Cultivated Reef

MedRed is a Nub!

MedRed

Ok... So I've been around the block for several years with FW. I currently have 7 FW tanks that are all high tech with high light and pressurized co2. I've always been about rare nano fish, apistos, african rift lake cichlids, african dwarf riverine cichlids, shrimp, and difficult plants. 3 of my tanks run Metal Halide. I even have a 40 gallon tank with a 250 watt MH over it that is totally under control. That being said... a SW reef intimidates me! Just picked up a new library of books earlier today to read.

35k1kiu.jpg

I have decided on a 34g Solana for my first tank. The less stuff I have to figure out how to integrate the better!. Please don't talk me out of it. lol. I found a site selling the tank and stand for $424. I think that's the best deal I've seen. Anyone know of a better price anywhere? I already have a 150 watt 20" sunpod that's sitting idle. I plan on using an Aqua Medic Spacelight 250w HQI + T5 when it's released. I use Aquamedic's on my 3 FW tanks and I love how light weight the fixtures for are for hanging and that they have a nice external ballast. The sunpod I have is a heavy son of a gun.

For the Solana I will:

Add a chiller... need to know what size and what are good brands.

Add a better Auto top off... not sure what to get and how to integrate it.

Add Koralia(s)... not sure how many, what size, or what brand... wanting to keep the flow up but not have them look too conspicuous in the tank.

Consider upgrading the Skimmer... I've heard about the Sapphire and the Tunze

Consider turning a chamber into a refugium... Not sure how to go about doing this ( I just learned what cheato was)

My ultimate goal with this tank is to have it well stocked with softies. I may want to add a few hard corals way down the road. I do have to specific things I'd like:

1) Yellow Head Jawfish. This will require a deeper substrate. I've notice a lot of the tanks here don't have very deep substrates.

2) An anemone and a hosting clown fish. I have heard anemones are finicky and difficult to keep. Must... have... nemo!

Questions I have:

How do you position the tank so that you can get to the chambers? Do I need to leave a lot of space between it and the wall? Or do I access everything from the sides? For instance If i decide to turn a chamber into a refugium after It's set up... how do I go about seeing what I'm doing.

Why do I not see macroalgae incorporated in most of the reef tanks? I find that kind of odd.

You can thank foofooree for bringing me over to the dark side. I've been threatening to leap for years. He pushed me over the edge with no remorse.

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Welcome to NR!

I think that you'll will find it difficult to stick with softies.

People don't integrate a lot of macro algae into their tanks because it takes up valuable real estate that could be occupied by corals!

You should pick up a 10gal aga and slap that sunpod over it and call it a day.

You are so ready for this hobby, it will be a piece of cake for you.. then you will say to yourself... "all these years I wasted with FW" :P

Welcome to NR!

I think that you'll will find it difficult to stick with softies.

People don't integrate a lot of macro algae into their tanks because it takes up valuable real estate that could be occupied by corals!

You should pick up a 10gal aga and slap that sunpod over it and call it a day.

I just know 10 gallons wouldn't be enough space! I guess that could have been a great idea for getting started and then transferring everything over to a larger tank. That is a thought.

You are so ready for this hobby, it will be a piece of cake for you.. then you will say to yourself... "all these years I wasted with FW" :P

Thanks for the encouragement Kraylen! I'm anxious and apprehensive at the same time.

Hi MedRed. Welcome to the dark side. ;)

Hey I know you! lol.

So I decided to stop by one of the LFS today and plaster my face to glass to check out the fish they had. I happen to mention to the owner that I was ordering a Solana. He asked me why I didn't order it through him. I told him the price I found ($424) was pretty cheap and I didn't think he could match it. He took a look and said he could. He has to call tomorrow and see if he can get the tank. If he can, I will get the tank Thursday (as opposed to 2-6 Business days) and save $32 on shipping. Score!

on another note. The website I was going to order the tank from has some really odd pricing. The complete setup is $899 ($100 more than the average price I've found). They sell the tank and stand as a combo for $689. Both of those prices are inflated... however, if you add the tank and stand separately, the total is $424 which is the cheapest price I've found. Go figure.

lakshwadeep

Coralline is a macroalgae, and often calcareous algae is in every tank. Many people have macroalgae, but only in refugiums (like chaetomorpha). In a way, everyone with photosynthetic corals has algae in the form of zooxanthellae. Horror stories like caulerpa or bubble algae outbreaks are probably the biggest fears.

For the flow, if you're willing to shell out the cash, a vortech mp40w would be inconspicuous and powerful.

