Cultivated Reef

New 2.5AGA

ulver982

I just set this tank up earlier this week. I had a 3 gallon in the past, but had to take it down due to time. Now that I have more time, I'm ready to tackle another pico reef. So far I have about 3.5 lbs of live rock, an aquaclear 20 and a Coralife mini aqualight. I'm not really diggin the amount light right now, so I just ordered a 12" 36watt aqualight. I know I'll have to do some modification to get that to fit the tank cuz of its width.

What you see on the top left is a modded xbox 360 intercooler with 3 fans. It fits perfectly on the width of the tank and helps keep the light cool.

I also ordered an iceprobe with controller to keep the tank at a stable 78. Right now it gets up to about 82+. Yesterday we had a 95 degree day, and the tank got up to 91! I rather not do an open top due to the amount of evaporation. I had to pull off the light and lid off yesterday to cool the tank, but of course, lost a lot of water doing so.

Anywho..here it is so far...

DSCF0557.jpg

Here is my fan :)

DSCF0559.jpg

I'll try and post more pics once I get the iceprobe and new light.

I really like posting to myself! Hope you like that iceprobe nate.

Well, I received my 12" 36watt Coralife Aqualight today, and just as I suspected, I knew I was going to have some issues getting that on the tank. After some messing around, I was able to mount the ballast on top of the aqualight, and now the lights fit perfect over the tank. Here's a couple of pics...

DSCF0569.jpg

DSCF0574.jpg

sweet! mounting legs for the light not an option?

I got the mounting legs, and that was not an option, especially with my iceprobe in the way. The length is perfect, it's the width that's the problem. The width is exactly the same as the tank, so of course the filters are in the way. Anyone wanna buy some black mounting legs??

I had some issues setting the temp, I have the tom digital thermometer and out of curiousity, I put in my Coralife digital thermometer, and that was reading a completely different temp, off like -4 degrees. So I didn't know which one was right, so I got an old school glass one, and that is closer to my tom thermometer. I dumped Coralife thermometer, plus I've read stories on here on how inaccurate those things are. So now I got my temp set to where I want it.

I just got a couple of hermit crabs in there now, and just letting the tank do its thing.

Here's a pic looking in the back of tank...

DSCF0582.jpg

So far so good...got some corals just recently...

DSCF0607.jpg

DSCF0605.jpg

DSCF0606.jpg

DSCF0604.jpg

I also have a little piece of xenia that isn't pictured, can't wait for that to start growing.

Archived