Coral Vue Hydros

20L. AIO. foam wall.

glennr1978

So far my stock list consists of:

Fish

- pink streaked wrasse

- yellow coris wrasse

-pair of true percs (I've had them for well over 4 years now)

CUC

-5 scarlet red leg hermits

-7 astrea snails

-5 blue leg hermits

-2 emerald crabs

Corals

SPS

- Tyree Ponape birdsnest

- Tyree rainbow monti

- Tyree Idaho Grape monti

- ORA blue mille

- ORA Red Planet

- ORA Birds of Paradise

- Orange monti

- Green w/ purple rim monti

- Purple monti

- Yellow w/ purple polyps encrusting monti (forgot the name)

- Tubbs purple polyp birdsnest

- Yellow Porites

- GCR Tri color acro

- red mille?

- Cali Tort

Z's & P's

- Nuclear Greens

- Fire & Ice

- Eye of Rah

- Kedds Redds

- other various unknown zoas

LPS

- Kryptonite candycanes

- Frogspawn

- GCR super red acans

Softies

- ORA toadstool leather

- red mushrooms

- blue mushrooms

- various rics (about 30 of them)

Equipment

- 30" sundail (2x's ati blue plus, ati aquablue special, uvl aquasun)

- Tunze 9002

- Mp10

- Mj900 (return pump)

- ATO (old one from topoff.com) w/ aqualifter

- ACJR

- BRS 1.1ml per minute dosing pump (dosing alk)

- Bubble Magus triple doser (automated wc's and Ca dosing)

- Stealth 50w heater

20gFTSOctober.jpg

I'm getting rid of my 40g and downsizing to a much easier to keep syste. I decided to DIY an AIO from my old 20L frag tank. This tank will be used to house my pair of percs, a sixline, a bunch of softies, a little bit of SPS, and maybe a couple LPS......maybe. Enough talk, on with the pics.

I cut up some acrylic an built the filtration compartments. From left to right- return chamber, media rack chamber (media rack will include 3 tiers. One for carbon and gfo, one for chaeto, and one for filter floss), skimmer chamber. I haven't decided definitively whether or not I will run a skimmer on this tank. If I do (and I likely will), it will be a Tunze 9002, which will fit perfectly.

DSC03741.jpg

Then I used a ton of silicone to attach some eggcrate in the places that I wanted to cover with foam for the rockwall.

DSC03748.jpg

DSC03749.jpg

Half way done with the foam rockwall. I used "GreatStuff", you can get it at home depot for about 5 bucks. I also pushed pieces of LR rubble into the foam and sprinkled sand all over it while it was curing.

DSC03751.jpg

Left side of the tank. I left a little bit of the wall exposed to create an illusion of depth. With the way I've arranged the LR in the tank, and the way I plan to place corals, this should work out very well.

DSC03754.jpg

All foamed up!

DSC03753.jpg

We have water!

DSC03887.jpg

Plate coral.

DSC03888.jpg

Everything is working perfectly so far.

DSC03962.jpg

Plenty of flow on the left side of the tank which is where the SPS will be. Slower flow on the right side that will be covered in rics, shrooms, zoos, clove polyps, etc...

DSC03955.jpg

I took ~6 lbs of LR from my 40g to seed this tank. I tried to make a little cave that extends outward. Here's what I came up with.

DSC03984.jpg

FTS.

DSC03961.jpg

That's what I've got so far. The equipment that I'm using / plan to use are an MJ900, 2x's 24w T5's on an Icecap 430, a steath 100w (I think) heater, and a Tunze 9002.

• Replies 282
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Got tired of the SPS?

This is exciting! Will follow, i'm a huge rockwall hater, but you did a good job actually, once it covered in stuff it'll be awesome looking!

Got tired of the SPS?

Kinda. Actually I'm tired of the dosing demand that all of the SPS require. That, and I wanted an easier to keep system so that I would have more time for other things. Here's a pic of what goes into my tank on a daily basis (except for the Lugols, which doesn't get dosed daily. and the Tigger pod container is where I keep the vodka for the tank)

DSC03986.jpg

It's to the point that I wonder if I own the tank, or the tank owns me?

