Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

Maestro's 57G Illuminata Rimless

VtheMaestro

VtheMaestro

After years of freshwater tanks I decided to take the plunge into saltwater. I set up a 29g Biocube in December that caused me to all but neglect my once prized 90g reef-ready African cichlid tank. I disassembled my 90g, gave it to a friend, and began my search for a new saltwater tank to take its place. I decided on the 57g Oceanic Illuminata rimless aquarium. Thus begins my journey. I promise plenty of pics and posts, feel free to chime in with feedback, questions, and comments. ;)

4439500265_f05f50e4c8_b.jpg

• Replies 126
  • Created
  • Last Reply
VtheMaestro

Prospective Equipment List

• Glass-Holes overflow/return kit
  • Aquatic Life 36" Fixture = [(2) 36" T5 HO 39W 420/460 Lamps/(1) G12 150W HID 10,000K Lamp/(4) 1W Lunar LED's]
  • Coralife Super Skimmer 65
  • Mag 7 Pump
  • Coralife Turbo-Twist 3x
  • Aqueon ProFlex Model 2 Sump
  • Custom Stand
  • Hydor Koralia Powerhead Vortech MP10es
  • Fluval E Series 200w Heater Hydor ETH 300w In-Line Heater

Am I missing anything?

VtheMaestro

Filling the tank with water to check the seams is an important step that I often neglect. Drilling the tank to add my overflow will void my warranty, so I had to be sure the tank was sound before it was too late.

4439500317_e26bed28dd_b.jpg

Years of observing tanks has taught me that unless its meant to be viewed from both sides, most tanks look best with a background of some sort. I opt for a black spray painted background. A couple coats of Krylon flat black yield exceptional results and ensure that the contents of the tank are the focal point.

4440277790_c4d8f46e9b_b.jpg

4439500407_131baa0faf_b.jpg

Taped up, ready to spray paint

4439500451_80db144e92_b.jpg

4439500479_d5793b2207_b.jpg

Peeling the tape from the trim

4440278058_c9da53dddb_b.jpg

Painted, ready to drill

4439500629_51665ce3f6_b.jpg

4439500689_939ddd49bf_b.jpg

The blue blanket inside the tank is to catch the glass discs that fall out when the drilling is complete. I'd hate to ruin the front of the tank with a chip or scratch

VtheMaestro

I wanted to start on my plumbing today, but I'm waiting on my stand to be completed so my measurements will be precise. I'm converting the drain on my sump to 1-1/2", rather than the stock 1", to match the size of the overflow bulkhead. The fittings for 1-1/2" pvc are considerably larger than 1", so space behind my tank is at a premium if I plan to keep it as close to the wall as possible.

The Overflow

4440277520_ab431d82da_b.jpg

Thanks for the Fundip, Mike

4440277572_bb3fd267f3_b.jpg

The Return Kit

4439500225_ce993b8b90_b.jpg

My proposed plumbing setup

4440321831_f754b8fbc8_o.jpg

I'm open to any questions, comments, and feedback. Speak up

Question: Why are the drains on most sumps 1" instead of 1-1/2" if flow seems to be everyone's primary concern? :mellow:

VtheMaestro

Christmas in March!

Today i received my sump, the Aqueon Proflex model 2. This will house my refugium, pump, skimmer, and uv sterilizer. I plan to mod the drain from the stock 1" elbow to a straight 1-1/2" input (< excuse my terminology, i'm a sound guy, so input and output is all i know :mellow: )

4441721198_6a6891790c_b.jpg

VtheMaestro

Christmas in March pt 2

I've been scouring the net in search of inspiration for my aquascape and one name kept coming up: Takashi Amano. I was able to find all three of his books in near-mint condition on ebay, so I'm about to dive in. All of the photographs in his books are of freshwater, but the artistic principles in each tank can be applied to any medium.

4441721126_44e24c74be_b.jpg

I'll snap a few pics of my existing tank as soon as the lights come on. I'll be starting my 'scape with the majority (or none) of those rocks, and the tank's inhabitants will be transplanted once the 57G is complete.

