inTank Media Baskets

My 24g NC LED retro - Finished

DC5

I have 12 Cree white XP-G's and the large AIO heatsink so far. The heatsink I ordered from Nanocustoms, and the quality is amazing...this thing fits like a glove in my gutted hood.

I figured I'd start a thread, but the activity will be slow since I still need to figure out which drivers I am going to buy, what power supply, buckpucks, etc. I also have 14 blues ordered in Dave's latest group buy, so once those arrive I should be ready to burn my house down while building this.

Thanks so far from Evil and Nick from Nanocustoms for letting me bother them with questions, and to everyone else here who I will continually bother as this goes. :P

fk1bie.jpg

for a 12 and 12 meanwells would be convenient

Meanwell ELN-60-48D x 2 is all I keep seeing. Is that the one you refer to?

that would be the easier one to dim, plus it will be easily upgradable to a controller.

Cool, then I will get 2 of those, thank you.

I've been nibbling away part by part...keeps me well under wife radar.

Dc. if you are gonna do the meanwells, DO IT NOW. I am purposely running low on them to get through summer time to make room for new products in the budget.

Stated simply. You wont be able to get one from us in DIY form until July or so.

We have to hold onto the good stuff for our high end LED kits, and with meanwell being so understocked on these things, its hard to get them anywhere.

Cheers

Chris

Dc. if you are gonna do the meanwells, DO IT NOW. I am purposely running low on them to get through summer time to make room for new products in the budget.

Stated simply. You wont be able to get one from us in DIY form until July or so.

We have to hold onto the good stuff for our high end LED kits, and with meanwell being so understocked on these things, its hard to get them anywhere.

Cheers

Chris

Thanks Chris, I just ordered 2 of them. The last thing I need is to be ready to go and then have to start scouring around looking for these. I need them anyway, so why not.

• 1 month later...

I got the rest of my LED's from Dave Fason today, and started gutting the rest of the hood I bought. I bought 2 of the SFE-9FD adapters a bit ago as well, but can't find my friggin volt meter to test what they are really putting out. I knew these LED's were bright, but I wasn't aware I needed a welding mask on to test them individually...I can still see spots from the first shot in the eyes that I took.

I need to figure out the rest of the parts I need, but so far I have 14 blue LEDs, 12 white, 2 9v PS, 2 Meanwell 60d's and the nanocustoms large AIO heatsink. I will be ordering thermal pads soon as well.

ip126f.jpg

14awfg2.jpg

I have to be honest...I have confused myself beyond belief now.

What is the best way to power the two Meanwell's? I was under the impression that I needed two 9v power supplies, one for each Meanwell, which would have 13 LEDS hooked to each, in order to power and dim (with a pot in line).

I've dug through every build thread here, and either this is so simple that I am missing the point, or it is just a given that I am overlooking.

So, basically, how do I supply power to the Meanwells if I want to dim and power 13 LED's on each one?

you need two power souces for each meanwell, the 9v to dim and 110vac to power it, refer to the datasheet or meanwell thread as for what colors go to what.

you need two power souces for each meanwell, the 9v to dim and 110vac to power it, refer to the datasheet or meanwell thread as for what colors go to what.

Thank you.

Does anyone know if the Bergquist custom thermal pads are priced each at $0.49 at Nanotuners, or do you get a quantity for that price?

Ok, thanks.

So, I need 2 power cords, one for each Meanwell, 2 pots for the 2 9V power supplies for the dimming, wire for the LED strings, project boxes, and thermal pads.

I am itching to finish this tomorrow, so I wonder if any local store would sell thermal pads or similar so I didn't have to wait on an order?

• 3 weeks later...

Ok, just ordered:

DC Barrel Power Jack/Connector x 2 - for warts

Hook-up Stranded Wire - Black

Hook-up Stranded Wire - Red

Rotary Potentiometer - Linear x 2

Potentiometer Knob x 2

28 thermal pads on order from nanotuners

I have my two 9v wall warts, and power cords sitting, and waiting for the rest to come in.

Here is my layout. I am not exactly sure how I am going to get the thermal pads on there perfect, but I have a few ideas. I also need to figure out which pins are which on the M connector for the 9v wall warts.

2qa7jfo.jpg

33w13t4.jpg

Cheers

Chris

I hope that July timeframe doesn't apply to my DIY I just bought for my BC8 a couple days ago! lol

How in the hell do you line up these thermal pads and stick these on in a straight line? I am somewhat OCD when it comes to symmetry so this is going to be fun.

Here is a better layout image as well

2nav01z.jpg

So, I used double-sided tape on the drawing to mount the pads by hand. Once they were stuck down, I peeled the exposed layer of the pad, flipped over the drawing and used a plastic scraper to press the sticky side on the heatsink. Two of them wrinkled a little, but I think they will be ok. This isn't perfect, but good enough.

14uuema.jpg

2qsp3xu.jpg

281r2fk.jpg

2zz2hvs.jpg

Ok, just ordered:

DC Barrel Power Jack/Connector x 2 - for warts

Hook-up Stranded Wire - Black

Hook-up Stranded Wire - Red

Rotary Potentiometer - Linear x 2

Potentiometer Knob x 2

28 thermal pads on order from nanotuners

I have my two 9v wall warts, and power cords sitting, and waiting for the rest to come in.

where did you get these parts at?

If you try what I did, make sure the "paper" side of the pad isn't facing up...that is how I wrinkled the two I did, because they don't peel well from that side.

Started placing the LED's and running some wire. Soldering is coming back to me, and I hope the series wiring is correct. I skipped the first + on the first LED so one Meanwell can attach there, and I've been running - to +, - to + down the first line of 13 blues.

I still need to figure out how to mount mt DC jacks to a board and then drop it in an enclosure. All of the circuit boards I find don't seem to accommodate the larger pins of the DC jacks.

2nkjf9v.jpg

s0zeci.jpg

30vc1g6.jpg

r7irzm.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Archived