Pod Your Reef

Matt's 34g Solana Reef Diary

mattdog

Hey Everyone,

I am a old member of nano-reef.com, one of the first hundred or so. I have had nano-reef tanks before (a 7g, 20L and a 29), but after my last move, I decided to not set a tank up again.....so I thought. I live near Atlanta and after visiting our new, swanky LFS, I was reeled right back in....hook, line and sinker. I originally wanted a big tank, but then I knew that my work schedule would not allow for that. My focus shifted towards an all-in-one type tank. The Current-USA Cardiff was the first thing that caught my eye at CR, but I knew that cleaning the glass would be a pain. After talking to the owner of said store, he put me onto the Solana. I loved it. Just what the doctor ordered. Later that night, I was cruising the forums on the Atlanta Reef Club and saw that someone had posted the full setup for sale...just what I wanted. I bought it 3 days later and I will be posting about it here. Here's what I have so far:

34g Current-USA Solana w\ Espresso Stand

20" Current-USA Sunpod 150w HQI w\ Moonlights

Standard Pump & Skimmer

Media Removed

1 Golden Striped Maroon Clown - 2.5"

1 Pajama Cardinal

2 Peppermint Shrimp

Full CUC (3 Astrea, 1 bumblebee, 3 nass., 3 turbos, and 4 blue-legged hermits)

A couple colonies of Xenia, Zoos and Mushrooms

Here's what's coming:

Auto Top-off from Autotopoff.com (Dual switch, sump bracket)

Reef Keeper 2 Controller with pH and Temp Probe

Dual Fans to clip on back of tank for temp issues

Turning middle chamber into mini-refugium with chaeto

CORALS, CORALS & MORE CORALS

post-691-1236703430_thumb.jpg

Front

post-691-1236703437_thumb.jpg

Left

post-691-1236703445_thumb.jpg

Right

post-691-1236703456_thumb.jpg

Aquascape...U like?

post-691-1236703463_thumb.jpg

When the lights go down....

post-691-1236703602_thumb.jpg

Pajama Cardinal...came with the tank..anyone want him?

post-691-1236703607_thumb.jpg

Peppermint and Mushroom

post-691-1236703614_thumb.jpg

Shrooms and Xenia

post-691-1236703623_thumb.jpg

This guy stays in this hole unless he's eating, chasing the Cardinal or shaking up sand with his tail at me

post-691-1236703629_thumb.jpg

Yeah...I see you...so what?!?!

post-691-1236703639_thumb.jpg

Unidentified Zoos

post-691-1236703646_thumb.jpg

Another angle

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yeah..I'm noticing that. It's a sharp looking tank. With some of the mods I've seen, I'm really impressed with some of the possibilities. I like StevieT's media rack idea. That's pretty cool. Also, seen some custom hoods and screened tops that would make keeping some jumpers possible. It's also a little bigger tank than the 29g I had, so I'm able to cram a few more rocks and corals in there. I'm definitely excited about the future for my setup.

Thanks guys...I got the RK2 in the mail as well as my Autotopoff.com system. I'll be setting that up as soon as I have time. I'll take pics as well. Contemplating finding a MP20 Vortech...haven't decided yet.

Matt

If you would like to be a sponsor for the site, please send a Pm to our administrator, Christopher Marks. Until then, please refrain from the spammy posts.

Thanks!

- Jeremai

If you would like to be a sponsor for the site, please send a Pm to our administrator, Christopher Marks. Until then, please refrain from the spammy posts.

Thanks!

- Jeremai

Jeremai,

I'm so sorry that you thought my posts were spammy. I was just detailing what I was using. You know when other people did that in their posts, I found it helpful. If you have a beef with what I do in my posts, please pm me and I'll address it instead of flaming it out in front of everyone. I'm sure if Chris really had a problem with what I was saying, he'd pm me himself.

Matt

Jeremai,

I'm so sorry that you thought my posts were spammy. I was just detailing what I was using. You know when other people did that in their posts, I found it helpful. If you have a beef with what I do in my posts, please pm me and I'll address it instead of flaming it out in front of everyone. I'm sure if Chris really had a problem with what I was saying, he'd pm me himself.

Matt

Matt...

That wasn't directed at you... It was directed @ nanoskim.

