Cultivated Reef

Lasongo's 40B

lasongo

Finally got around to starting this thread. I didn't want to start it earlier because honestly, lets face it, who really wants to hear me post stuff like "screwed doors onto hinges" or "added foam cover." So I skipped ahead a bit and already did most of the dirty work (been working on this thing for about 3-4 weeks now).

I set up a 25 gallon cube in January and immediately after getting it cycled and everything decided I was bored with it and needed something bigger and a little better layout, so hence the 40 Breeder.

The tank itself was purchased from a local PetsMart, but everything else was purchased online, coincidentally from Nano-Reef sponsors.

So here are some details and specs:

- Circulation will be handled by two Vortech MP40Ws. Decided not to spend extra on the ES because everyone I talked to said they were cool, but honestly not worth the extra cost (guess I could always upgrade later)

- Lighting is handled by a TEK 6 x 39 W fixture purchased from TB Aquatics. I'm using the following bulb combo: 3 x ATI Blue Plus, 1 x GE 6500, 1 x UVL 72/25 and 1 x 12K Aquablue

- Overflow is the 1500 gph dual overflow kit from Glass-Holes.com with a Quiet One 2200 pump on the return. I went with the larger flow so I can have the option of pretty much hosting anything I want. The two overflow pipes both have ball valves on them to regulate flow and the return also has a valve. Also, I built a spraybar for the return to more surface agitation (similar to the Eheim ones).

- Sump is a custom 29x11x15, approximately 18-19 gallons acrylic from Advance Aquatics. John makes some really nice stuff, but give him about 3-4 weeks lead time.

- Skimmer is a Precision Marine Redline 125. Yes, it is overkill, but I don't care.

- Stand is custom, I built it in my garage.

- Unfortunately the tank is in my gameroom/bar/theater-room on the third floor...also the hottest floor in the house...near several large windows...in southern Texas, so it can get hot (My cube was getting in the upper 80s). I bought a 1/15hp chiller from member JKUNZ. The chiller is now keeping my cube at 78 but will be moved to the 40B later. If you've ever dealt with JKUNZ you'll know Jon is a great guy, thanks again for the chiller.

That's really all the exciting stuff. Yesterday, April 10, I added sand and liverock to the 40B and seeded it with some stuff from my cube. Also bought a beautifully-shaped rock from my LFS, brought it home and found a large aptasia on it, so its sitting in my garage dying right now. Weird though, a goby also fell out from the liverock. I grabbed the little guy and ran up two flights of stairs faster than I've ever done and threw him into the cube. He survived but is now probably emotionally-scarred for life.

As for livestock, I already have two Perculas, the unknown goby, several zoas and 'shrooms, a monticap, the usual CUC and a Tropical Abalone in my cube. In the new tank I'm looking at throwing a mix of corals including some SPS. I'm also going to do the open water, dual island rock-scape in the 40B.

and now PICS...

22.jpg

This is a classic shot of my car with the wood for the stand. I got some great looks from people both at the store and driving home on the freeway. Luckily I only live about 5-10 minutes from Home Depot.

21.jpg

Was lucky it held the weight at this point. The stand is built with 4x4 supports resting on 2x4s on both the top and bottom. Its all held together with 2" screws and wood glue and then "L"-brackets for added support.

19.jpg

Now painted and just waiting for the doors to be put on. Notice there isn't a support 4x4 in the front. I put one in later, but it was bolted in place so it can be removed in case I need to replace the sump or anything.

16.jpg

Now completed. The bottom of the tank rests approximately 42" off the ground. I built it so high because like I said, the tank will be in an entertainment area, its actually directly across from my bar.

12.jpg

Finally lugged the beast and everything up to the 3rd floor.

5.jpg

Overflows with the ball-valves.

4.jpg

Overflow box from Glass-Holes.com. I painted the box a navy blue and the back of the tank and well, everything that will go in the tank. Krylon Fusion of course.

23.jpg

My spraybar for the return. It's now on and does a great job stirring up the surface.

2.jpg

Everything under the tank. I haven't installed the filter-sock yet, because there isn't really any need for it yet. Also notice the eight-toggle switch panel just above the shelf. That's just to make it easy to turn stuff on and off. The lights though will directly be plugged into a lightswitch with timers.

10.jpg

Dual outflows into the sump. That is 1.5 inch PVC. It's not really that loud, but I might mess with it later.

1.jpg

Now with some liverock and sand in it.

3.jpg

Tank now with sand in it. I already have on great piece of live rock for it, but again, there is a huge aptasia on it, so I'm letting it dry/die in the garage :angry:

and that's about it for the time being. Now just have to test my patience and wait. Oh yeah, the new tank sits almost right next to the old one, so my two clowns and their new goby friend can looks at their new home as it is prepared.

Great thread Julian! Looking good! Two MP40w pumps will certainly keep that tank bouncin'... :)

Good job on the plumbing. I'll probably ask for your help when I get that far. :P

Great job putting that together! Looks like you put a lot of thought into this before hand.

Looking good! I remember seeing your stand in another thread but just found a link here.

Keep us up to date!