Coralline is a macroalgae, and often calcareous algae is in every tank. Many people have macroalgae, but only in refugiums (like chaetomorpha). In a way, everyone with photosynthetic corals has algae in the form of zooxanthellae. Horror stories like caulerpa or bubble algae outbreaks are probably the biggest fears.

For the flow, if you're willing to shell out the cash, a vortech mp40w would be inconspicuous and powerful.

Thanks lakshwadeep

Would it be possible to hide koralias behind the rock work? My LFS did mention drilling the tank to add a closed loop system to hide everything. I don't know if a Solana can be drilled or if I'm even up for it.

Coming from high tech fresh... I'm very used to having the glass and everything in the tank looking clean. As of now, i'm not a fan of coralline algae all over the glass and equipment in the tank. I understand I will be scraping algae regularly. I'm considering a facade on the back like masterbuilder's tank to make it look better. Is there anything at all that can be done to keep the koralias new looking?

Giving coralline encrusted equipment a soak for a few hours in white vinegar and water will remove pretty much anything, esp. if you also scrub it with a toothbrush.

Won't take much scrubbing, it'll come off easily.

Good choice on the Solana.

Personally, I like macroalgae in my tank.

Most reefers have it fixed in their heads that a refugium is the place for macroalgae.

I'd love to start a display refugium myself, but that's another topic...

Oh, and :welcome:

Giving coralline encrusted equipment a soak for a few hours in white vinegar and water will remove pretty much anything, esp. if you also scrub it with a toothbrush.

Won't take much scrubbing, it'll come off easily.

Good choice on the Solana.

Personally, I like macroalgae in my tank.

Most reefers have it fixed in their heads that a refugium is the place for macroalgae.

I'd love to start a display refugium myself, but that's another topic...

Oh, and :welcome:

Thank you Weetabix7,

That's good to know. How are Koralias affixed to the glass? Are they removable? I really would like to add a little green macroalgae... but everyone keeps telling me "don't do it." I've been told once you have it in the tank, you can't get it out. A show refugium sounds like a great idea. In the brief moment of you mentioning thatI had a thought. I have a sturdy armoire right next to where the tank is that currently houses a 5.5 gallon rimless ADA tank with a 27 watt PC fixture on top of it. would it be possible turn that into a refugium? how would I go about doing that? Wow, I'm getting excited now! lol.

I'm working on a mixed planted reef system right now, and from what I can tell part of the reason that people don't make a lot of use of macros is partially because of their ability to go 'sexual' when nutrients get low or something is missing or changes (like low iron, or a change in the photoperiod).

If you're interested, www.marineplantedtanks.com is a great resource for something like this. It's been a valuable resource in my planning, along with this site.

MedRed head over to reefcleaners.org. John is a great guy to deal with and he will win you over to the macro in the display team. My only issue is a fell in love with a lawnmower blenny so my display only has some calcerous macros and codium but I have always had some macro in my display, starting back in August 2004. Great place for my fish to hunt for food.

Welcome

I'm working on a mixed planted reef system right now, and from what I can tell part of the reason that people don't make a lot of use of macros is partially because of their ability to go 'sexual' when nutrients get low or something is missing or changes (like low iron, or a change in the photoperiod).

Do you have a thread for it already? Very interested in checking it out.

If you're interested, www.marineplantedtanks.com is a great resource for something like this. It's been a valuable resource in my planning, along with this site.

I will definitely head over there. I hope there are lots of pics!

MedRed head over to reefcleaners.org. John is a great guy to deal with and he will win you over to the macro in the display team. My only issue is a fell in love with a lawnmower blenny so my display only has some calcerous macros and codium but I have always had some macro in my display, starting back in August 2004. Great place for my fish to hunt for food.

Welcome

Nice, I saw reefcleaners.org mentioned quite a few times for selecting a customized CuC. Sounds like a good place to check out.

another TPTer checking in! Same name as TPT over there. Can't wait to see it started up

omg tpt gone salty up in the house! omgomgomg

(btw its chris127 from tpt)

Ha ha... Thanks for the warm welcome. TPT for life! I just broke down one of my planted tanks today to make room for this tank... and now i'm debating changing my 5.5g ADA into a refugium. SW or FW? Who will win? Stay tuned!

Walking_Target

Heya Medred, there's alot of faces from PlantedTank poping up in here... Haagenize should be around shortly....

