d'Espresso's Pico "Making a comeback"

d'Espresso

Recent FTS:

This month April 2009 FTS:

IMG_0086.jpg

last month

FTS.jpg

Established since November 2008

I must admit I was a bit edgy to try the jump in a saltwater tank plus, people always told me that Saltwater tanks are a PITA, or difficult or both. Because of this, I always wanted to prove the LFSs and the people that are around and always laugh at me for building such a small reef tank. But I would like to achieved to have a better understanding with small reef tank and have fun with it. So I am confidence enough after reading and reading a lot of information on picos and landed on one of the greatest pico tank thread and his guides: (hands clapping) Of course lots of thanks to Mr. El Fab and his amazing accomplishment on his 3 gallon pico(check out his thread). So I tend to stay on the saltwater side of the store and got everything started back in November 2008 til current date.

After many months since last November 2008 of having a saltwater setup, this is my out comes:

First Choosing The Tank:

The 3 gallon JBJ Picotope after it was first setup..

DAY 1:

IMG_0222.jpg

The Pico is kept in the bed room, so the main issues to overcome were the size, the look (outside look), and sound (or lack of it). My decision to go with an JBJ Picotope 3 Gallon tank was based mainly on these points initial points of concern as well as basic preference. I really liked the way that the Picotope looked setup as a Pico reef on other peoples websites. I also liked the fact that the Picotope could be setup without the clutter of any additional equipment such as a sump, skimmer, or large fans. This helps keep the actual system itself looking very simple, nice, clean, and compact.

To prepare the tank for water, I DIY custom the Aquaclear70 refugium. The Hang On Back filter (HOB filter) is fitted on the back of the tank, and put a permanent background on the tank as well. The tank lid is topless due to gas exchange that I do not want to keep a close lid. I wanted good tank coverage but due to open top lid. I can not keep a goby fish because sometime goby fish like to go commando and suicide mission to jumped out, but I did went with a Yellowtail damsel and he is still in the tank til today happy to be in the pico. So before you purchase a fish make sure you do your research first and a must have full established tank. Also keeping a fish is the last thing on your list that you want to keep in the tank.(“that’s what el fab said”) But either then what fish u want to have my accomplishment that I have successful that I had kept a yellowtail damselfish, very small and active fun to watch. More to come..

(note: so far no jumpers yet.)

IMG_0295.jpg

To put a permanent background color on the tank, I went with Blue Krylon spray paint which I purchased at WalMart. Krylon spraypaint is safe to paint on vinyl, glass and rubber, so I figured this would be the safest on if it were to get onto the aquarium silicon. I made sure to mask off the tank very well with News paper and scotch tape before painting, and ended up putting on 4 or 5 coats of paint. Be careful after you paint the tank, because it can scratch pretty easily. Let it dry all the way. Don't ask how I know that, grrr.

IMG_0230_2.jpg

Lighting

I am using the Current USA retrofit 32watts PC just like others that is a common thing to use for this particularly tank. I have been dealing With Heat Issues caused by lighting

After installing the new lighting and trial running the tank with water in it, I found that the tank was running fairly not to hot. The temperature rise alittle, But water evaporation which is seem to be the next problem and have taken care with a DIY ATO (Auto Top Off) I’ll recommended and show a easy DIY ATO that you can do for your tank this size.

I performed one other proactive measure concerning the heat issue in the Pico Reef tank. As an added precaution, to keep the tank temperature down to 80 in the summertime, I added a small Azoo fan from Dr. fosters and Smith directly to the back of the lightstrip. I am happy with this fan, but it is a little bit loud, in fact, it sounds like a computer... Holy Molely!

IMG_0153.jpg

The fan and day light is all on the same powerstrip which is then running on a timer. This insures that when the daylights come on in the morning around 9:00 am, the fan comes on as well. At night when the lights turn off, the fan turns off as well.

Lighting Schedule

The lighting is run on a basic timer for 12.5 hours on and 11.5 hours off. This lighting regimen has worked well for my Pico Reef tank and has produced great growth rates with all the corals.

Other Heat Issues

In the winter, nights get much colder than the reef ever should, so I have installed a Threma 25watt submersible heater in the back of the refugium. The heater was set to temp (80 Degrees Farenheit) during the initial test running of the tank. I have used Therma brand heaters for quite some time with my other tanks and have had only good experiences with them. I have not read any bad press on the various reef boards about these heaters either.

Water Movement

To move water in the Pico Reef, I have employed a AquaOne Powerhead and a AquaClear70 HOB Filter. The AquaOne is working well for the tank and is very quiet. These powerheads are adjustable flow, but I have it running on the highest setting possible attached to my daylight to get the coral at it highest peak in the day. The AquaOne is rated to flow at 73 gallons per hour. It sounds like alot for 3 gallons of water, but it really is not that strong of a flow. I have it sitting hiding in the back and position the nozzle to hit directly to the top of the water surface to break up the current from the AquaClear70 current flow. This seems to create some nice wavy currents.

