Innovative Marine Aquariums

The ADA College Reef

ADAreef

So its finally time for my tank thread, I think. Here's what I've got already:

ADA 30C (~12" cube, 7.5 gallons)

Vortech MP10

Tunze 9002 Skimmer

DIY LED fixture (6 Royal Blues, 6 Cool Whites)- This was supposed to be mounted in an old Orbit fixture I had lying around but I abandoned that plan.

Mighty Mite RO/DI

I'm driving to pick up live rock from Richmond this weekend, as the stuff available to me here in Charlottesville is pretty poor. If anyone can recommend a good LFS there, let me know. This is one thing I really want to hand-pick to suit the tank.

The plan is to have a mixed reef. I'll be getting most of my stuff online or through the marketplace, and with limited space and funds I definitely need to make what I buy count. For fish, I'm thinking a pair of black ocellaris clowns.

Anyway, I should have some pictures up by the end of this weekend for you photo-hungry nano-reefers. For now, here are some shots of my freshwater planted tank from last year:

3078617291_35623e15bb_b.jpg

3079452924_67e06f246e_b.jpg

I agree! You have a good plan going on. And your planted tank is awesome. I was going to ask where you got water movement from, but I guess you probably don't need it.

I agree! You have a good plan going on. And your planted tank is awesome. I was going to ask where you got water movement from, but I guess you probably don't need it.

I had a cannister filter hooked up along with a CO2 diffuser, but I removed them for the photographs.

Hey i remember this tank from a PT.net thread a while ago. it was aweome! good luck with the reef. you basically have my dreams of a college setup too. the ADA with LED kicks ass :)

This going to be a great tank ! Idk about the clown pair though ? :(

I've seen it done in the same size tank.... in fact my father has this exact tank housing a pair of clowns comfortably. Should be fine as long as they're small, IMO.

I've seen it done in the same size tank.... in fact my father has this exact tank housing a pair of clowns comfortably. Should be fine as long as they're small, IMO.

i've got a pair of clowns and a yasha goby in my ada 45p and they do alright. right now my setup has a 10 gal sump but my old setup with no sump was a 10 gal aga and housed a pair of clowns and a yellow clown goby for 5-6 months. my nitrates always read almost zero and they seemed pretty happy (as if i knew...).

btw...that planted tank is siiiiiick! hoping to set one up in a year or so.

Nice plan. I have a pair of onyx in my 10G but I also have a 10G sump/fuge to help with the nitrates and stuff. Good luck and I will be following along.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

So this project never really got off the ground... I managed to blow out all of the royal blue LEDs and the two drivers on my fixture while fooling with the wiring. After that I sort of lost motivation and maybe spent a little too much money going out on the weekends rather than reefing. I'm thinking about ordering one of Evil's Par38 spotlights now, and setting this baby at the beginning of next semester with some nice liverock and ricordea.

Don't think I forgot!

2zoexwi.jpg

e16amc.jpg

Let the games begin!!!

Bring it on! Is that a Vortech in there?

EDIT: Noticed the vortech controller box back there. Whats the purpose of the enclosure? It looks very professional, whatever it is.

This is what my dad managed to do back home with his 30C:

post-44631-1259993445_thumb.jpg

WOOT planted tanks are sweet....I like you ADA stuff, thought you must have been in the Bay Area CA but I forgot that they have a little stronghold in Texas nicccccccccee. Your dad's tank is nice, love softies.

• 2 weeks later...

Update: 20K PAR38 bulb arrived for this tank. I got the 40 degree optics, but I may swap them for wider ones. I tried it out over my father's tank and it looks great.... extremely bright with an excellent shimmer effect.

• 1 month later...

So I got it all set up. I used about 8 lbs of Premium Aquatics nano live rock for the scape. I'm still working with the setting on my DSLR, but heres an iPhone shot

post-44631-1265936444_thumb.jpg

Archived