Coral Vue Hydros

BC29 72W PC -> 72 LED Build

Bonsai

A couple months ago, I came across a BC29 Lid for virtually free (thanks Ando!) so I snatched it up. It sat idle for a while, until I slowly started converting it to an LED System, inspired heavily (okay, I blatantly copied) by C Jerome.

I won't run down a parts list, because several other BC29 LED Builds have already covered that, but I wanted to show off my photos and open this thread up to questions/comments for those going through the process and/or those who are interested in the LED conversion.

At this time, the hood isn't installed, but is being run in my office for testing ... all systems seem to be go, however.

bc29ledproject03.jpg

bc29ledproject02.jpg

bc29ledproject05.jpg

bc29ledproject04.jpg

bc29ledproject06.jpg

Big thanks to the members on this board who guided me through the build, and to a couple of my buddies who did a lot of the work with me (especially the one who did 99% of the soldering!).

yeah FTS when you install the hood :)

I'm trying to work out a time where I can setup my 1080i Sony HDCam on manual mode, and shoot the tank with the PC lighting, then do the switch, and shoot it with the LEDs. Then I could run a side-by-side comparison to show how ridiculously bright these LEDs really are :)

• 2 weeks later...

I'm wondering about this whole LED set up. I want to keep the hood for many reasons and LED produces less heat and no maintenance such as changing bulbs so I want to go down the same road. I'm still not sure how good they are in helping growth. With the LED lightings you have, would you say you have the same SPS, anemone, clam potentials as T5HO or MH?

I'm wondering about this whole LED set up. I want to keep the hood for many reasons and LED produces less heat and no maintenance such as changing bulbs so I want to go down the same road. I'm still not sure how good they are in helping growth. With the LED lightings you have, would you say you have the same SPS, anemone, clam potentials as T5HO or MH?

Right, that's the million-dollar-question. No one really knows for sure how SPS, for instance, does long-term under LEDs. I can tell you one thing though, this setup gives out a TON of light. Like, a ridiculous amount of light. I have it turned wayyy down too, and it's still a ton of light.

My tank temperature went from the 80.1 - 81.00 range with PC lighting to 77.7 - 78.1 degrees with the LEDs.

... and I never have to change a light bulb again :D

How much did the LED DIY system cost? Where did you buy the parts? From what I know you need to buy different parts from different companies?

How much did the LED DIY system cost? Where did you buy the parts? From what I know you need to buy different parts from different companies?

You'll want to look at C Jerome's thread for complete parts details.

• 5 weeks later...

Have I see that hood somewhere else?

Looks good, I like how you put the pots in the place of the old switches good thinking. Mine are just there with nothing connected.

Jerome

Bonsai,

How did you go about the heatsink preparation for the LEDs, did you use a drill press/hand tap etc?

I used ... friends :P

A friend of mine at work has a drill press, so I bought a couple sets up screws & taps and asked nicely if he'd work on my heatsink. Then I shipped it off to EvilC66, who lives in the same state as I do, and he was able to mill out the fins on the backside so that I could countersink the 120mm fan.

Have I see that hood somewhere else?

Looks good, I like how you put the pots in the place of the old switches good thinking. Mine are just there with nothing connected.

Jerome

Thanks. I would have copied yours exactly, but I didn't want my 2 year old and 5 year old seeing that there are obviously knobs on the hood. They would end up climbing on the couch and playing with the knobs all day (read: killing corals)

I have to admit I like to play with the knobs some myself. Its pretty cool to tun the white down and look at it with just the blue, the weird colors just pop so much. Have you noticed the colors under the blue light looking even brighter now than under the PC. I feel like mine really jump even just under the moon light now. Its almost like glow in the dark starts on the ceiling that charge up all day and then glow.

Do you happen to have the specifications for milling and cutting to accomodate the rear fans? I think I found a place to do it for me locally.

I just found the center-point of the heatsink by using diagonal lines, then I placed the fan on top of the center, lining it up, and marked the fins to remove with a ruler.

EvilC66 removed the fins down to the base. Works great.

• 4 months later...

Bonsai,

How did you attach the heat sink to the hood?

I'm getting ready to bite the bullet and do this conversion as well after seeing CJerome's and your tank swapped over.

Bonsai,

How did you attach the heat sink to the hood?

I'm getting ready to bite the bullet and do this conversion as well after seeing CJerome's and your tank swapped over.

It's difficult to see in my photo, but there are two aluminum "bars" that attach to the screw posts in the hood - and the heat sink is screwed into those bars.

Check out CJerome's thread, I got the idea from him ... I think he has a pic of the setup.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived