Cultivated Reef

Biocube's UV Sterilizer

patrick19

patrick19

So I stopped in at my LFS this weekend during a big sale that they were having and spotted a new BioCube item on the shelves - a UV Sterilizer made specifically for the 14/29 gallon 'Cubes.

They were having a sale this weekend and it would have been something like $60, but it's $80 normally.

I've got a few questions about this item - if anyone has purchased it I'd greatly appreciate any input.

- First, is having one of these worth it? From my research into the matter, it seems like everyone's on the fence as to whether this really helps at all. I understand that the water is super clear and that it kills a lot of nasty bacteria, etc. But can it also kill beneficial bacteria?

- Also, I have recently upgraded to a maxi-jet 900. From my understanding, it's meant to be fitted to the stock pump... will this create a problem?

- Is that a reasonable price for something like this? Or should I just find a non "BioCube" specific model and use that?

- Will heat be an issue for this?

I understand that this is a pretty new release from BC - just curious to see if anyone here has already purchased one of these and what their experiences are with it. Thanks!

patrick19

I think this may be too new of an item haha. It doesn't seem like anyone has purchased one of these yet. I can't even find it on ebay or google.

Maybe I should be one of the first to get one ;)

• 4 months later...
  • 1 month later...

I purchased one about a week ago. My water is much clearer, not that I had clarity issues before but I have noticed a pretty big difference. I think if you can afford to buy one they are a good idea, and so far I think it's worth the money. I also haven't noticed any increase in water temp, which I think would have seen by now. I also like the fact that any water returning to the tank passes through the sterilizer. Here it is installed on my BC29.

post-48178-1257224892_thumb.jpg

Archived