inTank Media Baskets

20L>AP24 by Justin

Justind823

So, I was sick of the AIO detritus trap I had going, combined with the waiting to epically fail above tank mantis sump thingie. Around the time my sickness reached its peak I was awarded a used 20l. It was then decided that I was going to transfer everything into this and document the process. I did not want to create a tank thread until it was complete, basically 'cause I didn't want to create a tank thread and then end up having to scrap the project due to my lack of skills or an empty wallet.

I was inspired by some of the really clean looking tanks and stands on this site so I tried to replicate that in my build.

In keeping with the clean look I am going for I decided to go rimless with this used tank(later deciding to eurobrace since I like the water in the tank.) Also, I wanted a real sump/fuge for my mantis so I bought a 15 gallon and cut pieces of acrylic to section it off. Once the overflow and return kit arrived from Glass-holes.com I went to work.

IMG_2265.jpg

IMG_2266.jpg

IMG_2270.jpg

Here are some pictures of the stand being built:

IMG_2271.jpg

IMG_2274.jpg

IMG_2279.jpg

IMG_2286.jpg

I put these raised pieces on the stand to compensate for the lack of plastic bracing. I've heard there is a reason they raise the center of the tank but I never really learned what it was so I decided it was better to be safe then sorry.

IMG_2280.jpg

• Replies 119
  • Created
  • Last Reply

At the last minute I ran to home depot and got some GreatStuff! and eggcrate to make a foam wall. I looked at the tank and immediately decided it needed a rock wall. And once I was done with that I decdied that with what I had left the mantis needed a rock wall too. In both of these walls I layed pvc tunnels and caves for both mantis and whatever creature decides it needs to go spelunking.

I was playing around with the white balance on my camera in order to get a good shot of both the new lighting and rock wall.

IMG_2419.jpg

IMG_2420.jpg

What kind of lighting you ask???? This kind...

ooooahhhhhhhh

IMG_2461.jpg

Yea thats right. I got them. I ended up with 2 20k's and a 14k and I was lucky enough to get the new 21w type.

I made a track lighting fixture for them out of piping which can be adjusted up and down by various holes and a couple pins.

Now onto the move...

I was up until late hours of the morning scaping and transferring. Granted it was only going across the room but man was it stressful.

This was the final product and was taken around 3:30 a.m.

IMG_2430.jpg

Not a lot of pictures since I was a little busy with, well, everything.

Cool, looks like a good start.

I don't know 100% but I don't think it would have hurt to have the bottom sitting flat. :mellow:

Yea who knows, I can't remeber where I read that but since I couldnt find the thread anywhere I just went with it.

It was a good start! But wait, there's more! :happy:

So its a few days after the transfer now so its all cleared up. This is what it looks like today.

IMG_2456.jpg

Different white balances:

IMG_2466.jpg

IMG_2465.jpg

A few top down shots,

Ric garden:

IMG_2471-1.jpg

IMG_2473.jpg

IMG_2470.jpg

IMG_2474.jpg

GSP:

IMG_2463.jpg

Now, some of the corals are still getting used to the lighting, its a lot more intense than the 150w halide I had on the AP. And it sure is tough taking pictures under LED's... now I know what everyone was talking about :P

One more FTS:

IMG_2462.jpg

More! This is the sump/fuge I made for the mantis. I'll post new pictures of the mantis in the "Mantis Goodness" link at the bottom of the page but here are some.

IMG_2449.jpg

IMG_2458.jpg

Basically the overflow drains to the left side of the tank, through bubble traps and into the front mantis area, then through the overflow on the right side which drains into a media rack which then goes to the cheato and finally to the return.

IMG_2459.jpg

Here he is! His name is Rube.

