SaltCritters.com

LED's 12g NC and 10g

thelovablebum

I've been busy and haven't fully finished yet, but I owe you guys some pics. :happy:

First my Nano Cube 12

DSC01781-1.jpg

DSC02051-1.jpg

More pic can be found on my album LEDs 12g NC Not much going on in here except for one big happy anemone and a bunch of pests.

The heatsink is 8.5" by 5" Layout posted on Sketchup Here

Right now all of the LEDs are running off a single meanwell ELN-60-48P at maybe 80%, I haven't changed the stock fans yet but I did add a baffle to direct airflow.

Next up is my overdone 10g

DSC01775-1.jpg

DSC01682-1.jpg

More pic can be found on my album LEDs 10g Lots of SPS in here and but some are still recovering from a alk drop. :angry:

The heatsink is 8.5" by 12" Layout posted on Sketchup Here

This setup is using 2 meanwells ELN-60-48P

The third project I have been working on is for a frag tank, it will use the same type of step up as the 10g.

Parts

White Cree Q5 XR-E

Royal Blue Cree XR-E

Meanwells ELN-60-48P

8.5 x 12 Heatsink from Heatsinkusa.com

8.5 x 5 Heatsink from Heatsinkusa.com

screws and washers from www.mcmaster.com

Right now my dimming circuits consist of a common 12v wall wart running a LM317T to regulate the voltage to 10v and a 10k pot. Seems to be working out good so far, however I still need to clean up my circuits and get a project box.

The next thing to do is to get an arduino and start having some real fun. B)

I really like your NC12 build and have been considering this upgrade for some time know but have been reluctant due to my minimal experience with electrical applications. Are your meanwells dimmable with the Reefkeeper module? Would you change anything based on your results/experience?

Thanks

Wow. thats an awesome light setup you got there. ;) i wish i could do something like that but then again im only 15 and dont got a permanent job. :P

I really like your NC12 build and have been considering this upgrade for some time know but have been reluctant due to my minimal experience with electrical applications. Are your meanwells dimmable with the Reefkeeper module? Would you change anything based on your results/experience?

I am really happy with both projects. The NC12 never had working stock lights to compare it to, but you will notice a lot of shimmer and shadows from the rock. Light spreed looks good, there is more light down the middle then off to the sides but not like a spotlight. This might be more noticeable because of the amount of rock I have in there, as I do have a lot. One thing I still need to do is to get some new fans, I think the cardboard baffle helps out a lot.

I'm not sure about the Reefkeeper modules, right now my dimming circuit is analog and that seems to be working so far with the 3 drivers I have running.

With a project this small with only 12 LEDs it might be better going with 2 buckpucks, unless you can get the meanwells at a good price. I do have another driver to make the colors dim separately but have not hooked it up yet, I don't think I would change the overall color much even with two drivers.

wondering what optics your running on the ten gallon ? i'm getting ready to retro the pc i have and like your setup alot great job on it

Right now I'm not using any optics, for a 10g I don't think you will need them. The light is also hanging about 4" above the tank and even with the heatsink 12" long the spreed still looks good. I do think that 24 LEDs is a little overkill. If I cover half the LEDs the tank still looks good, but more shadows show near the ends which still look cool. My tank however is viewable from 3 sides and have more SPS in there then anything else.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 1 year later...

You don't have to get meanwells, you can get all kinds of drivers. But i would say that making it dimmable is a must in my opinion. You want to have the ability to 1) find the right color temp you like and 2) be able to dim so you can acclimate corals properly

Archived