SaltCritters.com

New guy with AP24...

Gromet

Hey there everyone...

Been lurking for a while and decided to post for the first time today. Love the forum, very informative...

So I have an AquaPod 24.

So anyway, I got:

• Aquapod 24 Gallon
  • 30lbs of live Sand
  • 24lbs of Live Rock
  • Stealth Heater

All is up and running...

1. On my live rock, I have one piece that has this strange looking white area on it it. this area was not always white it was colerful but turned white and now looks like a strange dimpled white growth on the rock. it's a pretty big area and seems to be growing. Any idea what this is? is it normal? Is it safe? Will it go away?

Thanks,

Gromet

Scott Riemer

:welcome: to N-R.com.

I have the AP24, just upgraded lighting to a 150W Sunpod after 2.5 years.

1. Right now I'm going through the brown bloom period in the tank. how long does this usually last, it has been about 5 days. Started slow but has been getting pretty intense the past 2 days or so...

Where are you in your cycle? Was your rock "fully cured"? Diatoms is a good sign and will be cleaned up fairly quickly by your clean-up crew (CUC).

2. Top off water? What do I use, I do not have an RO/DI system as of yet... I know TAP water is a bad thing, what about bottled water like Poland Spring etc? or do I have to get RO water from my LFS for top off?

RO/DI or distilled would be the best choices for top off. Some drinking waters add stuff.

3. When I started my tank I was left with about 4 gallons of salt water that I had mixed.how long is this or even RO water good for sitting in a covered bucket? I mean, how long can I leave this sit for before it is no good anymore?

It depends. If something gets in the water, it can foul it. If the container is sealed, it will probably be ok for up to a month, but I can't guarantee anything. I keep RO/DI water in sealed jugs for as long as 2 months and haven't had a problem, but I know it was 0TDS when it went in and it remains sealed.

4. On my live rock, I have one piece that has this strange looking white area on it it. this area was not always white it was colerful but turned white and now looks like a strange dimpled white growth on the rock. it's a pretty big area and seems to be growing. Any idea what this is? is it normal? Is it safe? Will it go away?

Can you post a picture?

CoolNameGoesHere

just throwing in my .02 on these:

2. you can use distilled water, too. i used this exclusively before i got my own RO/DI filtration system.

4. might be a sponge that's bleached out. pic is always good.

Archived