This. nanoskim has a habit of posting spammily. ;)

Ok...so, I'm guessing the red text means that Jeremai edited that post, effectively removing it and replacing it with the spamming comment? I wish someone would tell me this stuff...It's been like 4 years people...HAHAHA....glad to be back. Got all my new goodies...I'm going to the LFS tomorrow to get some tubing to help setup my ATO. I'll be sure to post some pics when all is installed :). Also, I added a Koralia 1 and a Koralia Nano to the setup to help with flow. Seems to be working.

Matt

New Stuff....

post-691-1237325878_thumb.jpg

Auto Top-off from Autotopoff.com

post-691-1237325871_thumb.jpg

5.5g reservoir for ATO

post-691-1237325860_thumb.jpg

ReefKeeper 2 Brain attached to Solana stand door...I'm going to tint the glass so you can't see the wires

post-691-1237325903_thumb.jpg

This is the power block for the RK2

post-691-1237325911_thumb.jpg

AquaC Remora Skimmer I had laying around...kicks the stock skimmers butt and is much quieter!

New Critters:

post-691-1237325866_thumb.jpg

Skunk Cleaner Shrimp

post-691-1237325894_thumb.jpg

The best picture I could manage of my new six-line wrasse...he's so fast

post-691-1237325887_thumb.jpg

Nice colony of GSP's that hopefully will colonize the rock beside it.

That's it for now...I am having a minor bubble algae outbreak and added an emerald crab. He's hiding during the day, so no pics of him. I know that they can cause problems...any advice on what to look for?

Thanks,

Matt

Thinking about picking me up a sunpod for my AP 24. How do you like yours? Just trying to get a feel and opinions on what people think as far as growth and overall good they provide for the tank! Thanks!

Thinking about picking me up a sunpod for my AP 24. How do you like yours? Just trying to get a feel and opinions on what people think as far as growth and overall good they provide for the tank! Thanks!

Hey Trey,

I've only had mine for about a week and a half...I know my xenia has doubled in size and my mushrooms and zoos have already split a couple of times. The only recommendation that I have for you is to make sure you change the stock bulb. It is not good at all. I have the Pheonix 150 HQI in mine. It's a good looking light and does a good job.

Matt

Does anyone else's maroon clown shake his tail in the sand and kick it up repetitively? I makes the water column all cloudy and is kind of annoying.

Hey Ryan,

So far, so good. It's working great! I was looking at the osmolator and the JBJ unit and I just figured that as good as ATO.com's feedback was, that I'd save a few dollars and try it. Took me a while to figure out how I wanted to set it up, but it was a piece of cake after that.

HTH,

Matt

• 4 weeks later...

post-691-1239743930_thumb.jpg

Got some new goodies!!! Update on the tank as well

post-691-1239743935_thumb.jpg

post-691-1239743942_thumb.jpg

Changed my bulb to a Phoenix 150w HQI in the Sunpod. Big difference!

Got some new corals. Pictured.

Sold the pajama cardinal because the maroon clown wouldn't leave him alone.

Slowly but surely it's coming right along.

Ran out of space with those pics

post-691-1239744082_thumb.jpg

Nice work Matt. Like the phoenix, I will get one but will wait till this one burns out. Lots of nice coraline growth....

Hey Ryan,

Just saw your thread. Your tank is looking AMAZING! I'm just going really slow. Trying to snipe a lot of frags from my local reef club (Atlanta). The Phoenix has worked great for me. The coral growth is truly amazing and seems like it's been in fast forward for the past few weeks. I'm gonna have to start getting on top of my xenia. It's going crazy. I 1" little ball is now 3"x3".

Matt

TriggerHappyDude

mattdog,

Did you get a dual or single float switch from autotopoff.com?

I've got the dual, and will be setting it up with a ReefKeeper Elite, wondering how you did yours?

I see you have the same 5.5 gallon tank for an ato water holding tank as I got, what pump feeds the ato water to your tank?

Hey Trigger,

I got the dual switch. I figured can't be too safe. Haha. I just used the kit that he sells on the site to set it up. I had a Maxi-Jet 1200 laying around and put it to good use. What I did is had a 1/2" ID tube go off the PH and then used a down-converting coupling to connect to a 1/4" line. Works awesome! All I did from there is use a 1/4" drill bit to drill two holes into the bracket and fed the line through them and pointed it down toward the tank. It's working great!

Bruce,

Thanks for the support man! I will be certain to keep the thread up to date at least monthly.

Archived