Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

Fluval Edge LED setup

hector1520

Well I'm just about to pull the trigger on my nanocustoms order. I've been searching and reading like a maniac ever since I got this tank for Christmas. I just ordered these LED spotlights off ebay, got the idea from another fellow Edge owner

IMG_4956.JPG

Got them from here

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewI...7#ht_1101wt_939

I plan on doing either a 1x6 or 2x3 LED setup to supplement the spotlights.

4x Cool White XR-E Q5s

2x XR-E RBs

1x Meanwell LPC-20-700

So what I plan on doing is either getting two 1"x6" heatsinks and epoxying them to the swingarm and put three LEDs in each heat sink in a staggered pattern like so (Pardon my drawing skills, I'm trying to draw on a touchpad with the laptop in my bed :lol: )

Like so

1.jpg

or, do a single row of 5 LEDs and do one royal blue in between the two spotlights ( I have a tiny individual heatsink that I borrowed off a flashlight for the individual one. I would also grind some relief cuts on the heatsink that would allow me to angle the two outermost LEDs outward like the spotlights do to help in color blending.

Like this

2.jpg

Which of the two would be more efficient in blending the blues and whites together?

Spotlighting isn't as much of an issue since I would be doing two islands like this gentleman did

IMG_5068.JPG

He has a couple of VHOs above that tank, which IMO takes away from the sleek look of the tank, which is why I'm trying to keep everything enclosed in the factory hood. Cooling will be handled by a silent computer fan suspended from the light cover on a wall wart transformer.

nano1.JPG

I'm trying to keep this as sleek and PnP as possible, hence the Meanwell driver, unless you guys think a PS and Buckpuck combo would be better suited. Also, I'll note that I'd like to keep my LED limit at 6 due to money constraints. I pretty much have my mind made up but would love to hear other people's opinions.

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I also forgot to ask that since nanocustoms is out of the LPC-20-700, would it be ok to get the LPC-35-1050 since they seem to have those in stock. Would the RBs be able to handle the 1050mA? Or since the light is so close to the tank, would I have problems with corals scorching at 1050mA?

That's going to be a little much for a small tank.

If evilc says it's too strong, you might wanna tone it down a bit.

LED lighting is a lot stronger than many ppl realize.

Understatement of the century.

Lol, they're just these lil bumps that light up, how much light can they put out?

:friendly sarcasm:

That's going to be a little much for a small tank.

so what would you recommend? I thought about leaving the spotlights and just ditching the Cree idea and adding a 13 CFL bulb in there, or adding some kind of light diffuser?

Honestly, I'd go the other way and ditch the spots and keep the Crees. a 4x2 array with dimmable drivers would give you the best lighting in terms of spread, power and control.

polarblair2000

I saw one of these tanks at a pet store today whilst in a desperate search to find stores that sell Salt water fish (I've only found one so far) Anyway I thought it was a pretty smart looking nano tank but how on earth do you clean the inside of the glass, remove alge ect...

I stood staring puzzled at the tank for about 5 mins trying to figure it out. So Im curious how do you do it?

I saw one of these tanks at a pet store today whilst in a desperate search to find stores that sell Salt water fish (I've only found one so far) Anyway I thought it was a pretty smart looking nano tank but how on earth do you clean the inside of the glass, remove alge ect...

I stood staring puzzled at the tank for about 5 mins trying to figure it out. So Im curious how do you do it?

magnet cleaner

This rig is pretty dad gone sweet if you ask me. The lighting blows to death though. Came to NR just for this thread today. Specefically, Evil. Have you seen this thing in real life? If so, whet do you think would/could be possible for the given amount of space in that little hood? The tank is on sale right now for $100, but if I can't get some LEDs for it I would never get it. What say evil?

A custom LED setup is pretty much the only way to light the tank effectively for a reef while keeping the stock look of the tank. Even then, the lighting isn't perfect. Cool tank, but a lot of work to get it set for a reef.

Yeah, I knew that. One sort of semi-major problem

is that all must fit inside the little hood which also houses the filter. So the problem is one of light distribution throught the entire surface of the bottom of the tank. I'm thinking it's not gonna happen for me this time. Maybe six months down the road when someone else does all the R&D on the DIY of a great LED hood for it.

Evil, I just checked out those lights at eBay. You think it would be worthy if one were able to retro the hood to house 4 of those?

Not to get anyones hopes up, but I got my hands on a Fluval edge a few weeks back and am coming up with a drop in retro for it.

Also, Meanwells are here tomorrow.

Not to get anyones hopes up, but I got my hands on a Fluval edge a few weeks back and am coming up with a drop in retro for it.

Also, Meanwells are here tomorrow.

When were you going to tell me this? :P

Lol.

Rambo pee'd on one of his footballs, and on the way home a few weekends ago, the boss DEMANDED that we get him a new one. When at Petsmart, i saw one, so I figured i'd check it out.

I've been so depressed with the CHARGERS choke, that I forgot to mention it. Sorry honey!!!

evilc66 "Lucy!!! you got some splaining to do!!!"

That is great news! I was going to hold off on the LEDs until the spotlights got here but if a retro is a possibility in the near future I may just wait it out and make what I have work

I've got an Edge running with two wide-angle MR16 LED bulbs that have a total of 6 Cree XR-E's (at least claimed to be Cree). The lighting is strong enough that the corals, even some SPS frags, are responding well in the center of the tank, but there's a gradual drop-off towards the edges due to the bulbs being in the center, as well as harsh shadows from from anything that sticks up too much. This thread has given me some thoughts about supplementing the lighting with some additional blue LED's to get more overall light, distribution to the edges, and especially a higher color temp than 5500K. I'm thinking about 5 blue LED's in a line without optics under the front of the canopy. I have a Coralife 10W 50/50 CF bulb shoved in there right now, so there's plenty of room for a line of LED's.

I was wondering though if I could wire a LuxDrive buckpuck directly into the original lighting? The wall wart for the original 20 watt of halogens outputs 12V, 1700 mA AC, and there are LuxDrive buckpucks that take AC input. I measured that the two MR16 bulbs are consuming only 7 watts at the wall wart, would it be correct to wire the buckpuck in parallel with the two MR16 bulbs to drive up to five more Cree XR-E's or equivalent? The wall wart supposedly should be able to handle another 13 watts.

Even with more light, I'm seeing a problem with shadows due to the center light placement. Unless the coral is under the opening, one side will always be in shadow, and some of the SPS with a thick base seem to be losing tissue on the sides that are always in shadow. And you can't really put anything too tall or large under the center, otherwise you can't get your hand into the tank to do maintenance.

Also getting light to the corners is a challenge. The LED's can't sit too close to the top surface; if the pump goes off for any reason, the water level rises quickly in the opening and submerges the LED's. Once you're 1/2" above the surface, any wide angle LED's already start being blocked from reaching the edges by the canopy itself. I've put some reflective tape on the inside walls of the canopy to try to reflect the light back in, though I'm not sure it helps.

That is good news...Been waiting to set up my Fluval edge for quite a while now, but was waiting for a drop in lighting solution to pop up so my softies would survive and possibly thrive. Ccjung, any time frame or specifics as to how much light coverage while keeping the stock look? Patiently waiting............... Ah B.S. No I'm not :lol:

Well my lights came in and I'm totally happy with them. The light spread is wider than I thought and I think it will help with the shadowing. I'm going to go with 4 CW Cree Q4s on a dimmable buckpuck and angle the outer ones slightly

DSCF3923.jpg

BTW, this tank will probably end up being a mushroom/zoa garden. If/when nanotuners comes up with a drop in replacement I'll think about adding some SPS frags

Archived