Pod Your Reef

Reefriders Solana Build Adventure

reefrider

Big shout to everyone here at Nano-Reef! I have to give huge props to all those who have posted their insight, experience and knowledge. I have spent hours (more like months <-- girlfriend inserted) reading these forums and the insight provided has expedited my learning curve immensely. Nicely done all of you!

Okay now, let’s bring you all up to speed: I set out to buy my little girl an aquarium for her fourth birthday, November 25, 2008. I found a cool used 8G Biocube with some corals and two Nemos’….err, False Percula Clownfish. The aspect of a fresh water tank bored me and I thought, oh, come on now, how hard can this be? Right? Bang, my first lesson! As the the proverbial schooling ensued, it was quickly followed by my little ol' brain being slammed with the realization that I had yet to fully comprehend the insane act of environmental creative mojo that goes on in a reef tank. None of this mattered, my lil’ one went bonkers and the deal was sealed. I now had to step up as they say.

Fast forward four months and I am hopelessly stricken with yet another addiction (as if I needed another one) and of course in my dazed delirium, I most naturally came to the only conclusion possible: I needed another tank: a Solana rimless no less!! Please, someone help me! After two months of looking, I found a good deal via craigslist on a used Solana with a stand and a lot of goodies. Very stoked to say the least!

In the meantime, I was exposed to ‘crazy4acros’ on reef central and his Bonsai creation. Wow, truly inspiring! I now saw the hobby through completely different eyes only to find myself frequenting the neighborhood street corner every night to get my fix (aka: front of tank or some forum). Naturally, I set out to emulate his rock work. I ordered acrylic rods and began to hunt for rock. I went to every LFS in town, at least twice, okay maybe three times but was not finding what I wanted. Finally, I came across a local reefer who was selling what he termed “very cool rock” for 2.50/lb.. I agreed with the coolness factor and felt I scored!

After a lot of scheming, I realized that it would be difficult with the 15" front to back of the Solana to emulate the Bonsai design. I had no qualms of flattering him by trying but in my opinion, the Solanas's depth limits the ability to showcase the openness and expanse of the Bonsai.

Nonetheless, I kept these aquascape goals:

• Some type of Bonsai feel or inspired look

• Keep sandbed exposed for a clean open look

• Multi-level availability (shelves & ledges to introduce corals for varying light requirements

• Hiding places & tunnels for fish

• Depth not only from top to bottom but from front to back

• Interesting views from all three sides

Equipment: Tank Goals are to stay as stock as possible…not much of DIY’er ....yeah right, already I'm scheming.... stop laughing :-)

Solana 34 gallon tank

Solana Stand in black (will eventually tint window)

Viper 70w MH (short term, until I get a Nova Pro Extreme)

1st Chamber: Stock skimmer with Bioballs (clean monthly) (eventual Sapphire Skimmer)

2nd Chamber: Removed Bioballs (possible chemipure depending on parameters)

3rd Chamber: Stock return pump

ATO Bottles Removed (Eventual ATO setup)

Koralia Nano (adding another when I begin to place coral)

Stealth Heater 100W

Typhoon III Extreme RO/DI w/ customized Taste/Order Filter & Tank for drinking water (ordered)

Refractometer (trying to figure out which one)

50lbs of live Rock

20lbs Fiji Pink Sand (ordered)

Corals: color and movement

Neon Green Tip Frogspawn

Purple Tip Hammer

Gold Torch Coral

Ricordeas (several colors)

Sponge?

Neon Candy Canes

SPS with upgraded light

Inhabitants:

I am quite drawn to the Picasso Clowns and am considering 2-5 Chromis in hopes they school. Saw a Fromia Starfish that I like too and of course the usual clean up crew.

Thanks for taking time to read the ramblings of a wild man and allowing me to share...your comments are most welcome! :)

First shot at Aquascaping:

Front View:

post-40823-1240699599_thumb.jpg

post-40823-1240699622_thumb.jpg

Side View:

post-40823-1240699667_thumb.jpg

post-40823-1240699693_thumb.jpg

Cool aquascape.

Ditch the bioballs.

Make sure you get the Nova with the individual reflectors.

Welcome to NR, and GL! :)

Appreciate the comments, thank you.

Boss rockwork Reefrider. Where'd you find the "very cool rock" guy?

I stumbled upon him via craigslist. After working with it, I wish I would have bought all of it from him instead I only grabbed about 75lbs. He had about 150lbs and every piece was unique. I wish I knew what kind it was.

Fiji Pink Sand went into the tank this weekend. :D I will follow up with some pics.

While putting in the sand I tried another option to showcase one of the rocks better. What do you think? Very happy with the sand color and grain size!

V1:

post-40823-1240896257_thumb.jpg

V2:

post-40823-1240896442_thumb.jpg

Thanks westcoastreefer84 on the rock! The Viper just temporary until I can afford Nova Pro Extreme. Although, I am digging the shimmer of the halide.

TriggerHappyDude

I just might have to get me one of those Vipers for times when I want to see some "Shimmer"...I won't get it with my T5 bulbs, but this could be an affordable alternative...cool tank, nice rock work, can't wait to see stuff grow and live in it soon!

V2 has my vote.

Appreciate the comments, my girlfriend says it looks like a dog or a dragon as well. The left top rock to me looks like a Manta Ray.

Yesterday, I woke up to see hundreds of pods dancing in the water....unexpected but very cool especially after five days of rock, water and sand. Skimmer seems to be doing its job.

As to the aquascape, V2 seems to be the consensus which for the most part I agree so I lowered the top rock more in V1 and also rotated the left bottom one: a bit of both worlds. Apple/Oranges I suppose and I was getting obssessed over it had to make a call....lol! I hope I am not the only one who aquascapes in his sleep.

Installed my Typhoon Extreme RO/DI and am extremely happy with it. The convenience factor can not be overstated. Get some pics up later tonight

reefrider

Typhoon Extreme RO/DI Setup with RO Tank: I took the stock unit which includes a lot of peripherals and swapped the 150g membrane with the 75g for better extraction and then further customized it more for my needs.

System is set up in laundry room so when I make a batch RO/DI water, I'll throw the waste line in the washer and use the waste water to do a load of laundry. No since really wasting it ;) Pressure is about 64lbs and TDS comes in low 200's and out...well, its 0. Well built!

Using Tropic Marine Salt and with 2 1/2 cups in 5g bucket it hits 1.025 quite nicely. The RO water is most delicious.

Unboxed

post-40823-1241143623_thumb.jpg

Peripherals

post-40823-1241143639_thumb.jpg

Upclose

post-40823-1241143782_thumb.jpg

post-40823-1241143811_thumb.jpg

post-40823-1241143830_thumb.jpg

Overall View

post-40823-1241143765_thumb.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

It has been a while since I updated and have I some new pics and of course more progress but right now, I am battling a Low PH and Low Calcium issue.

post-40823-1242175857_thumb.jpg

I am getting Green Hair Algae on rock and low glass right above sand and what looks diatom (brown) on the rock. Good right?

post-40823-1242175802_thumb.jpg

post-40823-1242175909_thumb.jpg

I had hoped by now I could start adding CUC crew but Calcium an PH the way they are I am not comfortable.

Parameters:

Ammonia 0

Nitrite 0

Nitrate 10

PH 7.8

Calcium 350

Is the tank still cycling? Comments or insight are most welcome!

First off, I've only had my Solana up for 45 days so don't take anything I say as gospel.

Sounds like your ready for CUC to me, the PH and Calc should take care of themselves with water changes.

Sounds like your ready for CUC to me, the PH and Calc should take care of themselves with water changes.

Fill' er up..I am down with that but GentleBen you bring up something I was contemplating. Two weeks ago I started mixing my own water (water changes) and I am wondering if my that has something to do with it.

Seems from quick comments that parameters are okay at this stage?

Awesome, solana's are sexy, even empty. Your rockwork is totally awesome!

'Sexy Solana'...sounds like it ought to be the name of a build...lol. Thanks for the comment of the rock!

yes your paramaters are fine. your salt mix might be a bit low on the calcium and ph side. you should use B-IONIC 2 part it will take care of both issues. most use it a couple times a week . that and water changes and make sure you test

yes your paramaters are fine. your salt mix might be a bit low on the calcium and ph side. you should use B-IONIC 2 part it will take care of both issues. most use it a couple times a week . that and water changes and make sure you test

ermartin, i am using Tropic Marin salt and if I have my refractometer calibrated properly coming in at 1.025. If the mix was on the low side, would I add more salt? btw: just got the B-Ionic 2 Part but wasn't sure I should use it during cycling.

ermartin, i am using Tropic Marin salt and if I have my refractometer calibrated properly coming in at 1.025. If the mix was on the low side, would I add more salt? btw: just got the B-Ionic 2 Part but wasn't sure I should use it during cycling.

no your salt is fine what i was saying is your mix might be low in calcium and PH so the 2 part solution will fix it

no your salt is fine what i was saying is your mix might be low in calcium and PH so the 2 part solution will fix it

Gotcha. I was buying water from LFS and it was very good. I can tell with my RODI setup that it has changed a bit but your follow up has been appreciated. I will be adding a small CUC today.

Two weeks ago I found a fair amount of water underneath my tank. Unfortunately, I didn’t realize that while I was aquascaping and making changes to the back that I had carelessly allowed water to drip down the sides and of course eventually find its way underneath the tank.

With this said, I didn’t know this and thought I had a tank leak. A downer to say the least so I broke everything down. Rock removal was not bad but the sand removal sucked and I lost some sand volume.

I put the tank on paper and filled the tank with tap water. One day with no leak, then two days with no leak. That's when I realized my error. Stoked it didn’t have a leak but irked I was so careless.

post-40823-1242317054_thumb.jpg

Unfortunately, the stand now had bubbled and tank would not sit level. Sheesh! I had a custom piece of glass cut to the dimensions of the tank to sit on the stand thus giving the tank a level surface.

post-40823-1242317189_thumb.jpg

post-40823-1242317339_thumb.jpg

Tank is back up and I will be adding CUC in the next few days.

The process took over a week and delayed cycle. My schooling of reefing has had yet another lesson underneath its belt. :mellow:

Archived