Innovative Marine Aquariums

Matty's Tetra Half Moon 10G LED lit mixed reef

mattyice

Welp im officially back in it and i found this tank and couldnt help but buy it...Its Marineland/Tetra's 10G half moon tank, kit comes with a whisper 10i filter, heater, and 24 count LED light, and tank for $99...It was a great deal and im going to be using all of it so i cant complain about the price so here is the plan

Equipment List

-10G Half moon tank

-Aquaclear 70 modded for fuge

-Small HOB filter for the heater

-Maxijet 600 or 900 for flow

-12 LED retrofit with digital controller replicating the sun

-Filtration is also 3 lbs of live sand and about 7lbs of Marco Rock setup semi-bonzai style

Livestock

-2 Bangaii Cardinals

-Ranfordi Goby

-Orange Spot Filefish

-Green Bubble Anemone

-SPS frags

-Acan frags

-Ultra Small Maxima clam

Pics/Updates

Tank setup with stock light and rock work in and stuck together with epoxy

2009-11-16143305.jpg

Looks pretty good. That's going to be too many fish for such a small tank though. Maybe a single Bangaii and a single clown. But a RBTA as your showpiece will look deadly either way... can't wait to see how this turns out.

Looks pretty good. That's going to be too many fish for such a small tank though. Maybe a single Bangaii and a single clown. But a RBTA as your showpiece will look deadly either way... can't wait to see how this turns out.

all of the fish will be moved to a 130G cube in about 6-8 months...the randfordi is about an inch and so are the bangaii's and the last fish is just about 2" so i should be good for awhile

I do have a hint though...its one of the hardest fish to get eating frozen food, but its already eating frozen

filefish?!

yup its an orange spot filefish that is eating frozen mysis but will also have a few browned out SPS frags in there to munch on

6 fish in a 10g tank? Yikes!

yeah ive decided to knock it down to the 2 cardinals, the ranfordi, and the filefish

Well going today to get the bangaii's and maybe the filefish (i might wait another week to make sure he is fine at the LFS) also going to pick up an SPS frag for him to munch on just in case. Waiting for my koralia nano and aquaclear 70 to get here. Ordering the LED retrofit next week and then going to build and Powdercoat my own enclosure for the LED's and supplies, then going to work on a way to hang it and work on a permenant stand

Yeah, 12 is fine. 6x2 will work. 7 along the back with 5 up front could work well too if you want a little more light in the corners.

thanks evil i was thinking that rows of 5, 4, and 3 would do it but i would like to get more light spread on it and you know what you are talking about so 2x6 works for me

also on a side note, i have the filefish in the tank with an SPS frag and with feeding cyclops and he is eating the cyclops great...im going to try a little it of everything tonight to get him going on it and see what he eats

little update...

Orange Spot Filshfish is eating acrti-pods and brine, he is coloring up very nicely and also gaining some weight, trying to get a decent FTS right now

hey matty, im right behind you. just picked up the same tank as an early christmas/wedding present... curious about your lighting retrofit and if youve found any info about the stock lights. i live in hawaii so i cant have corals or anything other than fish really but just wondering what might be able to live under the stock leds... happy reefing.

• 1 month later...

I am new here and just wanted to say that I just picked this same tank up from Petsmart for $80, if anyone was interested in getting it.

• 5 weeks later...
  • 11 months later...

Im thinking of getting this tank as well but ive heard that the stock lights arent good for coral. I was planning on getting the Coralife Mini Aqualight T5 Dual Aquarium Lamp Fixture. Anyone have experience with this fixture in a small tank of this type?

Archived