Coral Vue Hydros

Jewbilee's Custom LED Pendant over my NC12

jewbilee

Well, after lots of research and plenty of messages to Evil and others, my LED build is finished.

Details:

6 Cree XR-E Cool Whites

6 Cree XR-E Royal Blues

2 1A Buckpucks with pots

2 24V 2.2A Power Supplies

2 80mm Case Fans

I had a friend with a drill press help me drill and tap the heatsink and then used thermal paste and screws with nylon washers to bolt the LED's in place. After soldering, everything fired right up. I build the stand out of dowel rods and PVC fitting. The trim is carpet reducer. I had the idea to use the reducer because of the slot already drilled out which ended up fitting some scrap plexi glass perfectly to use as my cover. I'm going to redo it to make it look a little cleaner but I'm very happy with the light.

Right now, I'm probably running it at about 20/30%. No SPS in my tank right now but that will change very soon!

IMG_1934.jpg

IMG_1935.jpg

IMG_1936.jpg

IMG_1937.jpg

IMG_1939.jpg

Very happy with the mod. The shimmer is incredible and the color is just amazing...

where did you get the power supplies?

:)

From Evil :)

They're great! Very compact which was my main concern with the MPJA ones and they supply just enough power for my build!

They were new equipment pulls. I bought them as a lot a few months ago. Couldn't even tell you what the brand is right now.

Thank everyone for the compliments on the fixture. I'm very happy with it and my tank has never looked better...

The one thing I don't like is the amount of evap I have now that I'm topless. There are benefits though. My husbandry of the tank started to slide recently, mostly because I wouldn't have to worry about topping off all of the time so I never opened the lid. This led to filter floss sitting in the tank for a week or two at a time while I slacked on doing water changes. Now that I have to top off every morning, I check the filter floss as well. I do wish I didn't have to top off as frequently but hey, maybe I'll experiment with an ATO!

minimonsterLED
From Evil :)

They're great! Very compact which was my main concern with the MPJA ones and they supply just enough power for my build!

AND ENCLOSED! :)

I ended up buying a wooden "charging station" from target for $15 for Potrans. Which looks elegant enough for my bar, where next to the tank. Your (evil) Power Supplies help complete a high end commercial look. Great job!

Inexpensive desktop style 24v power supplies are hard to come by. I have found lot sales of units like this in the past and jump on them when I can.

Inexpensive desktop style 24v power supplies are hard to come by. I have found lot sales of units like this in the past and jump on them when I can.

Evil, what do you mean by desktop style? Those look more like notebook adapters.

Archived