Innovative Marine Aquariums

How To: Add Moonlights To A 36w Coralife

tmhasara

So I decided I wanted moonlights on my tank, being that my 36w Coralife didn't come with them. I looked at the light, and decided there was adequate room to add some, ran down to the LFS, picked one up, then realized it wasn't going to be quite as easy as I anticipated, and decided to make a How To out of it.

Here is the LED moonlight system that I used; it can be found just about anywhere. It obviously comes with a power adapter, I had already taken it out of the package.

box.jpg

The next step is to cut off the mounting tabs so that you can have more room to mount it, when done, it actually contours against the reflectors perfectly. I just used a pair of needle nose pliers to snap them right off.

clipsoff.jpg

Now, you need to remove the black plastic cover at the end with the switch and wire. Be sure to note that one of the wires is grounded against the exterior case by way of one of the screws.

sideapart.jpg

Then, carefully drill a hole under the original wire while being mindful of the wires and everything inside. There is also a rubber washer that comes attached to the plug, you can instead push this over the end of the plug onto the wire, then use it to help seal up the hole.

holewasher.jpg

Now remove the other black plastic end, be careful, the case is actually two pieces and will come apart if you do not hold it together. This could mess up the wiring. Then, push the wire through to the other side of the light, and into the reflector area by way of the cutout used by the original wires. If you struggle with this, you can straighten out a coat hanger, tape the plug to the end of the hanger, then use the hanger to push the wire through.

apartwired.jpg

Then screw both black plastic covers on, being sure to re-attach the groun wire. Then undo the two rubber bands holding the light closest to the front, and scoot the light towards the end with the plug, to make room for the moonlight, reattach rubberbands. Then, simply use some super glue to attach the moonlight against the reflector, you will see how it tucks nicely in there. Plug in the moonlight. Slide in plexiglass cover.

togetherdone.jpg

You're done!

done.jpg

Enjoy.

Archived