Innovative Marine Aquariums

July 2009 - Stoney Waters

Christopher Marks

Christopher Marks

For July we're featuring Stoney Waters and his 40 gallon nano reef!

featuredreef.jpg

Click the picture above to check out his reef profile! You can find Stoney Water's tank journal here in our Members Aquariums forum. Feel free to post any comments or questions you may have for Stoney, and he'll try his best to answer them.

• 2 weeks later...
Congratulations!

That is real nice work! i think most reefers concentrate on the tank and i believe the surroundings and controls are almost as important!. I love the controller box and how neat everything is. That is one of the best setups i've ever seen.

Perhaps Im confused, but was this thread re-created anywhere else but here?

Anyway, Congratulations! I was wondering if you could talk a little about your electrical box. It looks nice and clean and well thought out. Could you explain it a bit more?

stoney waters

Yeah, now I have the shortest profile thread ever.

I also have a similar thread on "BNARC" my local reef club.

Anyway, Congratulations! I was wondering if you could talk a little about your electrical box. It looks nice and clean and well thought out. Could you explain it a bit more?

The box itself is a fiberglass electrical enclosure bought on ebay. There are four sets of outlets that are individually controlled by the lighted rockers below. This allows me to turn off power to selected equipment only. There is also a spring wound timer that is connected to the fourth set of outlets. I use this to shut off the main pumps for feeding for up to an hour then restart automatically. The fifth set of outlets is controlled by one of the intermatic electronic timers. I have my refugium light and pump plugged into this set. The other three timers control power to each of the halides and the pair of t-5 actinics. My timing schedule represents a dawn to dusk effect.

IMG_1957.jpg

The lower right corner is where the controls for the ATO are located.

IMG_1935-1.jpg

IMG_1934-1.jpg

Inside contains all the ballast for the lighting, the relays for the ATO and some transformers for the cooling fans.

IMG_1942.jpg

The control box is connected to the pendant by a 14 wire multi-conductor with disconnect.

b989dc92.jpg

Everything has preformed flawlessly and I am pleased with the way it turned out. The only thing I would have done differently is I would have put the timers on top and the outlets underneath.

Hope this explanation helps and thanks to everyone again.

• 2 weeks later...

Durso and closed loop.

IMG_1621.jpg

Great Tank and Thread! Well deserving of TOTM. I have been researching setting up my 40g Br for several months and feel like I hit the motherlode with this thread.

Where did you get the black PVC fittings and black hose. Also...what type of dividers did you use for the refugium?

stoney waters

Its been so long but I believe I bought the black hose at HD and I ordered the fittings from Savko plastics. The dividers for the refugium are made of blue ABS, the rest of the baffles in the sump are glass.

Really impressive build out, great job. That neon green merulina is really cool too. wouldn't mind a frag of that one ;) .

Archived