Thanks for the kind words guys. I have to admit this tank was created (and still being worked on) based on a compilation of other people's tanks I've seen and a few original ideas from my own alcohol-infused brain.

So a few more updates for today. I've still got that really cool 20lbs piece of live rock sitting in the garage drying out. Again its because I found a huge aptasia on it before I put it in the tank, so rather than deal with it when its in the tank (and possibly reproducing), I figured I'd just kill it now.

The refugium is almost completed. The only thing really missing are the mangroves, but those are currently filtering my small cube and it would probably be near suicide to remove them from there, so I'll just move them when everything else comes over...or maybe I'll just move one or two mangroves (I have six) in about a week or two...we'll see.

mp40.jpg

Got my MP40 W on Monday. Bought it from NanoReef member "crazydante23". If you've ever dealt with Tony, he is great, the thing was in new condition with all original boxes, papers, wrapping, etc... Oh yeah, the MP40 is also a beast, I turned it up to full blast for fun and it created a sand tornado in the tank (seriously). I tried to snap a picture but it had dissapated by then. When its all done, there will be two MP40 Ws on each side of the tank synchronized...and yes, severely dialed down. The other MP40 is currently in the smaller cube so it can't be moved yet.

fugewithchaeto.jpg

Refugium is set up and almost complete. I had previously removed some chaeto from my cube and put it into a 2.5 gallon bucket to keep it alive. Now moved it into the sump. Also, there is still room for more liverock in the sump, but its still in my smaller cube. When I transfer stuff over I'll put the smaller pieces in the 'fuge.

rocksetup.jpg

Picked up about 20 lbs of liverock at the LFS near my office on the way home. I set it up specifically separated as it is because I'm going to put a little more on top of it and this way there is sort of a cave with three separate entrances with this layout. Of course its all subject to change once I add the rest of the rock later.

fulltank20lbsrock.jpg

Current full tank shot. Still having a bit of an issue with two of the bulbs on the TEK fixture firing properly. Going to mess with it in a bit. No doubt will probably get shocked, but thats part of the fun of DIY...that and small cuts on your fingers when messing in saltwater.

bluelabel.jpg

Couldn't resist. After the LFS store I stopped by the LLS (local liquor store) and picked up a bottle. Figured after 4-5 weeks of working on this thing and finally nearing the finish line I deserved something special.

Nice setup! Where in houston do you live? I live in the Woodlands-College Park area

Cool, I'm a bit of a hike from the Woodlands. I'm downtown, inside the loop, only a couple of blocks from Memorial Park. One of my best friends lives up in your area. I'm assuming you are a member of MARSH? You going to the frag swap on the 25th?

Looking good. Very nice start.

Thanks Steely185, checked out your breeder and definately thumbs up on that one.

So after a little bit of consideration I was thinking, would it be better to have the two Vortechs at opposite ends of the tank facing each other (as currently planned) or to mount them facing forward from the back of the tank?

I figured the spray bar should mix it up a little bit, but just curious on people's thoughts/ideas.

I actually really like that rockwork the way you have it.

Thanks Vic! I must say your tank is I-N-C-R-E-D-I-B-L-E, I really really like it.

I'm going to try to sort of go with the dual island and maybe a sort of taper between the two, minimalistic look. Excess liverock will just be tossed in the 'fuge.

Hopefully I should have a better update with a near completed rockscape this weekend. Again, I've still got about 20lbs in my smaller cube that I can't move yet.

Cool, I'm a bit of a hike from the Woodlands. I'm downtown, inside the loop, only a couple of blocks from Memorial Park. One of my best friends lives up in your area. I'm assuming you are a member of MARSH? You going to the frag swap on the 25th?

:blush:

Woodlands here, Sterling Ridge. Marsh member as well, but will be on South Padre Island on the 25th. Don't really have anywhere for more frags right now anyway... I do have Kenya Trees to give away if you want some, mbarton2010. :)

So after a little bit of consideration I was thinking, would it be better to have the two Vortechs at opposite ends of the tank facing each other (as currently planned) or to mount them facing forward from the back of the tank?

In their manuals, I think Vortech recommends having them on the opposite ends. I had the same idea you did ... would be nice to hide the external housings behind the tank.

O wow! I love your taste in reefing and liquor! Amazing setup! Your plumbing gives me some ideas and I love the overall look of the tank.

You will love that TEK fixture. I have a 24x4 TEK and I love it. It puts out a ton of light without the heat of a MH.

Totally following this.

In their manuals, I think Vortech recommends having them on the opposite ends. I had the same idea you did ... would be nice to hide the external housings behind the tank.

What, you read the manual?!?!?! Real men don't read/need manuals.

That is an amazing setup!!! Makes me want a 40b even worse now!!

Cheers, thanks Hooligan! I have to admit unless you are going to get something 90 gallons+ then I personally think the 40 Breeder is the perfect size. Kgk has a really nice tank he ordered from Glass-cages.com, but its a 90+ gallon, dimensions are like 36x24x12 or something. Its awesome, but a little too big for my taste.

O wow! I love your taste in reefing and liquor! Amazing setup! Your plumbing gives me some ideas and I love the overall look of the tank.