VtheMaestro

First set back... I just got my Fluval heater but its too long to fit (even diagonally) in the sump. Any suggestions for a smaller replacement?

4442151770_3251b6489d_o.jpg

VtheMaestro
Coralife SS65? :huh: Really?

I'm new to the skimmer game. Do you have some other suggestions for me in a comparable price range? The guy at my LFS used to work for the company, so he gave me the hard sell.

VtheMaestro

Here are a few pics from my Biocube 29. The contents of this tank will be the first to move into the 57G. Currently its a pair of clowns, a blue spot jawfish, a 6 line wrasse, a couple shrimp, various (pretty drably colored) coral frags, and a CUC

4441714265_6ccfba9918_b.jpg

4441714495_7a395902c6_b.jpg

older pics here > My Bio Cube http://bit.ly/dCJ8Ui

It looks to me like you would be able to fit that heater.

I like the light fixture you have picked out, but I'd change the MH bulb to 14k instead of 10k.

VtheMaestro
It looks to me like you would be able to fit that heater.

I like the light fixture you have picked out, but I'd change the MH bulb to 14k instead of 10k.

your avatar is hilarious! :lol: The heater was a no go. The sump is far more narrow than i anticipated. I boxed up the Fluval to send back in the morning. Someone suggested the Hydor ETH 300w in-line heater instead, so I went ahead and got that one.

Thanks for that advice. Is changing to the 14k bulb an electrical mod, or just a matter of buying a new bulb?

Can't tell from your pic why that heater won't fit... ?

Looks like you are being free with the money, why not dump the koralia and get an mp10 or two (or a 40).

You find that tank locally? What shop?

Sorry for all the questions but this looks like the sort of build I have been thinking about. If you put it together and it works maybe I'll just break the credit card out and duplicate it lol.

VtheMaestro
Can't tell from your pic why that heater won't fit... ?

Looks like you are being free with the money, why not dump the koralia and get an mp10 or two (or a 40).

You find that tank locally? What shop?

Sorry for all the questions but this looks like the sort of build I have been thinking about. If you put it together and it works maybe I'll just break the credit card out and duplicate it lol.

The heater is too long and the sump is too narrow. It wouldn't fit comfortably in any of the chambers; the fill line was exposed no matter how I turned it. I like the idea of the in-line heater more anyway, so I'm glad someone suggested it. I wouldn't have liked the look of a pair of 100w heaters. lol

LMAO @ "free with the money" - I work from home so I like the best in my surroundings

I'm seriously considering the vortech powerhead, but i don't like not being able to change the angle of the flow. I may bite the bullet and buy it anyway, it sure is sexy

I ordered the tank thru Optimum Aquarium in Kenessaw, GA. They didn't have it in stock, but Greg showed it to me while we looked for alternatives to another tank he had on the sales floor with a big ugly overflow. I hadn't heard of the Illuminata line prior to that.

Nemo Niblets
The heater is too long and the sump is too narrow. It wouldn't fit comfortably in any of the chambers; the fill line was exposed no matter how I turned it. I like the idea of the in-line heater more anyway, so I'm glad someone suggested it. I wouldn't have liked the look of a pair of 100w heaters. lol

LMAO @ "free with the money" - I work from home so I like the best in my surroundings

I'm seriously considering the vortech powerhead, but i don't like not being able to change the angle of the flow. I may bite the bullet and buy it anyway, it sure is sexy

I ordered the tank thru Optimum Aquarium in Kenessaw, GA. They didn't have it in stock, but Greg showed it to me while we looked for alternatives to another tank he had on the sales floor with a big ugly overflow. I hadn't heard of the Illuminata line prior to that.

You won't want to change the angle of the flow. It's not like a koralia, the flow is very very broad.

