urbaneks

Nano.jpg

Photo Taken at 16 Months - Feb. 22nd, 2011

Lots of new photos on page 12

Tank Established: November 19, 2009

Tank Specs

Display: Stock 28g Nano Cube

Lighting: 20" Current Nova Extreme Pro T5

Filtration: 32lbs of Live Rock and Filter Floss in 1st Chamber of Upgraded Media Basket (Pure Nano)

Equipment: Jager 100W Heater, Turkey Baster, Toothbrush, Mag Float

Circulation: (2) 295 GPH Maxi-Jet 1200's in back of tank. (1) 200 GPH Maxi-Jet Powerhead positioned low in display

Maintenance Routine

Dailey: Observe Live Stock, Top off Tank with RO/DI from house system, Ensure Temperature is Stable at 78 degrees

Every 2nd Day: Use Turkey Baster on Live Rock, Clean Glass with MagFloat, Rinse/Replace Filter Floss

Weekly: Clean Glass and Back Wall with Cleaning Pad, Use Tooth Brush to Clean Glass at the Gravel Line, Use Turkey Baster on Live Rock, Make 6 g Water Change

Monthly: Measure and Record Alkalinity, pH, Salinity, Phosphates, Calcium and Nitrates. Frag or Thin Out Corals as Needed

Quarterly: Strip and Clean Powerheads, Clean Inside Pipe Work

Annually: Replace Heater, Tank Bulbs and RO Filters for Top Off

Fish

Goby: Black Ray Goby paired with Candy Pistol Shrimp

Clownfish: Pair of Ocellaris Clownfish

Angel Fish: African Flameback Angel Fish

Clam: Tridacna Deresa

Wrasse: Six Line Wrasse

Corals

SPS: Montipora Capriconus, Yellow Scroll, Green Birdsnest, Green Porites

LPS: Branching Hammer, Orange Crush Acan, Cup Coral, Open Brain, Duncan, Red Acan

Soft Corals: Eagle Eye Zoanthids, Pink Zoanthids, AOI Zoanthids, Nuclear Green Palythoas, Army Green Palythoas, Green Star Polyps, Clove Polyp, Misc Zoanthids

Acan.jpgMonti.jpg

Brain.jpgclove.jpg

hammer.jpgeezoa.jpg

gsp.jpgagpaly.jpg

DuncanPost.jpg

symbiotic.jpg

Clownfish.jpg

flameback.jpg

Clam%20Upload.jpg

Rics.jpg

ZoaGarden.jpg

angel.jpg

6%20Line.jpg

• Replies 324
  • Created
  • Last Reply

WOW! Your tank is beautiful. I hope my tank looks nearly that good after the 6 month mark. Thanks for posting. How do you have the media basket setup? Do you use the wavemaker, and if so what is your settings for it.

WOW! Your tank is beautiful. I hope my tank looks nearly that good after the 6 month mark. Thanks for posting. How do you have the media basket setup? Do you use the wavemaker, and if so what is your settings for it.

Thanks for the reply and kind words. I've yet to get a FTS that I am happy with. The shadows on the pic just don't do the cave/rock work justice.

On the media basket - I am running filter floss in the first chamber. I ring the filter floss out every 2 days and then replace it about once a week. I know that several people say not to run filter floss but I have too much stuff floating around if I don't. I also am running Phos Lock in the 2nd chamber as my phosphates were a bit high two water tests ago. Phos Lock is doing it's job, last test showed a trace of phosphates.

On the wave maker - I have a 3rd powerhead that is installed low behind my rock that is hooked to the wave maker. It is currently running for 20 sec on then 20 sec off. The two powerheads in the back of the tank run constantly.

I'm bookmarking this thread for the awesome maintenance routine! very nice!

Love the pictures! what kinda camera are you using to take them? I'm having trouble figuring out how to make my camera take good pictures. keep up the good work!!

I'm bookmarking this thread for the awesome maintenance routine! very nice!

Love the pictures! what kinda camera are you using to take them? I'm having trouble figuring out how to make my camera take good pictures. keep up the good work!!

Thanks for the kudos on the maintenance routine. It's been successful for me thus far.

As for the camera, I have a Canon Digital SLR with two different lenses. The way to get good photos is to get a tripod and shoot in manual mode. If you are relying on the auto setting... best of luck.

There is a nice photo post here on Nano-Reef. See this link Reef Photography

symbiotic.jpg

Candy Pistol Shrimp & Black Ray Goby

My first tank mates went in the tank yesterday. Took them about 2 hours to pair up. The Black Ray Goby waited patiently next to the Brain while the Pistol worked on their burrow. Very, very glad that I went with these two as my first inhabitants.