You will love that TEK fixture. I have a 24x4 TEK and I love it. It puts out a ton of light without the heat of a MH.

Totally following this.

Yeah, based on recommendations from everyone thats what they said. I currently have a MH over my smaller cube and it puts out crazy heat.

Thanks for the compliment on the plumbing, basically I just tried to make it as simple and straightforward as possible. Tell you the truth PVC is really easy to work with if you use that joint/primer stuff, but do it outside (not even in an open garage). I did it in my garage with the door open and still managed to have a conversation with Jerry Garcia and a talking turtle named "Moe," while I was working. Its nasty stuff.

Going to add some more liverock to the tank tomorrow, so hopefully I'll have more pics tomorrow. Only excitement for today was I swung by Home Depot and picked up some light timers, nothing too exciting.

LogansRunRx

looking great!

following along... looking forward to watching the progression.

and, WOOT, for Houston reefing!

cheers....

Small update for today. Over the weekend I added that piece of liverock I had in the garage. Left it in there and no sign of the aptasia (fingers crossed). Also today I ran the first water test to check for ammonia, etc... and moved two of the six mangroves I had in my smaller tank over to the 40 Breeder's sump. Makes me a little nervous to remove them from an already established tank, but I'm hoping it won't be that big an issue. If it is I've got plenty of water for a water change.

april19fts.jpg

FTS April 19, 2010. Still have about 20 lbs of liverock in my other tank that I'm going to move over to this one. Some of it will wind up in the sump though because I'm still trying to leave plenty of swimming room. Again this rockscape could (and probably will) change once it comes time to transfer stuff over.

1sttest.jpg

First water quality test. I'm guesstimating its about .25 ppm Ammonia, 0.0 nitrites and 10.0ppm nitrates. Disclaimer: I'm currently on beer number three right now though.

sumpwithmangroves.jpg

Sump now with two mangroves. Still four more to slowly transfer over.

Small update for today. At this point the tank has been running with sand, water and liverock for about 14-15 days.

Saturday we had a local frag swap and I picked up a few things. Got some Miami Hurricane Zoas, some DragonEye Zoas and a Pink Birdsnest. They are in my smaller cube right now, but wish the 40B was ready for them. No pics of the new additions yet because they are still getting used to the new tank so didn't fully open...yet.

Plus side, we've got some algae and diatom growth in the breeder. Nothing major, but some additions, see the pics below. I'll probably move some more liverock from the cube into the breeder this week and maybe a mangrove or two. But I'm kind of hesitant to do too much considering there are also new additions to the cube...we'll see.

and now pics...

algaeoverflow.jpg

Algae beginning to grow on the overflow

algaespray.jpg

Also growing a bit on the spray bar. Nothing significant yet on the sand, but I suspect that has something to do with the mp40 churning stuff over.

week2a.jpg

Latest water test results. I'm guesstimating about .15-.2 Ammonia, 0.0 Nitrite and about 0.0 Nitrate.

Great looking start to what will be a very nice reef- 40breeders are my favorite canvas.

Plus- JW Blue- very nice AND it looks like your ironing board has a cup holder and that's just cool!

We've got a clean-up crew! (or at least a small one).

I picked up 10 assorted hermits, 10 astrea snails, 4 cerith snails, 2 nassarius snails and a bunch of empty shells and tossed them into the display tank.

Also got about 12 pounds of coraline algae encrusted liverock pieces and threw that into the sump along with some feather caulerpa and other assorted macros. In addition I got lucky and found two small serpent stars on the liverock, so they went into the sump as well. I figure those serpents will be perfect for the sump, there they can't mess with the stuff in my display and they can root around eating detritus in the sump.

All that cost...$40.

Got it from a local who is taking a break from the hobby. No pics yet because the lights are off in the tank. The sump is complete now though, no more real room for stuff.

Also got the lights all setup up with the timers so now they are cycling properly and there is a pretty big algae and diatom bloom on the glass and everything else.

On an unrelated note, stopped by the LFS by my office on the way home and they had a beautiful juvenile Imperator Angel for $40! Wish I had something to put that thing in, Imperators are pretty much my favorite fish, saw some gigantic beautiful adults last year while diving the Belizean Barrier Reef.

• 2 weeks later...

Actually yes, after 5 weeks of cycling and running biweekly tests I decided it was time to transfer stuff over. Ammonia, nitrite and nitrate all came up 0.0 on Friday, so Saturday I moved everything over from the cube to the breeder.

All my zoas, sps and other assorted corals have opened up and are looking good, inverts and stuff are all going crazy too. Also on Saturday I picked up a second abalone so now there are two in there (for some reason I just think those things are cool).

Rockscape still looks like *&^%, but admittedly I didn't work on it and just tried to throw everything in there ASAP without killing anything. I'll work on it tonight and hopefully have some pics.

So now in the sump there are 12 mangroves, about 20lbs of liverock, chaeto and two other types of macro. Running chemipure and carbon in two separate bags. Skimmer is operational and is beginning to pull stuff. Plus the chiller also made the transition and is running well.

I'll post some pics later (still at the office now).

oh yeah, and should be getting some more cool stuff from John at ReefCleaners tomorrow.

Archived