Cultivated Reef

New Solana Owner Question

jonc

Everyone,

I just took delivery of my new Solana 34 :) I also purchased the loved/hated "disco ball" but I really like the HQI for my future corals. I am doing my background research before starting the cycle process. I am new to saltwater and would like to do it right. I also have a JBJ nano 12DX on the way I will be setting up as a small quarantine zone for future purchases and a place to grow some frags to put in my Solana.

I am going to setup the 34 as a reef tank with mostly soft coral and anemones. I like the inverts and will have a few fish but not an overload. If I am lucky I would like a clam also.

Here is my question. I know it is a little opinionated. Should I use the "bioballs" that came with the system. I know in the JBJ instructions it says to remove them for a "reef tank" I understand that they are good for some fish only situations. I am afraid I would not wash them correctly as some folks have suggested so I am thinking about not using them.

If I do this, how should I set up the middle chamber? Just leave the carbon pack on the bottom? Should I place some LR back there?

I am interested in the idea of a Refuge but I am worried it is too complicated for a beginner and I am afraid it would clog my filter system. My LFS suggested it would complicate the Solana and would not be needed if I did not add too many fish.

Since I am a rookie I am sure I have missed many key things but if anyone has suggestions I will gladly listen.

This seems like a great group and I already have learned a lot from the thread. I hope one day i can give back some after I get experience. I will post some pics once I finish my DIY stand and get it cycling.

Thanks

Jonc

No bioballs, get some cheato for the middle chamber. You can put some bagged chemi-pure and floss on the top plate of the middle chamber. I ditched the sponges too.

No bioballs, get some cheato for the middle chamber. You can put some bagged chemi-pure and floss on the top plate of the middle chamber. I ditched the sponges too.

I have the same question as him. If you put the cheato in the middle chamber (between plate 1 and 2) don't you have to have a late back there with it otherwise it would die for lack of lighting? (also no rubble rock or live sand either?)

Also if you do put a light, how do you put the middle plate on?

And then chemi-pure - I've been told by many people not to run chemical filter long term, only when problems come up.

thoughts

as far as a light goes stevieT has some i think that are submersable but i have a maganetic one that works great. i tried running chemipure but it f###ed with the water levels so i took it out and my tank is doing fine skimmerless and chemipureless and i have sps

There are several LFS in the DFW area that sell the LED lights that whould work for you. What part of the area do you live in?

There are several LFS in the DFW area that sell the LED lights that whould work for you. What part of the area do you live in?

I'm live near white rock lake. I figured there was something at home depot that worked like the ones intank sale. I'm sure the LFS jacks there prices up in these. What fish stores were u suggesting? What brand / style of lights were u thinking of?

TriggerHappyDude

I bought StevieT's LED lights a while back, all I did was slice one of the holes with a razor blade that would allow me to run the wire through the top plate like this...

IMG_6607-1.jpg

I bought StevieT's LED lights a while back, all I did was slice one of the holes with a razor blade that would allow me to run the wire through the top plate like this...

IMG_6607-1.jpg

very nice! Those lights, do u think home depot sales anything that would work?

Also do out anything on that bottom plate to keep the alega from going into chamber 3?

That is a nice set up. The one I had on my RSM cost around $27 and they are at most LFS. 6 bulbs one cord. Notch out the cover plate for the cord and you are done. Get the white ones.

http://www.marinedepot.com/Ecosystem_LED_A...TFILDSB-vi.html

I've heard alot of different stories about doing this. Does it work? Some of said that just putting the chetta (sp) and a light back there does not good. in order to make it work you need all the "stuff" - dirt, rubbles, snails, crabs, etc.... is this true? I'm thinking about getting some of these lights, some chetta alega, and putting between the bottom and top plate... will that work?

Also, if you are running a good skimmer is there a reason to do this? Do you need both?

IMO a fuge is almost worthless in a Nano. Some people swear by them and others do not. When I had one in my RMS I never seen anything from having one. There are several posts on the difference of skimming and fuges. They are not the same and do two different things. I hated the issues with having to clean out the pumps. I do not have one right now and will not get one on this tank. On larger tanks I would have one just not on a nano.

I've heard alot of different stories about doing this. Does it work? Some of said that just putting the chetta (sp) and a light back there does not good. in order to make it work you need all the "stuff" - dirt, rubbles, snails, crabs, etc.... is this true? I'm thinking about getting some of these lights, some chetta alega, and putting between the bottom and top plate... will that work?

Also, if you are running a good skimmer is there a reason to do this? Do you need both?

It sounds like this is the way to do it. I like the LEDs in the water. Nice setup.

I guess my only question is what keeps the Cheato from being sucked down through the holes in the bottom plate and clogging the circulation pump?

Should you put a screen or floss down there. It seems like that would clog too.

Jon

Thanks. It sounds like the right way to go in the long run.

While cycling the tank in the beginning I was thinking about just running just the stock carbon bags in number 2 to help with the cycling and then add the Floss over Cheato and light once I start seeing some nitrates.

Would that be a good plan?

Thanks Again

jon

To me its to much of a hassle for such a small tank. In my 2nd chamber all I have is the InTank box for my Vortech. It's been this way for the last year or so with no problems. Just my .2 though

So along those same lines Pudge, did you ditch the skimmer? My BC14 has been doing fine without one for over two years, so why do I need a skimmer (and all the cost, noise and headaches that go with it) in my Solana?

Archived