Pod Your Reef

Hypes Shallow ADA Lagoon

Rehype

So i broke down my cadlight not too long ago and decided it was time to get back to the basics. I wanted to do a minimalist setup and what better tank to go with than an ADA. I decided on the 60-F since its super shallow and gives the appearance that its longer than it really is. I tried to make this setup as simple as possible. So the only equipment is a Canister filter,MP10 and a small heater. This setup is going to be a mixed reef but with sps heavily favored. I decided to go with a 6 Bulb ATI Sunpower on this setup and im getting rid of my Aquaillumination LEDs. The reason for this is IMO LED's are fantastic but im just not seeing the growth or colors that im used to seeing in other setups(T5,MH) I dont want to give the impression that your corals wont survive under LED's but ive yet to see them really thrive. I honestly feel LEDs arent quite where they need to be in order to replace other types of lighting. I think for right now they work best in supplementation to other types of lighting. Im not sure if the LED's lack spectrum or UV but they're definitely missing something. But im sure sometime soon someone will figure it out the recipe for a perfect setup and then maybe ill give it another shot but until then back to T5's i go..

As far as livestock i have a beautiful wartskin angler and of course my dwarf golden moray. I plan to just leave these two in there to keep up with the theme.I put a few really bad looking corals in there. I want to see how long it takes for them to color back up once i put up the T5's. As of right now the Aquaillumination LEDs are in place but only until the T5 fixture gets delivered this week

Heres pics of the tank(this is what it looks like in person)

4487604628_3444ed02ed.jpg

This shot is what it looks like with the white balance fixed

4486953337_8ffd7af7e0.jpg

Stay tuned more pics to come

Now under T5"s

4555457837_e8b98df36a.jpg

Now with Sunlight

4707071927_6f131f1b6b.jpg

August FTS

4828530802_42772fb121.jpg

September FTS

4933619662_5a54c9cf32.jpg

• Replies 980
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I love these shallow tanks, great start. :)

I can't believe you're doing a 6 bulb T5 fixture on an 8.5g tank, why did you pass up the 4 bulb tek?

Also what kind of canister filter are you running?

NICE TANK!!

you dont worry bout the moray excaping with the open top?

Thanks dizzle. Kind of but Ive been running my tank open top since ive got the eel so i figured why start now. Although im certainly not recommending it im just basing my decision on my eels behavior. However it could always come back and bite me in the rear...

I love these shallow tanks, great start. :)

I can't believe you're doing a 6 bulb T5 fixture on an 8.5g tank, why did you pass up the 4 bulb tek?

Also what kind of canister filter are you running?

LOL i know its a bit of overkill but i love to be able to mix and match bulbs and 4 bulbs isnt enough for me.Since im hanging the light i can always adjust the height to compensate. Im using an Eheim 2213 Canister filer. Thanks Fiction

My water has actually never been clearer. Ill tell you the recipe im using... The bottom is Zeovit Carbon(By far the best carbon on the planet!) followed by zeorocks,then by some substrate that came with the filter. My water is ridiculously clear ill shoot some video of it to show you..

Your water looks crystal clear in the vid. Although you seem to have a lot of micro bubbles shooting out from your filter. Is there anything you can do to reduce them?

Your water looks crystal clear in the vid. Although you seem to have a lot of micro bubbles shooting out from your filter. Is there anything you can do to reduce them?

Thanks alot everyone for the nice comments.

Fiction:sure can all i have to do is push the outlet below the waters surface. I only kept it that way because it aids in oxygenating the water. I also thought it looks kinda cool..

He's baaaack!

:happy:

You know i cant stay away too long buddy ;):D

Is there a site that sells affordable Lily Pipes? ADA is charging like $80 for each.

I bought the pair from GLA its alot cheaper.

I think this tank is going to be epic!!! :o

Nice work bro!

B)

Thanks David :)

Looks Excellent so far! and yay another Golden Dwarf Moray! Yeah the T5 seem super overkill, i bleached so many things with just 4 T5 in my 20 long lol.

Looks amazing so far. Any way you could get closeups of your two islands? Thanks!

Thanks alot.Sure ill take some pics tomorrow

Looks Excellent so far! and yay another Golden Dwarf Moray! Yeah the T5 seem super overkill, i bleached so many things with just 4 T5 in my 20 long lol.

Thank you. Its actually the same one from previous cadlight setup. Hes almost a year old. Yeah i was kind of worried about the light but if i hang them high enough it shouldnt be a problem. Worst case scenario ill just shorten my lighting period.

So I can't say that I know anything about the model numbers on the ADA tanks so it really suprised me when I figure out that this is only 8.5 gallons. The tank looks much bigger than that. Also of course it just looks amazing.

Archived