Innovative Marine Aquariums

29 Gallon Nanocube vs. Biocube

nanew reefer

AIO Preference  

68 members have voted

1. 1. Which AIO is better suited for DIY retro?

• BC29
    • JBJ NC 28

nanew reefer

I am trying to decide which model to go with for my first AIO saltwater tank. I guess I will post my plans and maybe you guys can help me with the finer points.

No matter the choice, I will be using a MP10 in the display, do the media basket mod with chateo and submersible light, possibly a SA or Tunze skimmer down the road depending on my bio load, and of course DIY LED mod with cree's, courtesy of evil's threads.

The JBJ NC appeals to me in that the two pumps @ 500 gph in the fuge provide redundancy, if one fails the other is still running at least. The con of this being more wattage heating the water. The fuge also seems to provide more room for stuff, say 2 50w heaters instead of 1 100w, again for backup... Does this make sense? How great is the stock wave-maker it comes with?

The BC29 seems more simplistic with its 3 chamber fuge. The through tank filtration is half the NC, due to only 1 250gph pump. This to me still seems fine, as the MP10 will do all the churning I need in the display. Is the media basket larger in the BC29? (Chamber 2) The 2 intake vents letting water into chamber one, then spilling right over into chamber 2, does this seem like a waste of a chamber, it doesn't circulate it all around like the NC does. There seem to be more DIY mods for the BC. The lady at the LFS tried telling me the Oceanic brand was junk, they got bought up 5 years ago and stopped makign quality stuff, needing to send yoru entire tank in to replace parts in it or some mess. sounded liek they had some agenda with them, any word on quality and customer service?

I am almost ready to pull the trigger, the last 5 months have been great, all the threads have taught so much! :lol:

Nemo Niblets

The media basket in the BC29 is bigger. I have both the BC29 and NC28, and filtration ins easier to set up with the biocube. I like the biocube design better, although the difference is minute.

I like the nanocube more because it's a little taller :)

nanew reefer

i would imagine stevie T's basket fills up the entire chamber so so there isn't any spillover in the BC29, correct?

the stock NC media basket I saw at the LFS still would allow overflow to bypass the media basket at the inlet, but theres that othr guy makin em now for the NC i saw. any overflow on it?

i welcome all comments!

There is some overflow but the design was to maximize media storage it is 25% bigger than stock.

I think the 28 nano has more turnover rate with two pumps. Also seems to need minimal customization.

So the nano has 2 pumps compard to 1 in the bio.

Back compartments are open compared to the bio. So that mean easy of access without opening the hood.

You can't go wrong with either one.

nanew reefer

thanks for the comments guys. i pulled the trigger on a BC29 w/stand from Marine Depot:

BC29OA820521_99.jpg

$365 with no extra shipping, no bulkrate fee, insured.

Sweet!

nanew reefer

ahh the votes keep comming, sounds like the BC is the strong favortie.

I would like some NC owners to chime in with why they feel their NC is a better choice.

The lady at the LFS tried telling me the Oceanic brand was junk, they got bought up 5 years ago and stopped makign quality stuff, needing to send yoru entire tank in to replace parts in it or some mess. sounded liek they had some agenda with them, any word on quality and customer service?

FYI, their customer service is outstanding. I had a couple minor cosmetic issues with a BC14 that I bought. After sending them photos and a copy of my receipt, they immediately sent me a new one. I never had to send a thing back... That lady sounds like she had a beef w/ Oceanic...

That's because more people own a biocube. Most 28 nano are hqi which cost more than a biocube. Then came the 28 cf quad but not many have bought one.

So......

The votes are to me at least "who owns which?" Poll.

ahh the votes keep comming, sounds like the BC is the strong favortie.

I would like some NC owners to chime in with why they feel their NC is a better choice.

nanew reefer
FYI, their customer service is outstanding. I had a couple minor cosmetic issues with a BC14 that I bought. After sending them photos and a copy of my receipt, they immediately sent me a new one. I never had to send a thing back... That lady sounds like she had a beef w/ Oceanic...

+1 I've heard it's either full service, or a shot in the dark. I'm inclined to believe the former, since if you truly have quality issues then you will ... demand the attention you need per say. Some people just can't work a CS agent... Glad to hear they respond well! :D

That's because more people own a biocube. Most 28 nano are hqi which cost more than a biocube. Then came the 28 cf quad but not many have bought one.

Theres a current thread running about a heat issue problem with the quad on this forum, its not very appealing. The whole NC design isn't really (imo), with the integrated wavemaker / 2 pumps funky routing back there. People still have to have a k2 of sorts, to achieve the desired flow. Couple this with skimmer or upgraded pumps, and the wattage really starts to climb. This means heat!