YES!!!!!!!!!!

that. is. AWESOME!!!! :D

thanks.

This is exciting! Will follow, i'm a huge rockwall hater, but you did a good job actually, once it covered in stuff it'll be awesome looking!

Thanks. If everything goes as planned it should end up looking decent.

Rock wall looks good.. Nice work. That's a super nice plate coral you got there as well. haha..

Thanks. The rock wall was pretty easy to build actually. However, if any of you decide to try it I highly recommend using gloves. "Great Stuff" is the stickiest substance known to man.

thanks! how ya been man?

Busy as a mofo. Seriously though, top notch on the rockwork. Looks like you should have kept that 9002 huh? ;)

Busy as a mofo. Seriously though, top notch on the rockwork. Looks like you should have kept that 9002 huh? ;)

Same here. That's a big part of the reason why I'm getting rid of my 40, I'm just too busy. Yeah I probably should've kept the skimmer, oh well.

My 40 will be gone by next weekend. I also just ordered an ATO for the 90g that hooks directly to my RO unit so no more top-offs for me........ever. Still need to order a few things but so far everything is just kind of taking care of itself. I like that in a tank :P Good luck with the 20g, I think you'll find it a lot easier to get back into it with a new tank.

pismo_reefer

soooo....im excited about this tank.

its kinda funny to me that we're all going with much simpler tanks.....i bet these will look better than the complicated ones ever did.....we rock.

I've almost got my lighting for this tank done. I have the ballast, ordered a couple of SLR's, but still need bulbs. I'm still undecided on what combo to run......

Thanks guys! I'm pretty happy with how the wall has turned out. I wish I could get a decent pic that shows how much depth is created by the angled wall and the way the LR sits. Unfortunately I dropped my camera and I can't get close up pics. Hopefully once I finish the canopy and get the lights installed I will be able to get some better pics.

I've almost got my lighting for this tank done. I have the ballast, ordered a couple of SLR's, but still need bulbs. I'm still undecided on what combo to run......

Take your pick out of the bulbs from my 20 fixture. Even have the stock bulbs.

But wait...don't ya have the same thing? Not using the 4x...? Going with a ...scroll up....2x..ok.

Well, if you need em...I got em.

Take your pick out of the bulbs from my 20 fixture. Even have the stock bulbs.

But wait...don't ya have the same thing? Not using the 4x...? Going with a ...scroll up....2x..ok.

Well, if you need em...I got em.

I was actually going to ask you if you wanted to sell a couple bulbs. I'll give you a call tomorrow.

I was actually going to ask you if you wanted to sell a couple bulbs

Nig..please.....really?

Perhaps you can sell me one of your aqualifter dosing thingies, provided you got a spare.

bulbs are yours dude...you've hooked me up PLENTY.

Going to bed.

Snapped a couple of pics that turned out a little better.

DSC04000.jpg

DSC04003.jpg

DSC04006.jpg

DSC04007.jpg

In addition to the LR I've added I'm also dosing Microbak7 daily and dropping in a few fish food pellets every couple of days to move things along. Still no signs of a cycle, but then again, I haven't tested for anything yet either.

That looks really good.

I have a small ORA green toadstool frag ya can have once everything settles in.

Might have some zoas and a shroom or two as well, just let me know.

As for the aqualifter...I'm over it.

We'll have to compare "spare parts" and see what happens.

Been over to GCR yet?

Gimme a call whenever -

That looks really good.

I have a small ORA green toadstool frag ya can have once everything settles in.

Might have some zoas and a shroom or two as well, just let me know.

As for the aqualifter...I'm over it.

We'll have to compare "spare parts" and see what happens.

Gimme a call whenever -

Sh!t, I forgot about the aqualifter, as you already know I had a hectic day today. I've got a spare aqualifter if you need it. I'll gladly accept the offer on the frags once the tank is ready, thanks D. Are you working tonight?

Archived