ReefCleaners.org

34g Solana Adventure

burnofvengeance

burnofvengeance

New content starts at post 23

Well I guess it's about time I start a new tank thread. I just recently upgraded to a 34g Solana I got from StanD. My previous tank, a 24g NC, I had up and running for over a year and have learned a lot with that and I decided it's about time that I upgrade.

20" Nova extreme pro
35-40 lbs of live rock
30ish lbs of live sand

Current inhabitants:
10 nass. snails
10 hermits
10 margarita snails
2 turbo snail
1 pom pom crab---from StanD's live rock
? pistols---came in StanD's live rock
1 Marble Seastar
2 Ninja/Spiny Star Astraea snails

IMG_1549.jpg

IMG_1550.jpg

IMG_1551.jpg

burnofvengeance
Wow, loving the scape! you got some nice rocks. Purple mushroom is cool! i got one big one in my tank too!

Thanks. I tried to do the best I could with the scape. The purple mushroom has some really great color and the camera just doesnt do it justice.

Well the algae seems like it's taking forever to clear up. I'm waiting on that to go away before I move everything over from my nanocube. But until that happens, here are the last few tank shots I got before tearing it down most of the way.

Picture140.jpg

Picture141.jpg

Picture142.jpg

Picture139.jpg

Picture125.jpg

NirvanaandTool

Both tanks look good especially the nanocube.

Love the scape in the Solana. Looks perfect. Makes me want more LR.

Can't wait to see when everything from your nanocube goes into the Solana.

burnofvengeance
Both tanks look good especially the nanocube.

Love the scape in the Solana. Looks perfect. Makes me want more LR.

Can't wait to see when everything from your nanocube goes into the Solana.

Thanks. I can't wait to make the transfer.

Caught this little guy roaming around.

IMG_1595.jpg

IMG_1554.jpg

burnofvengeance

I picked up a couple of new things for black friday last week.

Marble Seastar

IMG_1605.jpg

Ninja/Spiny Star Astraea Snails

IMG_1606.jpg

Also, I had my first DIY. I had a sapphire protein skimmer on my NC 24. After some research I realized that I'd be able to use the same skimmer on the Solana but I needed to build a small stand for it to sit on to raise the height, so I built one out of acrylic. I'm sure it's not as great as the ones that come from Sapphire but it works just the same. It sits almost flush.

IMG_1604.jpg

IMG_1607.jpg

IMG_1608.jpg

burnofvengeance

Well I brought everything over from my nano cube on wednesday. Fish are all doing fine but my coral is not looking so good. Not sure why. I think it's because of some algae issues I've been trying to deal with. The algae seems to cover the coral and thus, it doesn't want to open. I think it may be dinos, though I'm hoping for the best. Added chaeto so hopefully that will help. :unsure:

Also, I think one of my pistols may have gotten to my skunk cleaner. I found him upside down barely moving completely out of no where. Not sure what's up with that.

burnofvengeance

Picked up an RBTA today. The pictures don't really do it justice. It's a great rose color and is speckled with white/teal.

IMG_1618.jpg

IMG_1621.jpg

Here you can see him retreating into the rocks.

IMG_1625.jpg

IMG_1626.jpg

burnofvengeance
Congrats on the Solana upgrade!!!

That RBTA is beautiful!!! :bowdown:

B)

Thanks so much. I was very excited when I saw him in the lfs and couldn't pass him up. Hopefully he gets over the acclimation thing and decides to pop out of the rocks.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
burnofvengeance
tanks looking fantastic! what do you have on the tip of your return nozzel? i've been looking for something to put on the tip rather than the the stock end.

There is actually no tip on it. Its just an open round hole. I purchased the tank used and that's how it came.

ah thx for the reply, may have to try that, didn't know the tip section could be removed.

There is actually no tip on it. Its just an open round hole. I purchased the tank used and that's how it came.
burnofvengeance
what happened to your RBTA?

Well, I had a light burn out that actually melted the socket. So I had to contact current to get a replacement (which they sent me free) but it took a couple of weeks. With the decrease in lighting the rbta started to move but since then I've fixed the problem so hopefully he'll pop back out. He's still there just been pretty diminished and tucked away.

burnofvengeance

well my royal gramma died a couple weeks ago, not sure why though everything else has been fine. Anyone have some suggestions on a new fish? I can't decide what I want.

• 7 months later...
  • 5 months later...

Read about your problem royal gramma in the fish thread.

Hows this tank doing, is the RBTA and your red flame scallop still alive? I heard those two esp the scallop can be really difficult to keep, shame they are awesome!

What is your livestock like now. for my BC29 I wanted to have a Royal Gramma or blue damsel with a pair of clowns and a longnose hawkfish.

B)

• 2 years later...
burnofvengeance

Resurrecting this tank after I moved about a year ago to attend grad school. Used mostly dry rock and seeded it with a piece of live rock from the lfs and "live" sand. Going to give it some time to get the bacteria built back up. Excited to start this back up.

Lighting: 20" NEP

Rock: roughly 30-35 lbs

Sand: 20 lbs CaribSea Caribbean Live Sand Original Grade

Pumps: koralia 750, koralia nano, stock return pump

Chamber 1: stock skimmer, temp probe for reef keeper

Chamber 2: (not added yet but) SteveT's media basket with cpe and purigen

Chamber 3: stock return pump, heater, ato float/hose

image.jpg

Archived