8" deep sand bed with mud

seagrass

garden eels

redspot cardinals

blue eye cardinals

orange spotted filefish

thoughts?

Sounds perfect!

Add mangroves so the cardinals can hide with a lagoon look.

After reading about seagrass I dont think you need the mud. There is a thread on RC with a guy with 12-13 garden eels. I see if I can find the link.

-Dave

Sounds perfect!

After reading about seagrass I dont think you need the mud. There is a thread on RC with a guy with 12-13 garden eels. I see if I can find the link.

-Dave

uhuru that guys on marineplantedtank forum toooo cant remember the name tho

u need like 12" sand for eels apparently. i reckon like one rock pile and seagrass all round

what are the watermovemnt plans for this? plumbing? wats goin on mann

keen on this

I am so excited for this tank right now. Mangroves would definitely be a cool addition. Are you gonna try any corals? Elegance's would work well. Or a little bommie completely covered in xenia.

Sounds perfect!

-Dave

Yeah LMK if you find the link. I did a search last night and didn't find a lot of info. My LFS has a garden eel tank though so I was going to model it after theirs. Lets get this continuous feeding thing rolling too. I'll email you my ideas. I'd like to incorporate that into this tank. I know the eels and redspots will appreciate it.

uhuru that guys on marineplantedtank forum toooo cant remember the name tho

u need like 12" sand for eels apparently. i reckon like one rock pile and seagrass all round

what are the watermovemnt plans for this? plumbing? wats goin on mann

keen on this

12" would be good but 8" should work for Taenioconger hassi from what I've read (my LFS has had success with only 6"). For water movement I have 2 tunze non-controllable pumps right now, 1800 gph each. I may have them on a timer with one going in one direction for 12 hours, then switch to the other going in the other direction for 12 hours. Not sure though. Any advice?

I am so excited for this tank right now. Mangroves would definitely be a cool addition. Are you gonna try any corals? Elegance's would work well. Or a little bommie completely covered in xenia.

I plan to have one rock pile with a small cave, so I might decorate it with some corals. Not going to do xenia because I plan to connect this to my non-photo tank, and I just don't want the stuff spreading over there. Even though the lighting in that tank is really dim, it might be enough. I've actually noticed some green algae growth in the tank recently and had to add a couple of snails. Elegance sounds like a good idea.

Speaking of lighting, what are your recommendations? I was thinking of going with a 36" 4-6 bulb T5HO fixture (maybe the new Tek lights) but I don't know if that is good enough for seagrass.

do you have a little brother you like to spoil? planning on adopting one? Im available!

Sorry, I only like to spoil my dogs, and fish... and corals :)

Just shoot me an email. I have been a little strapped on cash but should be good to go in a month or so on the chilled reactor.

Here's a tank. I cant find the garden eel one....

Macro- http://reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=620824

I would go with a 4 bulb Sunpower T5 or TEK. As for livestock why dont you stick with a true lagoon biotope. All the macro algae and Gorgonias, fungias and a anemone? Having the cardinals swimming in and out of the mangroves and even get a urchin. If the cardinals spawn they will "host" in it.

-Dave

yeah definitely some urchins!

a pancake batfish which only gets 4 inches would be cool. :)

never heard of them... according to wikipedia they burrow in the substrate. thinking that might not go well with the garden eels.

yeah definitely some urchins!

never heard of them... according to wikipedia they burrow in the substrate. thinking that might not go well with the garden eels.

how would this be a problem?

how would this be a problem?

I figure in this size tank and the amount of garden eels I'd like to keep the batfish would infringe upon the eels territory since they are both sand dwellers. Could be wrong just an assumption on my part.

Tagging along. I was planning on a 120g with plants, garden eels, pipefish, and seahorses.

I was thinking of building a section in the back that would be 8" tall with sand. Like a sandbox for garden eels.

animalmaster6
I'm thinking:

8" deep sand bed with mud

seagrass

garden eels

redspot cardinals

blue eye cardinals

orange spotted filefish

thoughts?

Pretty Darn Awesome Fish List!

Tagging!

Hey Dave I'll try to get some pics soon. There's a pic of the filefish in the fish forum but it was when I just got him so his colors were a little off.

I'll be emailing you soon. I need to sketch out my idea, it will be easier than trying to explain it.

Archived