Cultivated Reef

Sand in fuge, How much is too much?

Jasoncgnu

Hey everybody!

I'm going to be adding a DIY fuge to my 5.5 and here is where I'm at so far. The tank I'm going to use for the fuge is a 1.5gal hex that has a depth of about 9 inches. I'm going to have a simple U-shaped siphon from the tank into the fuge and then I have a little 100gph pump for the return. I'm also going to grow cheato in the fuge because I can just harvest some from my 24 gal so it's free! :)

Here is where I start questioning myself, my 5.5 has black sand with no buffer capability so I want to add argonite sand to the fuge to get a little buffer. The qestion is how much should I add? If I added 4 inches of sand could I get the effects of a DSB and then would I need some inverts in there? Should I just forget the sand all together?

Please let me know your thoughts. :D

I don't think many people try to do a dsb in such a small tank. I personally would stick to some rubble and cheato, but I like to turn my fuge into a pod farm :)

If you want to try a dsb do it, and let the rest of us know if it works fingerscrossed

I would just throw rubble or LR in the fuge but I already have about 11 lbs between my penguin and display. I need to research DSBs a little more because I know depth matters, grain size, and a possible plenum but I have no idea what the best choices are.

Again any input will be appreciated! :D

BLoCkCliMbeR

dont do a DSB in that little tank.....your water volume is too small....and one day your DSB may release alll sorts of fun chemicals (hydrogen sulfide, nitrates, phosphates etc) and youll go down hill so fast you wont have time to correct it...

Archived