Innovative Marine Aquariums

gena's 10g nano

gena

Thought I'd formally introduce my newest creation. This 10 gallon tank was born on 1-14-09. This is my 9 year old's tank in his bedroom. I'm happy to instill the love of reefing in him as my father did for me. My dad always wanted a saltwater tank but just couldn't afford it till later in life, a few years before he died (a young 49). Reefing was a great bond for us and provided memories that will last a lifetime. I carry on in his memory :)

So, this is an acrylic 10g tank made by Clear for Life. I got a GREAT deal on it. I paid $50.00 total for it brand new at the LFS. Included the light...however, I'm not using it of course.

Equipment List:

10g acrylic CFL tank

Current USA 6x18W Nova Extreme Pro T5HO 3-10k/3-460nm Actinics

Stealth Heater 50W

Koralia nano

Koralia 1

AC 30

Livestock:

10lb live rock

15lb live aragonite black sand

1 Firefish

1 Fire shrimp

2 sexy shrimp

1 nassarius snail

several stomatella snails that continue to multiply (love these guys).

Livestock Coral:

assorted ricordeas

1 giant hairy mushroom

mix of mushrooms

mix of zoas and palys

green sinularia

green star polyps

blue clove polyps

1 mini anemone

So far things have run pretty smoothly. I did sadly lose a Yellow Clown Goby. He just wouldn't eat for me. Took little bites and continued to waste away...very sad. The green banded goby replaced him and is doing wonderfully.

I run Chemi-pure elite, pura-filtration pad, and filter floss in the HOB. I change out the filter floss and pura-filtration pad every week. I do a water change every Friday, replacing 20% with fresh D-D H20 salt. I don't add any suplements to the tank...just the weekly water change. My fish eat everyday. Now for some pictures, if they don't work, I'll be trying to figure out how to post these pictures!:

room_1239050595.jpg

fts_1239050587.jpg

mininem.jpg

palys.jpg

redzoas.jpg

rics_1239050593.jpg

scooter.jpg

sexy.jpg

zoas.jpg

• Replies 252
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I ordered the 20" 108w Current Nova Extreme Pro Saltwater T-5 Fixture from Dr. Fosters and Smith. They have a pretty good sale going on right now on these. Looking forward to putting it on the tank! I also have some new zoas on the way...will post pics when the new stuff comes in!

i love your tank!!

srry about your dad, glad to see you carried on his dream, ;)

thanks, and thanks :) I know he would be proud.

Awesome 10g! your son is very lucky to have you teach him how to reef :D

I wantz that Speed Racer poster :ninja:

Thanks! I have a pretty big Speed Racer fan on my hands!

Paleoreef103

Very nice zoa collection! You're putting a nova extreme pro over this tank?! Seems like overkill, but overkill in an awesome way.

wow your 10 is awesome. love your zoas and rics. very jealous.

Thanks! I got almost all of those rics and zoas/palys from reefgardener.net. I LOVE her coral and she is very professional in all ways. I highly recommend her.

Very nice zoa collection! You're putting a nova extreme pro over this tank?! Seems like overkill, but overkill in an awesome way.

Thank you! Well, my son wants a clam so with this light we should be good to go, no? Plus I want to add some montis and who knows what other sps :happydance:

Got some new things today :happydance: Got the following new frags: Candy Apple Greens, AOG's, Tubbs Blues, and can't remember the name of the other....Only the CAG's are open pretty good so I'm including a photo of them (will get photos of the others probably tomorrow). All this came from NR'er NVTE. Great guy and great stuff :) Thanks NVTE!

acclimating:

nanoreeflink3.jpg

candy apple greens:

nanoreeflink4.jpg

and just a quick shot of my 35gallon reef :)

nanoreeflink2.jpg

nice nano. from the looks of it your a zoa fan :D

You could say that :) Thanks!

huh....I just realized that this 10g was started on my 2 year anniversary of joining Nano-Reef...cool!

m'akoyPINOY
You could say that :) Thanks!

huh....I just realized that this 10g was started on my 2 year anniversary of joining Nano-Reef...cool!

happy 2 yr anniversary,gena!and sweet new addition.

happy 2 yr anniversary,gena!and sweet new addition.

Thanks! I wonder if these means I'll be starting another tank in 2 years????? I could see myself doing that. Probably sooner actually...I have my eye on a 3g JBJ PicoTope Aquarium!

m'akoyPINOY
Thanks! I wonder if these means I'll be starting another tank in 2 years????? I could see myself doing that. Probably sooner actually...I have my eye on a 3g JBJ PicoTope Aquarium!

pico???do it,do it, and put some sexies,pompoms.

pico???do it,do it, and put some sexies,pompoms.

I've gotta nurture this 10g for awhile before I start up a new project :)

But it is definitely on my horizon....I LOVE those picos!

Sweet Tank - I wanna start some for my daughters now (ages 5 and 8). The 5 year-old loves my nano, she always has her face planted against it and is wanting to show me things about it.

Love all the corals, I don't have near that many in mine - I'm jealous!

You'll love the Extreme - you have already seen mine and posted to it on the gallery - what a difference from the stock PC's!

As Always,

I am Symbiotic

Wow, it looks great! Keep up the good work with it! B)

Thank you so much! I love the look of your 30g Finnex. I look forward to seeing your new FTS when it's back up and running, I'm sure it will be superb, no pressure :)

Sweet Tank - I wanna start some for my daughters now (ages 5 and 8). The 5 year-old loves my nano, she always has her face planted against it and is wanting to show me things about it.

Love all the corals, I don't have near that many in mine - I'm jealous!

You'll love the Extreme - you have already seen mine and posted to it on the gallery - what a difference from the stock PC's!

As Always,

I am Symbiotic

Thank you :) Oh my gosh...kids are the perfect excuse for starting a new tank :D Lucky for my pocketbook I only have one! He's thoroughly enjoying it! And he loves seeing all the wonderful comments about his tank here!

I'm looking forward to getting the Extreme, yours looks GREAT! I have to go see when it's due to arrive :happydance:

looks great!

nice zoas and rics

the 35 looks pretty good too

happy reefing!

Thanks PoopCola! Your name cracks me up everytime...I love it :) Your tank looks great too! I have a yellow leather (looks just like yours) in my 35 that's in the exact same place as yours. My 35 has MH lighting...I'm not so sure I like it as much as T5. The color just looks washed out to me with the MH. The 35 needs to grow out. I've had that tank for 2 years now, but only had the MH on for about 7 months. Now things are starting to grow. I wasted many months with pc lighting.

Cool beans, did I see a mini? :)

yep, you sure did :) I love that little guy.

it's got a rock all to itself, so it can start multiplying any day now ;) I was acutally surprised that it shys away from the light. I thought anemones were supposed to love light????? maybe it just takes time. I'm hoping it's offspring will come out in the open more.

Minis are pretty indifferent when it comes to lighting. They don't require very much, so they can adapt to low or high light. Just like any nems, it'll move around until it finds a spot it likes. :)

Thank you so much! I love the look of your 30g Finnex. I look forward to seeing your new FTS when it's back up and running, I'm sure it will be superb, no pressure :)

Your welcome, thanks thanks as well!! :D After going to MAX this past weekend (Marine Aquarium Expo here in So. Cali) I'm motivated to get my Finnex back up ASAP!!

Archived