ReefCleaners.org

Kylebeano's 50g Shallow Cube

Kylebeano

Real estate is running thin in my aquapod, so I figured it was time for a larger tank. I bought this tank, stand, and sump used from an awesome local member. The tank is euro-braced acryllic 30"x30"x13" with an almost coast-to-coast overflow in the back, and returning flow in the center. It also has a closed loop system, with a return on either side of the overflow. The sump is 24"x10"x15", the tank empties into a bubble trap, then through two filter socks, then through the middle refugium section, and finally through a sponge and into the return area. It is bare bottom, though it make not look it. Just like a rock wall, it is a rock bottom. There is no loose sand, it is all epoxied down and there is already coralline algae grown over the bottom. It's pretty neat.

Equipment:

50g Tank

13g Sump

Eheim 1260 (return)

Eheim 1262 (closed loop)

24" Outer Orbit 150w MH 2x65w PC

AquaC Urchin Pro w/ mag3

Ill be transferring everything but sand dwelling creatures from my aquapod into this tank.

Here are some pictures:

Tank when I brought it home. (we had to take our front door off just to get it in, so we put it next to the front door)

504-14-09004.jpg

504-14-09003.jpg

Sump

504-14-09001.jpg

Light hanging rack

504-14-09005.jpg

Stand (with easily removable door)

504-14-09006.jpg

504-14-09030.jpg

504-14-09031.jpg

Stand with sump and fuge light

504-14-09039.jpg

Sump with water

504-14-09043.jpg

Closed loop and drain/return

504-14-09016.jpg

The whole kaboodle all cleaned up

504-14-09034.jpg

I have water in the tank now to test for leaks and such. The bubble trap is a little louder than I expected, anyone have any advice to help soften the sounds coming from the sump? Thanks Everyone!

Yes, this is why im selling a bunch of stuffs

• Replies 125
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Now that's sexy. Going with the two island approach on this tank? It seems like it would be hard to aquascape with so much room front to back.

I really like your tank. Make sure you keep posting updated pics of the tank. Any ideas what you are going to stock it with it?

Bruce

awesome
Looks like a great start! What a cool looking tank!
thats nice

can't wait to see it filled

looking good bro.
Love it :wub:
Very nice! Some real potential here.

Thanks for the compliments everyone. This is the first tank ive had this size, or plumbed for that matter, so everything, including the sump is going to be a learning experience for me, I could use all the help I can get.

Now that's sexy. Going with the two island approach on this tank? It seems like it would be hard to aquascape with so much room front to back.
I really like your tank. Make sure you keep posting updated pics of the tank. Any ideas what you are going to stock it with it?

Bruce

I really dont know how im going to scape it. Once I drop some rocks in it Ill probably have some inspiration, but as of now Im looking at an atoll hole to the back left and an island for sps center right.

As far as stocking, im moving almost everything from my aquapod over into it. I really like the bottom of this tank, zoanthids and any matting star polyp can attatch easilly to it, so im going to have the ground covered in those, then the island for sps so it has room to grow. I want a nice school or two of fish, some small chromies then maybe a nice size group of masked or rose gobies.

Thanks everyone for the appreciation of this tank, I dropped a lot of dough in a not so fourtunate time, so hopefully I can keep this hobby up while I have it!

The tank is now filled completely with water, Ill check the salinity in the morning. The durso standpipe really is making a lot of gurgling noise and I beleive im having the flushing symdrom in the back chamber. Ive tried manuvering the drain hose so that there would be less backpressure, but it hasnt helped much. It does drain into a bubble trap that is only a few inches shorter than the sump, so maybe the lenght of the trap is part of the problem. The hole in the top of the standpipe is already 1/8", im not sure if a larger hole would calm things down. Ill take pictures and maybe a video tomorrow. Thanks for any advice or input!

Alright, here are some pictures of the drain hose and bubble trap.

50g002.jpg

50g003.jpg

I put some algae in the refugium, along with a small frag of xenia.

50g005.jpg

I also got a rock.

It has a very nice structure, lots of ledges and such. I like it.

50g024.jpg

50g023.jpg

50g015.jpg

Sweet looking tank... :)

Thanks!

Ive fixed the flushing and gurgling problems un-intentionally. A little kink in the return hose developed and now things are better. Ill test the water in a day or two to see when I can transfer things!

Tank is cycling. I helped a generous buddy break down his prop tanks in his garage (same awesome local that sold me the tank) and he gave me all the live rock I wanted, along with a very nice ATO! I still need a skimmer, any suggestions for one with a smaller footprint than 9"x7"?

Actinics

50g049.jpg

50g052.jpg

50g055.jpg

W/Halide

50g058.jpg

50g060.jpg

50g061.jpg

Fuge

50g056.jpg

this tank is WIN

Haha, thanks dude. It is pretty awesome having a larger tank now.

I now have a refractometer, sg is good. Ammonia is 0, nitrite is 0, nitrate is 0. Cycle over. Expect some updates soon.

sweet tank.Some day ill get a shallow cube

Thanks, but that 30 breeder is a hell of a tank already!

i love the dimensions of this tank. it reminds me of a tide pool for some reason.

I know! The dimensions are great, I just wish I could fit the stand through a hallway lol. My dad calls it a lobster tank because it reminds him of the ones in restereaunts or stores haha.

Archived