Depends on what you're stocking. My intent with a tank your size is to use two mp10's because that will work best with what I have in mind for scaping and stock. But for sheer hurricane in a box, a single mp40 would probably be great.

clownfish14

i would get the new mp40 wireless just in case you need another one :D

just joking one would be fine or two mp10s

edit: oh looks like violinist beat me to it ok then <_<

Nemo Niblets

I would do two MP10s instead. More freedom.

The MP10 just came out with a new driver too. The MP10ES. It's wireless, and with some more modes. It costs more though :(

You can sync them.

VtheMaestro

thanks nemo, clownfish, and violinist. Any votes for the mp20? i think i'll start with one mp10 and see if it works. 57G tank minus the gallons displaced from my rockwork should put me in the 5-50g range of the mp10.

PRE-ORDER Ecotech Marine MP10 Vortech Propeller Pump w/ EcoSMART Driver http://bit.ly/akBq7V

Nemo Niblets

The MP10 won't be enough flow alone, although it will push out enough flow for you to cycle.

The MP20 isn't much more powerful than the MP10. I would choose either MP40 or two MP10s. Personally, I would do two MP10s.

As for the skimmer... don't get the Coralife.

I recommend the Vertex In-80 or In-100. It comes off as cheap, but it is actually a very very good skimmer. The Reef Octopus skimmers are good choices also.

I would also take a look at these.

http://reefbuilders.com/2010/02/24/swc-120...ed-impressions/

Also, why the aquaticlife T5 fixture?

VtheMaestro
The MP10 won't be enough flow alone, although it will push out enough flow for you to cycle.

The MP20 isn't much more powerful than the MP10. I would choose either MP40 or two MP10s. Personally, I would do two MP10s.

As for the skimmer... don't get the Coralife.

I recommend the Vertex In-80 or In-100. It comes off as cheap, but it is actually a very very good skimmer. The Reef Octopus skimmers are good choices also.

I would also take a look at these.

http://reefbuilders.com/2010/02/24/swc-120...ed-impressions/

Also, why the aquaticlife T5 fixture?

I like the idea of 2 MP10s. I'll start with one for now to see how I like it, then pick up the 2nd later.

As for the skimmer, I'll look into the other options. I have to research the return policy of the LFS i bought it from.

As for the fixture, i liked the the built in time controls, and i liked the 3 different type of lights on one power cord. I figured anything was better than the power compacts in my biocube. lol. Suggestions on something better with similar features?

VtheMaestro
Prospective Equipment List

• Glass-Holes overflow/return kit
  • Aquatic Life 36" Fixture = [(2) 36" T5 HO 39W 420/460 Lamps/(1) G12 150W HID 10,000K Lamp/(4) 1W Lunar LED's]
  • Coralife Super Skimmer 65
  • Mag 7 Pump
  • Coralife Turbo-Twist 3x
  • Aqueon ProFlex Model 2 Sump
  • Custom Stand
  • Hydor Koralia Powerhead Vortech MP10es
  • Fluval E Series 200w Heater Hydor ETH 300w In-Line Heater

Am I missing anything?

Thanks to some feedback on this forum and others, I've made a few changes to my list! I'm still open to suggestions, nothing is set in stone. I've got my eye on this to replace the Coralife skimmer > SWC 120 & 160 cone protein skimmers unboxed and first impressions http://bit.ly/bOO9zV

Christmas in March pt 2

I've been scouring the net in search of inspiration for my aquascape and one name kept coming up: Takashi Amano. I was able to find all three of his books in near-mint condition on ebay, so I'm about to dive in. All of the photographs in his books are of freshwater, but the artistic principles in each tank can be applied to any medium.

4441721126_44e24c74be_b.jpg

I'll snap a few pics of my existing tank as soon as the lights come on. I'll be starting my 'scape with the majority (or none) of those rocks, and the tank's inhabitants will be transplanted once the 57G is complete.

Those are fantastic books. Takashi Amano is simply awesome! Your build is inspiring me to upgrade my Aquapod 24 to a rimless. I had no idea Oceanic was making rimless tanks now?

Archived