]

And then:

dscn2571h.jpg

+ cast black acrylic and weldon 4 plus a lot of dremel work = (pssst don't mind the dust and salt!)

dsc00988n.jpg

Both tanks?

not sure yet right now only plan is the salt-as the fresh has a 6500k Japanese spot and I really like it

Wow lol, my TDS reader reads 000 ppm in and out... makes me think I wasted money on the ro/di :/

na always a good investment-there also other things that a RODI get out that doesn't get meter doesn't see-anyway more tomorrow off to bed

some random shot from last night I never posted-as you can see I'm trying to be art'sy in my photography, whether it's working is up to you :P

dsc00968n.jpg

dsc00967k.jpg

dsc00966kn.jpg

...the floating plane dual bottom...

can you tell me more about that?

very cool setup. I'd never think having a reef/fresh water together would look good, but this is great !!

This is an amazing setup. Will defenitly be following along.

Thank you very much

Here's a side shot of the island-everything is very young and there are only frags. Once it grows out nad get more frags I'm hoping it'll look real natural. I was going to do a volcano tribute but decided that my tank isn't the right size and didn't feel like building a new tank just yet :mellow:

dsc00980g.jpg

This is my inspiration

coralgrowth10.jpg

coralgrowth2.jpg

coralgrowth8.jpg

can you tell me more about that?

very cool setup. I'd never think having a reef/fresh water together would look good, but this is great !!

Thank you and this is were a little elos is thrown in- here's what I mean by the floating plane. The blue bars are glass panes and the black between them is silicone. As you can you can see the tank is built on top of the bottom pane. But before that is done another pane of glass is silicone to the bottom just shy of the side panels.

floatingplane.png

Here another shot of the floating plane-the blue tape is covering the bottom pane(used it as a marker).You can also see the awesome paint job my wife did for the stand!!!

dscn2556.jpg

The Reason I did this is because most the pressure is on the bottom seal of a tank so-this way the tank is twice and strong because it is silicone on two planes. Maybe a little overkill but I am a big fan of redundancy

a little fresh water love too. This tank isn't even close to being done as It only has two plant species in it as I'm waiting for my other plants to come in. But it does look nice so far

dscn2632.jpg

dsc00957i.jpg

dsc00972h.jpg

Also forgot to include my two mangroves that I grew from seed pods

dsc00956lm.jpg

Also this guy came as a hitchhicker anybody know what he is? about 1.25 inches big and red with little black dots

dsc01001dn.jpg

Got a couple inverts today and I broke out the camera to take pics:

First I'll show you my rats nest of a sump :huh: I plan of upgrading this to a new cast acrylic sump in the near future.

sumpf.jpg

Return and drain:

inouth.jpg

Here's some coral pics:

My rainbow acans-also my only acans

acanw.jpg

I bought this frag for like a dollar and it was really bleach and brown but since it's been in my tank it has started to color up nicely if not weirdly. I also used way to much epoxy :lol:

colorup.jpg

my gonipora in all it's glory(was a hitchhiker so I fraged it off and put it in a location I liked)

goni.jpg

This is my clove polyps and a soft coral. I also really like this shot

flowerqh.jpg

Archived