Filtration

To handle filtration in the Pico Reef, I chose to use 5lbs of Fiji Live Rock, 1’1/2 lbs of Live Sand from our (LFS) Local Fish Store, and 2 10% Water Changes a week. I also use chemi-pure elite and filter floss along with chaeto with reversing lighting for my refugium.

Daily Routine

I set my DIY custom ATO with RO/DI water topoffs around 2pm in the afternoon where water seem to start evaporating from the tank. I purchased my RO/DI water by the gallon at the Local Fish Store.

IMG_0333.jpg

IMG_0335.jpg

Weekly Routine

Each week I perform a 10% or 2 liter waterchange on the tank using premixed Saltwater that I purchase by the gallon at our Local Fish Store. My Local Fish Store mixes their RO/DI water with Tropic Marin salt mix, and I would recommend this salt to others since it has worked so well in the tank. I carefully check the salt to be mixed to a specific gravity of 1.024. When removing the 10% gallon of water from the tank, I vacuum out the dirty sand, scrub the glass, and excess deitrous if it is obvious. The vacuum I made is simply a piece of Rigid Airline Tubing and a piece of regular Airline Tubing as a small aquarium vacuum. The rigid Airline Tubing is great for vacuuming rocks and small hard to reach areas.

A Tip that I have learned the hard way but sure paid off to do before water change is:

To get the replacement water closer to the tank temperature, I just put the gallon container in a sink with some hot water in it. After I am done with the tank vacuuming, the water temperature has usually come up nicely in the gallon container. Then I can added my new water in the tank. And make sure I put everything back into place.

Also, decide if anything needs pruning like the Corals and Macroalgae need pruning in such a small environment. Xenia and Green Star Polyps (GSP) for instance is almost invasive by nature since it grows so quickly and needs to be pruned regularly so it will not take over your tank and your neighboring corals.

IMG_0146.jpg

Feeding Routines

Seem to be fun watching and feeding the Yellowtail Dasmel a couple times every other day with small Formula One flake food and also feed the sexy shrimps and pom-pom crabs with shrimp pellet or flakes and brine shrimp. I also feed Marine Snow directly into the tank and watching the snow food gets around in there and feed it once a week. The fish and inverts seems to like the Formula One flake food much better than the pellets.

IMG_0227.jpg

The Rainbow Yuma and other corals gets fed once a week or so a small piece of seafood that I have premixed before feeding time. So far I have try to feed chopped brine shrimp, reef solution, and clyopee.

Rainbow Yuma 3" main piece of the little reef

IMG_0267.jpg

Tank Specs:

-3.5 Gallon JBJ Picotope (painted black on bottom and blue background)

-12" 36w Current USA Sunpaq power compact light

-Aquaclear 70 HOB (modified refugium w/ picotope 9w light custom fitted "growing Chaetomorpha")

-25w Heater (maintained at 76-80`F)

-5lbs of cured live rocks

-1’1/2lbs of live fine sand

-AquaOne powerfilter

-Nano Nimble(must have)

-DIY ATO using RO/DI

Lighting Schedule as follows:

-Actinic: 8:00a.m.-11:00p.m.

-Daylight: 9:00a.m.-10:00p.m.

-Lunar L.E.D.: Always on

-Reverse photoperiod lighting for refugium "growing Chaetomorpha": 11:00p.m.-8:00a.m.

LiveStock:

Mainly mushroom and zoa corals, SPS, and sexy shrimps along with 2 pom pom crab. My tank is filled with the usual hitchhikers: pods, snails, worms brittle, asterina stars, and feather dusters.

Invertebrates:

-3 Red-legged hermit crabs

-4 nass snails

-1 turbo snails

-2 Sexy shrimps

-1 Pom Pom Crabs

Fish:

Yasha Haze Goby

IMG_0191_2.jpg

IMG_0287.jpg

IMG_0316.jpg

IMG_0260.jpg

Soft corals:

-assorted mushrooms

-assorted florida ricodeas

-Rainbow Mother Yuma

-Green Yuma

-Orange Yuma

-assorted zoanthids

-green star polyps

-Neon green toadstool

-Pom-Pom Xenias

SPS:

-Montipora Capricornus(Green and Orange)

IMG_0307.jpg

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Excellent post... very awesome photos... and great looking pico!!

Me = taggin' along fo' sho'. :)

Well done!!

1st photo... what kinda zoas are at the top in the fore front? ...those look sweeeeet. :)

That tank looks excellent! Great job! I like that auto topoff. Did you drill a small hole in your foge to mount it?

Excellent post... very awesome photos... and great looking pico!!

Me = taggin' along fo' sho'. :)

Well done!!

1st photo... what kinda zoas are at the top in the fore front? ...those look sweeeeet. :)

Thankyou PSYS, Gerber77, and Rehype for the nice comments. I finally found some time to write up on my journal. I did not want to post any at first. It took me along to write out my thoughts and learning about having and what's not in a pico. I'm still having some issues with heat especially spring and summer time is coming soon plus I live in an apartment upstair. I'm thinking about upgrading to LEDs lighting to reduce my heat issue. Hopefully I can work something out. -PSYS about my first picture of the zoas, I have no idea what kind it is but later tonight when I get home from work I will post a closer picture and maybe some one can help us out on the Zoas.

