Cultivated Reef

HOB for NC 12 design - needing input/ advice/ suggestions

thadscottmoore

thadscottmoore

I am rebuilding my NC12 nano-cube. I was originally going to just rip out the rear chambers/back-wall then re-arrange the chamber set up (having an overflow in the middle chamber that flowed to a second chamber that included a protein skimmer ( Aquaticlife Mini Skimmer 115) then to return pump chamber (return pump is a 300 gph marineland penguin powerhead- note that is a nano tank setup) - on the other side of the overflow chamber would be a seperator wall and a refugium chamber on other side of wall. A duplicate of http://www.nano-reef.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=177194 .

However, after I ripped all the internal filter system out- I realized I liked the extra room in the tank- and changed my plan to have HOB (increased volume and more room to work with) rather than internal components. Thus, I began designing a HOB to suit my needs. I had the HOB panels cut from plexiglass. Built my Overflow setup utilizing a u-tube muffler design last night. Got my protein skimmer in today. Laid it out on the back wall plexi glass along with intake from overflow and determined the height needed for my baffles- sketched baffles onto paper backing- to exact size and location.- utilizing the bubble trap baffle setup. The operating height from bottom of skimmer to desired water level is 7 3/4 inches. I am going to install skimmer with magnets so I can adjust overall skimmer height if needed and fine tune the skimmer setup- there will be a gap of 4 inches below the protein skimmer to the bottom of the HOB. First chamber will be 10 inches tall x 4 1/2 inches wide x 3 1/2 inches deep. Using 1/8 inch baffles- I am going to allow 1/2 inch flow between baffles. thus far- space used in sump is 5 7/8 inches leaving 7 5/8 of working room. pump size would take another 3 1/4 inches of space. with baffle- leaving only 4 inches for refugium area. so- refugium area would be 14 inches tall x 4 inches wide and 3 1/5 inches deep. refugium light (I built is as same as http://www.nano-reef.com/forums/index.php?...p;hl=fuge+light ) would be located on side of refugium section. Refugium would be supplied with a T in return line controlled by a valve. overflowing back into the pump chamber. any ideas/ suggestions are welcomed.

note- I also have considered installing the pump in the tank- pushing back into the sump - eliminating space used by pump= giving more space for refugium area.- the pump would go up to a T and split to protein skimmer and to refugium- valve on refugium side to regulate flow into refugium. tank return would be just overflow though pipes and elbows. such a setup would give me about 14 x 9 3/4 x 3 1/2 inches of refugium area with the light located overhead.

Which setup sounds better?

tips/ tricks/ ideas/ experience welcomed!!!

thadscottmoore

so far this is how far I have got- still debating bulkhead fittings sizes before I proceed. May go ahead and build an overflow box for setup.

th_0224001347-1.jpg

th_0224001346a.jpg

th_0224001346.jpg

th_0224001344.jpg

th_0224001345.jpg

th_0224001345a.jpg

th_0224001613.jpg

th_0224001612a.jpg

th_0224001612.jpg

th_0224001611.jpg

th_0224001651a.jpg

th_0224001651.jpg

th_0224002224.jpg

th_0224002226.jpg

th_0224002227a.jpg

thadscottmoore
It's looking good so far. Nice acrylic work. I will be following along as I have a 12dx tank sitting in the garage.

Thank you. I will be drilling the front piece tomorrow to install a 1" overflow line through bulkhead fitting. and 3/4 inch return line through bulkhead fitting. also, I plan on building a surface skimmer box to feed it from.

thadscottmoore
Where are you putting your heater. This is a very nice design. I may have to rethink mine after seeing yours.

There is room in my skimmer chamber for the heater. Its a work in the process.

How is the progress going? I would like to see some more pics of your progress. I made a trip to regal today for some scrap to practice with. I like your idea.

thadscottmoore
How is the progress going? I would like to see some more pics of your progress. I made a trip to regal today for some scrap to practice with. I like your idea.

Currently- all I am waiting on is the Bulkhead fittings to complete it. hope they are here tomorrow....

my skimmer box I built- I need to do a little modify on it- nothing bad, just some tweaking...

How do you plan to do yours?

I'm going to make a media basket first to get used to the acrylic process. I was thinking about doing something along the lines of a Cal-flo design feeding into the chambered fuge similar to your design.

Archived