The BC seems to accomplish really what I want in a AIO fuge which is to pass water over my media basket, surface skim, and keep hidden all the other stuff - removed from my display.

Does the "M" shaped routing in the NC fuge act as a micro bubble killer? This question just occurred to me.

And, anyone have any micro bubble issues with the BC?

Finally, I think I may replace the stock BC29 pump with a lower wattage (Rios?) pump of the same GPH, and use the stock as a salt water mixer for weekly WCs/backup. Any recommendations? The stock pump run loud?

One purchase at a time. The amount of dollars you can blow is incredible :o

I currently have a BC14 and a NC28. Both are very similar in many ways. Both will have heat issues, weak pumps (NC is better and stronger) and have many options to customize which many people do. The hobby is like tattoos you just can't stop with one.

Now the difference is the back compartment and from the NC to me seems easier to work with, clean and maintain. The flow is better and can add more extras without cutting or shaping which has been done with my BC14(the flow tab between chamber 1-2, restricting the flow in the bottom and top part of chamber 1. The NC has a true top skimmer only. I did eventually removed the top and that was very easy not so on the BC14.

No matter what tank you get you will be adding, changing and making it your own.

+1 I've heard it's either full service, or a shot in the dark. I'm inclined to believe the former, since if you truly have quality issues then you will ... demand the attention you need per say. Some people just can't work a CS agent... Glad to hear they respond well! :D

Finally, I think I may replace the stock BC29 pump with a lower wattage (Rios?) pump of the same GPH, and use the stock as a salt water mixer for weekly WCs/backup. Any recommendations? The stock pump run loud?

As a person who used to work in sales, I've seen it all. As for the help, no real demand was needed. Just a polite email clearly stating my problem. In fact, I don't think most people would have cared about the details, but I think I'm OCD :D

As for the pump, I just purchased a BC29 as well. In the current BC14, I went with a Pico Evolution 1200. It's rated at 300gph at only 8w... Not sure what the stocker uses in terms of power though. When I do my transfer to the 29 this week, I'm going to pull the Pico 1200 over... If it's not enough flow, I may just go with the Rio 6HF

Funky design?

I think the design is great and very simple. The water flowing through my media basket is very strong. These heat issues can be a cause of anything. Climate, closed hood, no chiller, inside circulation pumps when you should get an vortech anyways.

I have an open top, mp10, two pumps in the back and a 150 hqi. I'm running at 76.

Good luck with you BC and the heat.

------

Theres a current thread running about a heat issue problem with the quad on this forum, its not very appealing. The whole NC design isn't really (imo), with the integrated wavemaker / 2 pumps funky routing back there. People still have to have a k2 of sorts, to achieve the desired flow. Couple this with skimmer or upgraded pumps, and the wattage really starts to climb. This means heat!

The BC seems to accomplish really what I want in a AIO fuge which is to pass water over my media basket, surface skim, and keep hidden all the other stuff - removed from my display.

Does the "M" shaped routing in the NC fuge act as a micro bubble killer? This question just occurred to me.

And, anyone have any micro bubble issues with the BC?

One purchase at a time. The amount of dollars you can blow is incredible :o

nanew reefer
I have an open top,

This starts to deviate from the AIO ideal of these tanks, but its certainly not to say this isn't a viable route. For me, I wish to stick to the pure AIO look.

So, a few thoughts occurred to me about this "funky routing".... I want to pinpoint its design and intent. Lets surmise its feasibility:

jbj-28g-led-back.jpg

To me, this routing serves as a P trap similar to a toilet, maintaining a minimum water level around the pump.

This also may kill some bubbles, i remember reading a DIY where acrylic divider panels routed the water through two closely spaced baffles to eliminate bubble swirl. Same idea?

I am not bashing one unit over the other, I think both have qualities that make them excel. I wish we could combines both's features into one! B)

I find the design also allows to add skimmer, ato, media, chiller and anything else without having to modify the top or chamber design. Giving the AIO look.

nanew reefer
As for the pump, I just purchased a BC29 as well. In the current BC14, I went with a Pico Evolution 1200. It's rated at 300gph at only 8w... Not sure what the stocker uses in terms of power though.

I tried finding out the stock bc29 pump wattage in vain, but i think its 16w @ 250gph (who knows if that's an actual output rating) I believe the NC is similar but x2

How easy is the dissassembly/quality on your Pico Evolution? Its less than 20 bucks! The other best choice option I see thus far is a Maxijet 900 rated at 10w for 250gph. Everyone else is back up to the same wattage for that flow output.