Here is the zoas you asked but not sure of whats the name of it:

IMG_0145.jpg

You can get a little computer fan and blow it across the top of the water and it will take care of your heat problem.

el fabuloso

This is a fabulous pico in the making! Looks like you've got the secret formula down as well. ;)

Your ATO looks interesting, care to elaborate more on how that works?

In a word jealous. How long did it take you to stock up to that level? Are you taking these corals from a larger tank or buying them to put in the pico? I'm just short of a month into my tank now and just got a small clown and a handful of corals. Taking my time but can't wait till the tank looks like yours. Are you going to stock a fish?

This is a fabulous pico in the making! Looks like you've got the secret formula down as well. ;)

Your ATO looks interesting, care to elaborate more on how that works?

Thanks Fab, I followed along your secret formula and added another twisted to the pico and this is what i got now. but your pico still rock my socks.. haha

Are you sure you're interested in my ATO? i don't mind to shared but its kinda ghetto.. lol but yeah i will post up one soon later this week with lots of pictures and you can use it for your PICO GUIDES "ATO for PICOTOPES" how's that sounds?

FallenMonkey

Wow, nice tank :o . How long do you think the yellow-tailed damsel will stay small enough for your pico?

P.S. - You left out your Pom Pom Crab on your inverts list.

el fabuloso
Thanks Fab, I followed along your secret formula and added another twisted to the pico and this is what i got now. but your pico still rock my socks.. haha

Are you sure you're interested in my ATO? i don't mind to shared but its kinda ghetto.. lol but yeah i will post up one soon later this week with lots of pictures and you can use it for your PICO GUIDES "ATO for PICOTOPES" how's that sounds?

I'm always interested in different ideas and techniques so I'm curious to see how you put yours together. :)

Edit: oh yeah, welcome to the sexy club! :welcome:

Wow, nice tank :o . How long do you think the yellow-tailed damsel will stay small enough for your pico?

P.S. - You left out your Pom Pom Crab on your inverts list.

Thanks, i fixed the inverts list. my eyes are getting blur.. haha. I think he should be fine in there for aleast 3 months til he get over sized. he have a nice 12 gallon home ready for him soon.

Updated Pictures:

FTS:

FTS.jpg

Zoas and palps: i dont know the names but could use some ID help as possible can. :lol:

IMG_0044.jpg

IMG_0039.jpg

IMG_0040.jpg

IMG_0042.jpg

Frogspawn and Hammers:

IMG_0019.jpg

My Orange Yuma producing more babies. As you can see a little neon yellow green yuma below on the side of the mother Yuma. So far She produced 12 babies and still showing more growth each month.

IMG_0029.jpg

Pom Pom Crab lost his pom pom, So he hide under the rock all day.

IMG_0027.jpg

My favorite Rainbow Yuma. its about 3" big and my Yellow tail damsel wanted to get in the picture also.

IMG_0015.jpg

Superman and Red mushroom

IMG_0043.jpg

Blue and Stripes mushroom

IMG_0033.jpg

Montipora green and orange with Blue/green Yuma

IMG_0018.jpg

IMG_0012.jpg

IMG_0023.jpg

I hear when you mess with the sandbed, it can cause a tank to crash or re-cycle.Something about how all the trapped nitrates gets releases into the water

How about black and white. I just added black to the white in my 5.5 and love the look. It made the white look even whiter. I soaked the black in old S/W from a WC in a tupperware container for about a week then added it. So far no change in water tests still no nitrates or phosphate.

I hear when you mess with the sandbed, it can cause a tank to crash or re-cycle.Something about how all the trapped nitrates gets releases into the water

Is it better to siphon the sand little by little everytime i do a waterchange? then use my old wc to add my new black sand in later.. is that a better way?

yeah i do not wanna tempt to try and crash my tank or re-cycle. good advice.

This pico puts mine to shame... -_-

Not a bad thing though. ;)

Thanks for the nice comments.. but you're one of the rest of everyone on nano-reef that inspired me to get sexies in a pico. haha "i finally made it to the sexy club!" :lol:

How about black and white. I just added black to the white in my 5.5 and love the look. It made the white look even whiter. I soaked the black in old S/W from a WC in a tupperware container for about a week then added it. So far no change in water tests still no nitrates or phosphate.

Wow the famous "debbeach13".. most honor to have you here.. thats a wonderful idea of using old WC to soak the black sand in. i was thinking about doing it slowly removing my old white sand and use the WC to soak the black sand for couple months with a power filter to circulate the water and sand. Later i will add in also slowly to let it adjust and not mess with the nitrates or phosphates. I usually do two 10-15% WC each week.

I was planning out what it would look like if i switch out the White sand to Black sand. Maybe the black sand can make my corals pop out their color more. im still debating and not wanna stress out to much. :mellow:

Archived