inTank Media Baskets

20L Sump

bonese

Hey everyone, sorry to be cluttering up the boards, but I do have a busy day ahead of me in terms of "Fish". I will be going up to Home Depot today and prior I have to go out with the wife. Can I throw my materials list out there and see if I'm ready to go and build.

My plan is to have the sump set up like this:

Compartment 1 - Will house the skimmer

Seperated by 3? Baffles one low one in the middle high and one low on the other side

Copmpartment 2 - Fuge

Seperated by 3? Baffles again

Compartment 3 - Return / ATO

The skimmer will be the reef octopus 150, and for the return pump it will be an eheim 1260.

My list for HD is as follows:

Glass Panes - Window Section

Glass cutting kit

GE 1 Silicone - Not the Kitchen and other one but the Windows and Doors

Rubbermaid Brute (RODI Top off Reservoir)

Gaffer Tape

Thanks for all the suggestions and help I'm very excited to begin this project and get underway

Hey everyone, sorry to be cluttering up the boards, but I do have a busy day ahead of me in terms of "Fish". I will be going up to Home Depot today and prior I have to go out with the wife. Can I throw my materials list out there and see if I'm ready to go and build.

My plan is to have the sump set up like this:

Compartment 1 - Will house the skimmer

Seperated by 3? Baffles one low one in the middle high and one low on the other side

Copmpartment 2 - Fuge

Seperated by 3? Baffles again

Compartment 3 - Return / ATO

The skimmer will be the reef octopus 150, and for the return pump it will be an eheim 1260.

My list for HD is as follows:

Glass Panes - Window Section

Glass cutting kit

GE 1 Silicone - Not the Kitchen and other one but the Windows and Doors

Rubbermaid Brute (RODI Top off Reservoir)

Gaffer Tape

Thanks for all the suggestions and help I'm very excited to begin this project and get underway

as for the baffels from skimmer to fuge, try to have the last baffel end or at least an opening just above the sand bed. this will help creat propper flow and prevent detrirus from biulding up. let me see if i can find a pic to link. also the more space between the 1st & 2nd baffel the slower the flow less bubble's carried into the next chamber.

ok here is that linky.

http://www.aquabuys.com/page/aqb/CTGY/z2i

So what I have planned is three 9in baffles, the middle set higher by an inch than the outside two. Your saying to put a smaller baffle, maybe 3"? at the end of that grouping before the fuge?

depeneds on how deep you want the sand bed. aim for a "break" in the 3rd baffel about an inch taller than the the sand.

Well I'd say a 5" Sand bed in a fuge would be alright. What do you think? So I would only need 3 baffles not a fourth thats 6 inches, Just make the Third baffle 6 inches?

my dsb is or atleast when started was 6-7. can be a shallow baffel to an inch above the sand or a slit/break in the baffel. having a slit/holes/break derects the flow better but both ways will work. main thing is that the water line of the first chamber is set by the first baffel, the fuge's water line is set by the first baffel of the second set of baffel's. and that the flow through the fuge keeps detrius from sinking/setteling. the skimmer will have a best depth so either the baffel has to short or the skimmer placed on a stand of some sort.

So in awnser to your lastpost yes. Should have time in morning to put something together on sketchup by like 8:30/900. Hopefully it will help.

bitts - Thanks so much for AL of your help I really appreciate everything. I now see the "Break" in baffles from the skimmer to the fuge. The question I now ask is is that the third baffle or is that indeed another baffle resulting in 4 baffles

bitts - Thanks so much for AL of your help I really appreciate everything. I now see the "Break" in baffles from the skimmer to the fuge. The question I now ask is is that the third baffle or is that indeed another baffle resulting in 4 baffles

its kind of a semantic issue. the first 2 baffels are soild. the 3rd is made up of 2 peices, an upper & a lower, on the same plane.

also the above sump is a 40 to give perspective.

heres that carbon chamber/2nd baffel.

refugium%20based%20sump%20with%20carbon%20chamber.jpg

not needed but could be usefull. sorry that took so long not sure what was up but seems to be workin now.

idealy the carbon would be submerged.

Negative JP, however I took a picture of my plans for you too review before I make my trek to Lowes. Let me know what you think:

wr-1.jpg

perfect. you could make the 1st & 4th a diffrent height, ( like a 1/4") to improve suface skimming. but still this looks good. have fun @ the store.

Hey I put the first and fourth baffles in last night. My silicone job needs work but I'm impressed with it being my first time doing something like this. I checked them out today, there sturdy but I'll be adding a insurance coat for my own peace of mind. I have run into not really a problem but a speed bump.

How do you silicone in between baffles? The space is only an inch and is there

a trick or something?

if your putting a baffle with a filter pad after the fuge, you probably don't need the bubble trap. Thats how i did my sump.

I'm not going to put a filter pad after the fuge. I figured I could always get reactors for this tank and use carbon like that rather then just bags of chemi-pure.

does anyone have any good ideas on tricks for siliconing between baffles?

I assume that its not the siliconing that the problem but tooling it. Any number of ways, but basicly tape off the area with one long peace so it can be pulled afterwards. Put down the silicone put baffel in place silicone the second side if needed. Then tool the difficult to reach side with something long enough like paint stick or something. It will help to warp it in something like a latex glove or non lubed condom. You will want to pull the tape within a couple of minites. If the #2 or #3 baffel leak its not the end of the would you just need them to stay put. the baffels that matter are the ones that set the water line for each chamber.

I space my baffles out just wide enough to get a hand down. Then i just put a wad of silicone on my finger and tool them all in like that.

I did run into a few situations in the past where i couldnt get a hand down there, i used one of those old school curtain rods with a rounded edge to tool it in.

So I finished the sump last night. I'm proud of it because of me building it - not because of my expertise with the silicone gun. I'm glad its over and I'll post pictures here. Bitts Your the man for helping me the whole way, now its just on the the Herbie haha.

My silicone job is Rough to say the least so give me a break it was my first sump build.

Archived