Trust me, purple Coraline is a good thing. It'll help encrust your rock and keep some of the nasty algaes in check (hair algae and so forth has a hard time growing on rocks covered in coraline)

Also, never intentionally introduce the green stuff... it looks like crap under 14k or 20k MH or actinics. Pretty much like a Green Spot outbreak in a planted tank.

the only other thing i can say... is all the books you got to read? look for the name 'Barons' as the publisher on them. If any were brought out by Barons Books, take the info in them with a hefty 150g size pail of salt.

Heya Medred, there's alot of faces from PlantedTank poping up in here...

Oh hey :D

You can thank racechase (chris127) for getting me hooked on reefs, then I got you hooked on 'em :P

I think that macclellan might have helped inspire racechase, but I'm not sure.

lol.

Heya Medred, there's alot of faces from PlantedTank poping up in here... Haagenize should be around shortly....

Trust me, purple Coraline is a good thing. It'll help encrust your rock and keep some of the nasty algaes in check (hair algae and so forth has a hard time growing on rocks covered in coraline)

Also, never intentionally introduce the green stuff... it looks like crap under 14k or 20k MH or actinics. Pretty much like a Green Spot outbreak in a planted tank.

the only other thing i can say... is all the books you got to read? look for the name 'Barons' as the publisher on them. If any were brought out by Barons Books, take the info in them with a hefty 150g size pail of salt.

All of the books are TFH except for Saltwater Aquarium Models, which is Howell Book House. I can relate to a GSA outbreak. That makes sense now. lol.

You can thank racechase (chris127) for getting me hooked on reefs, then I got you hooked on 'em :P

lol.

I need to follow this chain back to the source. Someone is getting a bill in the mail.

I fell in love with the tail spot blenny at the LFS today. Just googled some info on them.

Ecsenius%20stigmatura.JPG

Would he be safe to keep with a jawfish? I'm thinking a yellow headed or ideally a blue spotted jawfish.

I also really liked the arrow crab they had. I've read it can be semi aggressive towards other inverts. Any tankmates that shouldn't be put in with an arrow crab?

I addition to the above questions... My tank won't be arriving until next week. I plan on letting it cycle throughout the month of June as I have a lot of travel from the middle of the month to the end with very little time home. That being said... should I cycle with the lights on or off?

mini m = refugium? :huh:

more like = epic fail

speaking from experience, HOB/ to the side fuges are not that great. mine has overflowed on me twice and waking up at 3 in the morning to soak up 2 gallons of water, mix up more water, get electrocuted twice in the process, and fall asleep in said wet carpet is not my definition of a good night. (you can read about the whole experience in my journal, although i didnt mention the second overflow where nothing good like dual electrocutions happened) if i were you, i'd plumb the SOB to a sump underneath or get an AIO (yes, im being hypocritical to what i posted in TPT :) )

but other than that softie saltwater tanks are a breeze. its a simple and colorful alternative to high tech green growing machines.

lol.

tehe :P my own angst towards anything freshwater added the salt to the water, but mac didnt deter me ;)

I addition to the above questions... My tank won't be arriving until next week. I plan on letting it cycle throughout the month of June as I have a lot of travel from the middle of the month to the end with very little time home. That being said... should I cycle with the lights on or off?

depends. if you wanna keep the macro/coraline alive, turn the lights on for a bit. and its always fun to look at hitch hickers :) (unless youre seeding base rock which has got to be BORING)

You're resident n00b

btw you're should be your. unless you're referring to yourself in the third person. which in that case you're correct. :lol:

holy blazing balls of gramatical fire. omgomgomg

last thing i swear, i like evil monkey :happydance:

mini m = refugium? :huh:

more like = epic fail

speaking from experience, HOB/ to the side fuges are not that great. mine has overflowed on me twice and waking up at 3 in the morning to soak up 2 gallons of water, mix up more water, get electrocuted twice in the process, and fall asleep in said wet carpet is not my definition of a good night. (you can read about the whole experience in my journal, although i didnt mention the second overflow where nothing good like dual electrocutions happened) if i were you, i'd plumb the SOB to a sump underneath or get an AIO (yes, im being hypocritical to what i posted in TPT :) )

what a bummer. I was hoping to have a display refugium with macroalgae. What about drilling? Can an ADA tank be drilled?

btw you're should be your. unless you're referring to yourself in the third person. which in that case you're correct. :lol:

holy blazing balls of gramatical fire. omgomgomg

last thing i swear, i like evil monkey :happydance:

Lol i didn't realize I did that. My fingers type independent of my brain sometimes.

Archived