Top Shelf Aquatics

Nova Extreme 2x T5HO Into a Biocube Hood

James411

By pulling apart a Current USA Nova Extreme and adding it to my stock Biocube Hood.

I was able to add 36watts of T5HO to supplement stock lighting.

so thats 108watts of light combined total (Actinics, 10,000k's). Is that bright enough for Zoa's?

Let me know what you think.

I think I've been tricked somehow unless I receive the beer after replying. Here goes.

The stock light is bright enough for zoas on its own but the addition could give you better coloration and faster growth. You should be good.

Paleoreef103

Definitely. With the addition of the T5s you're good to go on LPS as well, probably down to the sand bed without problem and definitely zoas. Did you keep the reflectors for the T5s? It would actually be really awesome if you did the same thing again and had just 4X 18W T5s in there. Just a thought.

I have been wondering if trying something like this is feasible. I was looking for a DIY kit for it a while back. How's the heat in that hood?

Definitely. With the addition of the T5s you're good to go on LPS as well, probably down to the sand bed without problem and definitely zoas. Did you keep the reflectors for the T5s? It would actually be really awesome if you did the same thing again and had just 4X 18W T5s in there. Just a thought.

Why does everyone think that lps are high light? You can keep most any lps in the stock lighting for most AIO cubes.

So here's a link to my tank thread.. stock lighting.. SPS on the sandbed.. although browned out (it was brown when I got it) there is growth..

http://www.nano-reef.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=203662

Wow, i just looked at the FTS.. I need to post some updated shots :)

Your lighting is bright enough to keep some of the easier SPS and red monti cap.

Just a few you can keep:

German blue digitata

orange digi,

green digi

green birdsnest

Heat seems just fine,

The end caps for the T5's are just below the fans, so I am getting great heat dissipation from all the metal parts of the bulbs.....

I think I could have done a better job fitting them in, I had a bracket for an end cap snap on me, be after placing the light shield and screwing everything down, it sat nicely. I was very paranoid and wanted the water seal to close up properly and it snugged everything up nicely.

here is a picture of before the bulbs went in....

and here is a shot of the lights..

Great mod and thx for the pics. Just a few questions.

What size bio cube are you running? Did you have to remove any reflector to mount the lights or just cut holes for the t5 end caps to go into? what is the total length of the bulbs?

Thanks.

Im trying to find out if this would work for my 12gal jbj dx :)

Nice setup, why not just take out the PC's all together and just go T5HO all the way.

Great mod and thx for the pics. Just a few questions.

What size bio cube are you running? Did you have to remove any reflector to mount the lights or just cut holes for the t5 end caps to go into? what is the total length of the bulbs?

Thanks.

Im trying to find out if this would work for my 12gal jbj dx :)

Looks like a BC29, due to the access lid to the back chambers, and PC wattage which is the stock bulb is 16" l

I apologize for not stating how big the cube was.

Correct it is a 29.

You are also correct ccLansman, I only cut the vent grates for the fans on the reflector.

I wish I did not cut as much as I did out, I don't know where my head was last night at 1am when I did that. Sleeping probably.

the bulbs are 16" I believe.

I have been monitoring the temperature through out the day. 82 is my running max for PC and T5HO. I turn the A/C off while I go to work though, so that doesnt help.

I would like to go to all T5HO. Eventually with time, I like progressing with this hobby. I enjoy the DIY solutions.

Archived