I find the design also allows to add skimmer, ato, media, chiller and anything else without having to modify the top or chamber design. Giving the AIO look.

sure enough, for those that wanna go hog wild and buy it all to experiment, the NC28 would be your choice. plenty of room for all the toys! :P

I tried finding out the stock bc29 pump wattage in vain, but i think its 16w @ 250gph (who knows if that's an actual output rating) I believe the NC is similar but x2

How easy is the dissassembly/quality on your Pico Evolution? Its less than 20 bucks! The other best choice option I see thus far is a Maxijet 900 rated at 10w for 250gph. Everyone else is back up to the same wattage for that flow output.

Build quality is good. It's pretty simple to disassemble... I've attached the diagram of it that came with the unit.

PicoEvolution.jpg

A = Pump Body

B = Rotor assembly

C = Lid

D = Control knob

E = Suction cups

Fits in my BC14 no problem so I don't see any problems with it fitting the BC29...

I just switched to these pumps and they seem to work great and really quiet and small. I love em!! :happydance::D

thanks for the comments guys. i pulled the trigger on a BC29 w/stand from Marine Depot:

BC29OA820521_99.jpg

$365 with no extra shipping, no bulkrate fee, insured.

Sweet!

I bought the same one from Marine Depot, it was delivered this past Wednesday, only one problem, opened it up and the glass in the back of the tank was cracked. Marine Depot was great, another one's on the way, but I won't get it until this Wednesday. Bummer

nanew reefer
I bought the same one from Marine Depot, it was delivered this past Wednesday, only one problem, opened it up and the glass in the back of the tank was cracked. Marine Depot was great, another one's on the way, but I won't get it until this Wednesday. Bummer

I recieved mine in this past Friday. The pump was cracked to pieces, the light splash guard mount was broken, the AIO hood was broke up on the inside (where the wires route out to the grommet), and the hood would not sit flush with the tank. When I opened up the box (which said: this side up) the tank was packaged upside down.

I called Marine Depot this morning and opened up a ticket, I will leak check tonight and see what I decide to replace. The CS rep said he can replace it, or try and aquire the parts from Oceanic. I will keep this thread updated, maybe take some pics of the BC29.

:angry:

nanew reefer

so I spoke again with Daniel, a CS rep from MarineDepot. Nice guy. He is trying to see if he can send me a replacement hood / pump from their stock, else he would have to arrange it through Oceanic which would take many many weeks. Lets hope!

I filled up the tank last night and leak tested it, so far all seems well.

Edit:

just spoke with Daniel, he called back and said they recieved another BC29 broken so they will send out my replacement pump / hood today! Great customer service by MD, will keep me buying more from them. B)

uxdesigner
Build quality is good. It's pretty simple to disassemble... I've attached the diagram of it that came with the unit.

A = Pump Body

B = Rotor assembly

C = Lid

D = Control knob

E = Suction cups

Fits in my BC14 no problem so I don't see any problems with it fitting the BC29...

I've also switched to the new Pico Evolution and it works great! Lower wattage = less heat and it powers through the Hydor Flo with ease. I still have the 90 degree inlet and the flow is remarkably stronger than stock. Once I switch to a straight pipe I can see it being perfect.

I have a biocube 14

http://www.nano-reef.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=233690

I've also switched to the new Pico Evolution and it works great! Lower wattage = less heat and it powers through the Hydor Flo with ease. I still have the 90 degree inlet and the flow is remarkably stronger than stock. Once I switch to a straight pipe I can see it being perfect.

I have a biocube 14

http://www.nano-reef.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=233690

Yup, I had it in the BC14, and I actually turned it down one notch... Just did my transfer the other day to the BC29... Removed the elbow and opened the inlet all the way up... Seems to be working great on flow wise... The thing is tiny compared to the stock BC29 pump...

nanew reefer

2010-05-01161608.jpg

yeah i linked it, turbofreaks build -_-

but LOOK!!!! This BC29 came with a STOCK fish guard!!! With the threads I'm reading you gotta try and get as much as you can for your hard earned money because they try and get you with all the fault stock stuff.

I'll be honest, I inspected the plastic framing on the BC, and you can see where the plastic pieces were snapped off the mold. Kind of like when your were a kid putting together a model airplane, you can still see the indentures where they detach. Not so aesthetically pleasing, but I noticed. I can touch it up if I find some smokey black paint perhaps. The tank itself was in ok shape, and the black silicon was done pretty well both in the filter area and display.

I had to super glue a tab back together that holds the lids snapped in place, but such is life with plastic parts. Made in China folks! ;) To those having issues; I just wouldn't stop until I was satisfied.

Time to research the Pico Evoution!

but LOOK!!!! This BC29 came with a STOCK fish guard!!! With the threads I'm reading you gotta try and get as much as you can for your hard earned money because they try and get you with all the fault stock stuff.

Yeah, the new versions has the "built in" fish guard as well as the black "paint" removed behind chamber 2 so you can use an external light for a fuge...

Archived