ReefCleaners.org

Bristle worm question...need help STAT!

Baroose_Le

So I just got home and received my zoanthid frags that I ordered in the mail. I have like 6 bags total each with a little plug and a few zoa heads. But.....4 of the 6 bags have a good sized bristle worm in there (1.5-2 inches) like they added them in there on purpose! I am planning on removing them when I add them to my 3.5 gallon pico tank but wanted to post here to see if anyone had some thoughts. I know there is some debate about bristle worms and I have seen a few in my tank already but I cant imagine I should be adding 4 more big ones to my little tank on purpose right? Isn't this wierd? There are a couple of those little tiny starfish too with 2 or 3 short stubby legs on one side (forgot what they are called) but I think these guys are potential pests too right? HALP!

If they're asterina starfish, it's not super likely they are the bad kind. I have a lot of them and they cause no trouble. Bristle worms aren't bad either, they help clean up.

The regular red/pink ones with white hairs are perfectly fine, Even good. They are great scavengers and can help stir your sand bed.

Your sig pic is awesome!

Starfish is one of these Asterina starfish I think (scroll down for picture on the link). The one in the bag is more cream colored but thats gotta be what it is. Some say good, some say pest...

http://www.fishkeeping.co.uk/modules/newbb...p?post_id=40528

Now I noticed a tiny brittle starfish in another one...

He must have added all this stuff on purpose.

Brittle stars are still considered good for sandbed too right? I've been out of the scene for a few years hehe

cheryl jordan

QT, but I would just put it in the tank. Just check for nudibranchs and flatworms first, everything you have mentioned is fine for your tank. Check out Invert form, Different kind of Cuc, and you will see one of my current bristle worms I have had in my tank for years. My largest tank with SPS and clams has the largest bristlworms and alot of sm. brittle stars as well as a few Asternia stars, never had a problem. :)

2 inches is what I would consider a small bristle worm. Compared to eunice worms that get many feet in length, yours are small fry. +1 to the asterinas likely being harmless. There is no real debate about the usefulness of most hitchhiker bristle worms, but some people don't like worms.

Archived