Library.jpg

Full Tank Shot in the Library

It amazes me what the reef has done for our library. This was a once forgotten room in the house that saw little to no visitors. It's become a favorite place for our family to hang out and study the tank.

Great looking tank. I love the aqua scape and the abundance of corals. I love the shrimp/goby pair.

Wish you went with frags, would be fun to see it all grow. Thats just me though :happy: , great work!

Any macro algae? whats in the back chamber? just filter floss?

Great looking tank. I love the aqua scape and the abundance of corals. I love the shrimp/goby pair.

Wish you went with frags, would be fun to see it all grow. Thats just me though :happy: , great work!

Any macro algae? whats in the back chamber? just filter floss?

Appreciate the view and comments. Several of my corals were/are frags. For example, the huge hammer has added 5 new heads in the 2.5 months. Also my clove polyp colony has doubled in size.

In the back chamber I'm running filter floss and phos lock. I'm in the process of building a new media basket for the rear chamber. It's a work in process, will share here if it's successful.

It is amazing that some of the corals you have look so good. Awesome tank!!! I was told that the brains would not make it with the lighting. I have the sametank you have. How do you keep your goby feed? I was also told gobys cannot make it in a nano cube. What do you feed him?

It is amazing that some of the corals you have look so good. Awesome tank!!! I was told that the brains would not make it with the lighting. I have the sametank you have. How do you keep your goby feed? I was also told gobys cannot make it in a nano cube. What do you feed him?

The brain that I have is an open brain (Trachyphyllia geoffroyi) and it definitely is not a high light coral. He has been thriving since I added him. You should have not problem keeping him in your Quad CF. Keep him in the sand bed, that is where they are home to.

My goby eats anything I put in there. I try to feed cyclopeez 3 times a week and mysis one time week. Not sure why someone would tell you not to put gobies in a nano. They make awesome fish for nano's. They don't require much space, stay put in a small location in the tank and they stay small. If you get one also get a shrimp, it's their courage.

I have never seen that thing before! Were did you get him?

Duncan's are pretty common, I've seen them at most of my LFS's. Scientific name is Duncanopsammia axifuga, also seen it referred to as Whiskers Coral

There is several LFS around here but they do not focus much at all on corals. Jsut eh Fish. Makes it hard for me trying to find coral to purchase locally.

There is several LFS around here but they do not focus much at all on corals. Jsut eh Fish. Makes it hard for me trying to find coral to purchase locally.

Do a quick Google search for Duncan Coral for sale. You will get lots of options.

Today I added the JBJ Auto Top Off with Tom's Aqua Lifter pump. I keep returning to the tank to make sure I don't have a flood. So far so good!

$80 for the ATO, $5 for the pump and $10 for a 3 gallon jug that fits under the stock JBJ stand. ATO and pump came from Marine Depot and the jug came from Target. Seems like a $100 well spent.

That was my first purchase from Marine Depot. I must say they are very quick shipping. Ordered on a Monday, it arrived Wednesday. That was their standard shipping.

wow amazing tank i love the pics. i wish i could take that good of pictures. keep up the good work

Thanks for the look and compliment.

I started up my 28g Nano-Cube back in November of 2009. Overall I’m very happy with my decision to purchase the Nano-Cube. However, after getting the tank setup, one of my first observations was that the stock media basket did not handle the entire water column as it hit the media basket. While my first instinct told me this was a flaw, I figured that it must be good enough. As the tank ran, I just could not get the floating particles in the water to go away. Filter floss, sponges, etc, were added to the media basket, rinsed and replaced a couple times a week. After 2 months with filter floss, still not much improvement to the floating particles. While I kept coming back to the undersized media basket I could not find a product on line that would replace the stock media basket. That is when I made the decision to make this a DIY project.

Build%206.jpg

I’ve been running the new basket in my tank for 2 weeks now. I am running Filter Floss in the top, Phosban in the middle and Chemi-Pure Elite in the bottom. My tank has never looked better and finally, no more particles floating around the tank!!!

For full details, check out the build thread here: http://www.nano-reef.com/forums/index.php?...p;#entry2680471

my monti is doing pretty good in the middle of my tank. it has definitely grown in the last 6 months. i have the quad light and i run it from 8 to 3. your tank looks really good. i like the custom filter basket you made, i think im going to build one for my tank because i also have a lot of small particles floating around, thanks.

Archived