Innovative Marine Aquariums

Dank's Biocube 8

danktank

Today when I arrived home from school i was a very nice box on my front porch, once i say the size of the box i was instantly excited. It contained my new(semi-new) Biocube 8! I gto this tank to replace the 10 gal in my room because I did a cruddy job DIYing it into an AIO.

INHABITANTS

1-2" sand bed of arag-alive

~3 lbs of LR (need more, have more is cycling in a bucket)

INVERTS / CUC

5 ish nassarius

4 Margaritas

2-3 Astrae Snails

3Sexy Shrimp (lotte, Nora, Henry)

CORALS

Briareum sp

Zoanthus sp.

Favites spp.

Ricordea yuma

Euphyllia Divisa

Caulastrea curvata

Fungia repanda

Welsophylia Radiata

Lobophyllia hemprichii

Blastomusa Welsi

FISH

Fusigobius neophytus

Pterapogon kauderni

MODS

sealing off the bottom over flow slits

StevieT's media rack

knocking out the false floor in chamber one (thats where the heater will go)

adding a K Nano

possibility of replacing the 10k bulb with a 50/50 (i like bluer tanks)

any and all criticism and advice is welcome! thank you for stopping bye

FTSIMG00051-20090810-1655.jpg

tools required to remove the false floor in chamber 1

018-3.jpg

yes that IS my REAL right hand B) B)

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Cool!

If you go with the first stocking plan, I'd advise caution on the Peppermint Shrimp.

I have seen over and over again that they will start picking at corals if they don't have aiptasia to eat.

I'd also advise not going over 1.5" on the sandbed, it tends not to work well in nano's.

yes ive heard about the peppermint shrimp doing that as well, as far as fish go i am either going to get a firefish OR a dusky jawfish

i got a nice little box of goodies today from Sue!!!

looks like 3 frags of zoo and a YUMA! im so stoked to get these into my tank

pix when they are all open!

more bad photography WOOHOOO

green palys

newtankandpointytangs002.jpg

foreground: fuzzy pic of kitchen goodies focus: supermang shroom

newtankandpointytangs008.jpg

best pic i could get of one of my frags from MamaSue

newtankandpointytangs010.jpg

mine baby Yuma (also from Mama Sue) with zoo's from mamaSue in the background

newtankandpointytangs006.jpg

yea i would do either or not both...probably wouldnt end well for the sexys so i guess ill wait and see which one pops up in my LFS 1st

*prays for a tiger pistol*

i dont mind, i was actually waiting for someone to bring it up. Normally i tell people its from a shark,python,lawn mower, farming equipment, i had to cut em off to escape from some impending death. but thats all BULL$h!7 i was born that way.

its fun to make people cringe, my right finger, see that bit the curves to the left, i can twist it ALL the way around

Awesome new frags :D

that baby yuma should grow pretty fast. I had some tiny ones like that and they doubled in size within a couple of weeks.

WOW, really!? i cant wait to see it and it has its own island (i moved it shortly after i took pix) to grow and have multiply

WOW, really!? i cant wait to see it and it has its own island (i moved it shortly after i took pix) to grow and have multiply

Feed it thawed out frozen mysis and it will grow faster.

Helps to turn current in tank off or way down when feeding it so that food doesn't blow off before it can envelop it and eat it.

Needreefunds

Well.....didn't vote cuz I had issues with both :D

While I enjoy my pistol/goby combo, be prepared for constant excavating and the- more often than not- cloudy look to the water column. Also there is always the possibility they may choose to call a spot in the back or out of sight their home. But even if they do camp out in the front....

Anything not nailed down on or near the sand bed can and will be moved to suit their needs. So frags, shells, rubble, anything they can move ( and some stuff will surprise you ) they will if they think it provides a better means of cover for them. So they can and will be a major PITA at times. All that said tho, they are cool to watch, and the sand storms seem to be less frequent after several months.

Rather funny at times too.

As for the CBS pair......I dunno. The single CBS I have stays out of sight for the most part. Comes out at night or briefly during feedings. Very cool looking ( when you get a chance to actually see it lol ) Not sure if I would choose it / them as a focal point to my new nano.

I suppose if it were a choice only between those two options I would go with the shrimp/goby

All just my thoughts, opinions and observations of coarse. Yours may vary. :P

HTH some buddy ;)

ok i believe i have reached a verdict goby/ Tiger pistol time!

for the main reason that i dont want 2 shrimp that hide 98% of the time to be the focal point of my tank

DON'T get a pistol shrimp for a nano. Most annoying friggin' turd ever, NEVER stops digging and burrying stuff and will steal frags and drag them into his lair as part of his structural supports. I moved mine to my 20GL but he is already annoying me i may just trade him off.. CBS i think MIGHT be ok but they have such long whiskers and the 8gal isn't all that wide. I would just do a sexy parade!

or what about a fire or skunk cleaner? cheaper than a goby/shrimp combo and far less destructive. If you get a pistol odds are he will make his home in a secluded area as they like dim lighting. Most times i don't see mine but i sure know he is there from the nonstop mounds and tipped over frags.

DON'T get a pistol shrimp for a nano. Most annoying friggin' turd ever, NEVER stops digging and burrying stuff and will steal frags and drag them into his lair as part of his structural supports. I moved mine to my 20GL but he is already annoying me i may just trade him off.. CBS i think MIGHT be ok but they have such long whiskers and the 8gal isn't all that wide. I would just do a sexy parade!

or what about a fire or skunk cleaner? cheaper than a goby/shrimp combo and far less destructive. If you get a pistol odds are he will make his home in a secluded area as they like dim lighting. Most times i don't see mine but i sure know he is there from the nonstop mounds and tipped over frags.

the digging and burrying is one of the main reasons for me to get one, i think its really cool.

ill be placing tons of little smaller bits of LR for he/she to use for support and ill be placing frags in a rack till a pick out a spot where i really enjoy them. sexy shrimp are beautiful 'n' all but i dont really like how they walk all over corals.

as far as fire or skunk shrimp go, my brother had one of each and i jsut dont really like them all that much

well! im starting to take down my 20L, i jsut cant keep up with it, so expect alot of updates soon as to the movement or corals and new purchases!

so far i've moved my favia and it already looks SO much happier

• 1 month later...

How did you recieve the tank after school on May 20th, and on May 22nd you're posting pics of the thing loaded out??? Did I miss something?

i had a 10gal set up for a few months prior to receiving this tank, i knew the 10g was a temporary tank so i never made a thread for it

MANY MANY updates, however no pics to post, camera is AWOL

Archived