Coral Vue Hydros

55 Gallon Reef

Gene0514

Hi guys

I started my 55 gallon reef pretty recently. I have 70 lb of live rock and 40 lb of live sand in there. My equipment is a Cascade 1000 canister filter, a SEIO 320 powerhead, a Maxi-jet 600m and a visi-jet skimmer.The long fixture you see in the pics is a 2 bulb t5 fixture. I also have a 24" 72W PC fixture on it. I will get more corals (including LPS) when I get a 216 Watt T5HO fixture.

Anyway, we all know that no thread is complete without pics so read the rest of the thread to see them!!

Cool cool man. I also run a 55g reef. It has a 2 bulb T5 fixture also and I keep a nem and some softies as well. shrooms, gsp and xenia. I have a prizm skimmer that blows lol and a canister filter. So I hope you have some great success. Very simple, nice aquascape so far.

Cool cool man. I also run a 55g reef. It has a 2 bulb T5 fixture also and I keep a nem and some softies as well. shrooms, gsp and xenia. I have a prizm skimmer that blows lol and a canister filter. So I hope you have some great success. Very simple, nice aquascape so far.

thanks!

I just emptied the skimmer cup, the skimmate was yellowish so i know it's pulling out something

I have a couple pieces of silverside in a piece of cloth rubberbanded to make some ammonia.

I have a 55 with the same skimmer. How is it working for you mine took a while to break in but it works ok now. It helps to turn the red knob on the top down and you will get darker skimate. I like your rockwork but maybe a little more rock. What are your plans for stocking.

It took me about a day to start skimming

how much gph do you set your's to? where is the red thing in the flow meter?

That's only about 54 lb of rock

I have another 16 lb of live rock in the 20 which is gonna be transferred once the tank is cycled

For stocking I am gonna have like 3 or 4 clownfish, 1 yellow-tail damselfish, a yellow tang (while it stays small (dad insists(dad's paying))) and eventually a mandarin once the pod population is good. I'll try to get one that eats frozen though. Oh and maybe a firefish or two. Any other suggestions?

Nice! i like the slope scape :) give the skimmer a while and it will skim better, just ahs to break in

thanks

most of the light is gonna be on the left so thats y i went with a slope

My skimmer's getting better!

the skimmate's getting darker and a lot more is being skimmed out

here's a pic, it almost overflowed the collection cup

0308091125.jpg

I also checked my ammonia yesterday, its at 0.25 ppm

sounds like a guy on a budget. hope it turns out like you want it.

lol you got it

I'm 14 so my dad's paying

Probably in May, I'm gonna get a 4x54W HO T5 fixture

(birthday money FTW!)

I also have a 55 gallon, I run a 260w PC 4x65 fixture and Im planning on adding a 2x54w T5 on one or both sides depending on if I can fit them. Tank looks good so far.. good luck with the transfer!

Thanks everyone

The nitrite is 0.25 ppm so its getting closer to the end of the cycle.

the T5 fixture I wanna get is on aquatraders.com

any opinions on that site?

Research their products, there is alot of mixed reviews. They are cheap and most will need some modifcation before or down the road. Esp the halide systems. What is the general plan for the tank? That may help on lighting choice.

Research their products, there is alot of mixed reviews. They are cheap and most will need some modifcation before or down the road. Esp the halide systems. What is the general plan for the tank? That may help on lighting choice.

soft corals for now and eventually adding LPS with the upgraded lighting

Archived