Pod Your Reef

QueenoftheReefs Red Sea Max

QueenOfTheReef

QueenOfTheReef

Hello All! I'm relatively new to this site and just wanted to take a minute to introduce myself & my reef. I've been reefing for a little over two years. My starter tank, and the one that I maintained up until 1 week ago, was a 37 gallon tall. However, in anticipation of a move from Iowa to Chicago, I purchased a Red Sea Max. This thread will chronicle my adventure in moving an established reef over 200 miles, and hopefully show the reef as it evolves, as there are many corals out there that I would still like to obtain. :) Enjoy, and PLEASE feel free to offer feedback. I'm always looking to learn.

To start things off, here are some pictures of my system before the move.

php2hKAovPM.jpg

phpakR9ojPM.jpg

And these are some pictures of my new Red Sea Max 130D, before placing any corals.

phpRppMUnPM.jpg

Here's a shot of the substrate and the aragocrete background.

phpoQIj8LPM.jpg

And here's the max right after adding water. A bit clowdy I think. :)

Welcome to the RSM family! And this is a good start, can't wait to see how it evolves considering your other tank!

QueenOfTheReef
Welcome to the RSM family! And this is a good start, can't wait to see how it evolves considering your other tank!

Thanks! I've actually transferred all of my corals into the RSM now. I was able to set it up and let it run for about three weeks first, then I took the plunge. My levels still aren't great by any means, but the corals seem to be doing okay. I'll post some pics soon. :D

QueenOfTheReef

Yep...I was going for a fairly deep sand bed. Right now as far as fish go I only have a purple firefish and a yellow watchman. But my next additions will hopefully be a bluespot jaw fish and a yashia with a pistol. I wanted lots of sand for those guys to burrow.

Thanks for adding me to the list! :P

wow that is a lot of sand in the one pic! Good start :welcome:

You are added on the RSM index

nkUnleashed
Yep...I was going for a fairly deep sand bed. Right now as far as fish go I only have a purple firefish and a yellow watchman. But my next additions will hopefully be a bluespot jaw fish and a yashia with a pistol. I wanted lots of sand for those guys to burrow.

Thanks for adding me to the list! :P

Your old tank looks amazing. Good luck and welcome to the RSM club. I just got one a few weeks ago too. I'll be watching this thread!

QueenOfTheReef

So I transferred the corals to my RSM nine days ago, and I think it's safe to say at this point that the move was pretty successful. Most of my corals look really good, and my two fish are doing great.

I did have one very sad loss though. This acro was grown out from a tiny frag. When I got to my new apartment in Chicago the bag that I had placed the coral in was empty. It had been double bagged, but unfortunately I didn't notice that the bags must have been pierced and drained out on the way. I put the coral in my tank anyway, but a day later it was clearly dead. RIP purple acro...luckily a small frag lives on in my husband's tank.

phpPSRoGDPM.jpg

Another coral that I was initially worried about was my duncan. I grew it from four heads to twenty-nine. I think a couple of the heads definitely have some dead tissue post move, but otherwise it looks good. I think it'll hang in there.

I'm off to take some full tank shots and coral close-ups of the new tank now. Hopefully those will be up later. :)

QueenOfTheReef

All right...here are the pics I have so far.

Here's the first full tank shot. Definitely a work in progress, and any feedback would be greatly appreciated.

IMG_0412.jpg

My happy fish: the yellow watchman thinks he's king of the reef. In my last tank he was very shy, but now he gets all over the place.

IMG_0406.jpg

phpMDsFS8PM.jpg

And here are a couple coral shots.

phpy4msdvPM.jpg

phpxBOgVePM.jpg

phpf4UKOePM.jpg

QueenOfTheReef

I need help from all of you RSM owners out there. I've noticed a nasty skum building on the surface of my water. The surface skimmer is completely ineffective at removing this. My skimmer is running, and actually working better than I expected from many things I've read, but this skummy layer is still there. Does anyone else have this problem? Any suggestions?

• 1 month later...
QueenOfTheReef

My tank has changed so much in the past couple of months...I wanted to share all of the excitement. Since long before I ever got into the hobby, I wanted to keep sea horses. With my new red sea max, this seemed like a good time to give it a try. My horses are named Sookie and Bill...and they are healthy, active, fabulous little fish!!

The tank has had to change a lot in order to make their home safe-no more elegence coral, and no more clams with the potential to snap shut on little tails. Because of all of these changes, though, I've been encouraged to do more research and try corals I hadn't thought of before. It's been so much fun!

Hope you all enjoy the pics. As always, any suggestions are always appreciated. :)

My two little horses...Sookie and Bill.

IMG_0617.jpg

This is Oliver. He's a pink barred goby.

IMG_0605.jpg

Acans

IMG_0613.jpg

More Acans

IMG_0609-2.jpg

My hilarious starry blenny-Orion. His mouth is always open and he gets SO excited about picking algae from the rockwork.

IMG_0633.jpg

A full tank shot from the front. Work in progress.

IMG_0630.jpg

That's all for now...thanks for looking. :P

• 4 years later...

Archived