IMG_2445.jpg

As for livestock, at the moment I have:

3 Pep shrimp

2 YWG's (I'm getting rid of one. It was a hopeful experiment pairing them up but its been 2 months and they still hate each other)

A bunch of blue leg hermits and a few assorted

Various snails (nerite, nass, cerith)

That's about it. I'm still trying to decide on what fish to get next but its a tough one. I wanted to get a little wartskin angler but I decided against it since it would just about eat everything shrimp and fish in the tank and since I have a mantis I already have the species tank down.

In the future I also want a PomPom crab, a Porcelain crab and some Sexies.

Oh also, I still have the doors to put on the stand, I just haven't had time.

Any suggestions on my new tank would be appreciated, thanks for looking!

You've done a lot of work and it looks fantastic!!!!!

i love your setup man.

Your tank looks great! I love the lighting.

Thanks a lot guys. I've got some corals coming later this week and I can't wait. I'll be sure to post some more pictures of them.

TheUnfocusedLove

Took you long enough to start a thread. :P

Looks awesome. When I talked to Brian yesterday he couldn't shut up about how sweet it was.

Mantis Rube = Dead like me Rube ?? If so, Awesome!

Took you long enough to start a thread. :P

Looks awesome. When I talked to Brian yesterday he couldn't shut up about how sweet it was.

Mantis Rube = Dead like me Rube ?? If so, Awesome!

Hah he would.

And hell yes Dead Like Me Rube. I was watching the show when I ordered him so it seemed appropriate.

Oh btw, since I pulled through with my tank thread I should say its about time to update your pico thread.

TheUnfocusedLove
Hah he would.

And hell yes Dead Like Me Rube. I was watching the show when I ordered him so it seemed appropriate.

Oh btw, since I pulled through with my tank thread I should say its about time to update your pico thread.

Rube was my favorite :wub:

I'll take pictures sometime this week and update my thread (maybe :ninja:)

• 2 weeks later...

I got some new corals the other day that I thought I'd share. I haven't placed them anywhere in particular since they are still acclimating to the light but here they are.

Baby torch. Very cool neon green color to it.

IMG_2479.jpg

IMG_2478.jpg

And a couple zoa frags

IMG_2482.jpg

IMG_2483.jpg

Tell me what you think!

Looks GREAT!

how'd you do the overflow/returns on the 20L? can't quite make out on the pics... 2holes -> 1 overflow/1 return?

does 3 PAR38s on the 20L seem about right?... or do you think 2 or 4 would be OK?

cheers...

I think your sand is clean. :)

Why thankyou Scott. I almost bought dirty sand, but when I saw this sand I thought " Man, that's clean." So...I splurged and got it. Everyday I wonder if I should have gotten the dirty...

Beautiful tank. The spotlights are awesome.

Thanks! They are, I'm loving every minute of them.

Looks GREAT!

how'd you do the overflow/returns on the 20L? can't quite make out on the pics... 2holes -> 1 overflow/1 return?

does 3 PAR38s on the 20L seem about right?... or do you think 2 or 4 would be OK?

cheers...

3 seems perfect to me. You could certainly get away with 2 of them providing you went for the two island look. 4 however might be too much, especially with these new 21w bulbs he sells. I have the new optics (80 degree) coming for them so when I pop them in I'll post my comments about them.

Warehouse41Ant
3 seems perfect to me. You could certainly get away with 2 of them providing you went for the two island look. 4 however might be too much, especially with these new 21w bulbs he sells. I have the new optics (80 degree) coming for them so when I pop them in I'll post my comments about them.

Yeah, keep us posted on the 80 degree optics. I think I may get 2 or 3 of these once I have money to upgrade lighting on my 20L. I figure I'll wait until it's a bit more established and I get algae under control.

Your tank looks amazing. Makes me jealous of how my 20 looks. The lights look AWESOME!

Tagging along for optics updates! B)

Yea hopefully I don't regret buying all 80's and find out I wish I had bought some 60's or all 60's for that matter. I'm banking that there isn't such significant light dispersion with the 80's for me to hate myself. :D

Archived